X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to snake from the roof

Almost took a serious tumble off the roof the other day due to my own stupidity. I stepped on a cable and tripped. How do you guys do to do this safely (Climbing harness, LONG ladder flat on roof, etc.)? We have some very steep roofs in the area that some plumbers decline. It would be a good niche to corner if I could do these jobs.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Best way to snake from the roof

Gear Junkie,

Did you see the post with photo's a while back where the plumber poster used a long length of 3" plastic to make a snake guide tube that went from the roof vent down to his snake that never left ground level.I thought it was pretty ingenious,heck maybe thats the way it's done in his area,I've just never heard of it around here.He used a series of fittings to make a gentle what looked like 135 degree sweep extended it to the ground and used an 1/8 bend to level it off at his snake.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10387

origional posted by ALL CLEAR SEWER.
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I saw that and that's what we need to show on these forums. Smart man that thought of that. My area has a bad problem of over development so they build additions up. But they don't build a whole new floor. They take off part of the roof, add 1 room up top and then redo the roof. The vents get extended almost 25 feet in the air but the edge of the roof where the gutter is, is only single story level high. I put my flashlight(I wrap an old innertube tire around it to keep it from slipping) on the roof and it slid right off. That should of been an omen.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i use to use flex 1.5'' pvc hose. i would run my snake through it, attach my cutter, then band it to the vent with a 2 x 1.5 or 3 x 1.5 or 4x 1.5 band.

now with my k-60, i take it up to the roof with me

if i don't feel comfortable climbing on the roof, then i pull a toilet.

if the building has a built in ladder, i will climb it. if it doesn't, then i only go what my 20' little giant will do.

i've never fallen , but i've been scared enough to not go back up on that roof. i do have a safety harness in the truck, and i have used it for other jobs, just not roofs.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Nice call on the little giant ladder Rick. Never Thought of that on the top 5. It's the BEST ladder I've ever been on and I use to do cable back in the day.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

On A steep roof your best way would be pull a toilet or if possible cut in cleanout in wall, some roofs a cherry picker comes to mind. But way to much money, just pull the toilet or trap. freddy

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Gear Junkie,

Did you see the post with photo's a while back where the plumber poster used a long length of 3" plastic to make a snake guide tube that went from the roof vent down to his snake that never left ground level.I thought it was pretty ingenious,heck maybe thats the way it's done in his area,I've just never heard of it around here.He used a series of fittings to make a gentle what looked like 135 degree sweep extended it to the ground and used an 1/8 bend to level it off at his snake.
                Well thanks for all the kind words
                I`m the only one I`v ever seen do it this way but I`m sure others will see me doing it and give it a try.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

?? Why wouldn't you just stand over vent, run machine with foot switch, pull cable up and over top rung of extension ladder? That other way sounds like extra work to me.
                  "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

or belt yourself to the vent, if pitch is great or roof is icy.
                    "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

I have a similar rig as posted in the pics. Most of the time I just run it through the ladder steps or between a couple of times. I then run two cords , one to roof with foot peddle then one to machine. If the home is one story and vent is within 10 feet of roof line this works fine. I use a Gorlitz machine and set the transmission slowly forward. After reading all the threads on the k 60 , I think I Will purchase one for the next truck I have to stock. From time to time I will also break the machine down and take it up on the roof especially if I know there are roots.
                      Last edited by Crappy days; 06-13-2007, 01:33 PM.
                      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by rafterq View Post
                        ?? Why wouldn't you just stand over vent, run machine with foot switch, pull cable up and over top rung of extension ladder? That other way sounds like extra work to me.
                        I can set-up and stay on the ground for the 2 hours it took to clean that sewer. (189`)
                        I dont know about you but I`d rather clean from the ground then on a roof that has 8" of snow on it. Ever had a cable snag while on a roof top???? Not pretty if your not ready.
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

One nice thing about living in sunny San Diego is you don't have to deal with snow. Come to think of it you don't have to deal with much harsh weather at all.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I'm fond of cabling through the stack , I charge more but it's a push . To cable from the roof or pull and reset a toilet evens out time wise .{since I am a T & M shop]. The hardest part is getting the K-1500 up there . Then I suggest we sound the line or locate to find the clean-out you know is there but buried or sell them a clean-out install. I always keep my mach. close to the access for power . With that pvc / abs extension it seems you'd have a hell of time working the cable on a root infested line . For a soft blockage I could see the possible uses .

Comment

with the K-7500 it`s no problem at all. Do it all the time and I dont have to try and figure out how I`m gonna get that big K-7500 on the roof ...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X