X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct fitting for LP firepit

Just looking for some help regarding how to connect a firepit the correct way.I have a customer that want me to build a firepit with a 18" burner ring.I did connect the LP to the fire ring and it burn way too rich,do i need a airmixer/orifice?The fire ring is 1/2" black pipe and a 1/2 " flex line.Thanx.

Re: correct fitting for LP firepit

If the ring was meant for NG the orifice will need to be changed. An NG orifice on an LP system would give you a large orange flame, at least it did on my stove

Comment

Its just a 1/2 " black pipe ring....It doesnt have a orifice

Comment

We need pictures!!!

Does the pipe ring have tiny holes drilled in it?
        Does it have a rating plate attached to it?
        What do you mean by "burning way too rich" exactly?
        Is the burner supposed to be buried in sand?
        I suspect you at least need a regulator

~Bill

Comment

sorry no pics.....ok,from the tank i have a regulator that goes to a key valve,1/2" flexline from the key valve to the ring,the ring is 1/2 inch as well and have 1/16 holes.What i meant was that its really sooting,burning too rich.Thi ring is sitting in a 3" deep burner pan just on the top of the firepit.I was just wondering if there is something i can use to make it burn cleaner?Airmixer?Thanx.

Comment

The sooting is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. Too much gas and not enough oxygen. I wouldn't put an a venturi unless it's suppose to have one. What happens when you throttle down the key valve? Does it burn any cleaner? What medium are you using in the pit? sand? rocks? ceramic logs?

OMG I just read your 1st post again. Is this thing home made?
            Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-03-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Call a gas fitter or plumber in before you blow somthing up, If your building something from scratch, when this thing malfunctions your going to be paying out the nose freddy

Comment

It works just fine,i just want it to burn cleaner.Or maby i go buy some gel fuel.....hahaha.The burner pan have sand in the bottom and then lava rock on top covering the fire ring about 2".Why would it blow up?Its burning just fine as long as i dont crank it up to much.

Comment

Originally posted by swednrox View Post
                  sorry no pics.....ok,from the tank i have a regulator that goes to a key valve,1/2" flexline from the key valve to the ring,the ring is 1/2 inch as well and have 1/16 holes.What i meant was that its really sooting,burning too rich.Thi ring is sitting in a 3" deep burner pan just on the top of the firepit.I was just wondering if there is something i can use to make it burn cleaner?Airmixer?Thanx.
                  Are you sure you want that flexline there, is this firepit outside?

Comment

yes its for outdoors.The firepit itself is a 3'x3' box with ventilation all around at the bottom,the tank is placed inside.Im not a big fan of placing tanks inside,but thats the way they want it.

Comment

Re: correct fitting for LP fire pit

I don't think you will get it to burn correctly in the way I understand the way you have constructed the burner.

Almost with out fail gas burners have an orifice that injects the gas into the burner, usually a from of venture is designed into it to help pull the air into the burner, and near the place where the gas is injected there is a location to allow air into the burner mixing the air and gas with in the burner it self, and usually there is an adjustable shutter to control the air intake depending on the elevation and orifice used, and the design of the burner it self.

The fuel and air exit out of the burner when properly designed it will burn the nice blue flame,

your holes are individual orifices and the air is being mixed, on the out side of the pipe thus the poor combustion.

I would strongly suggest you buy a pre made burner designed for the purpose, rather than try to design your own,
                      or at lest follow a pre tested plan. do an Internet search there are some out there there is even a book on how to make burners for forges. but most of these do not include safeties,

~~~~~~~~~~

Remember it is one thing to build something from scratch for your self, as if some thing goes wrong the only one you can blame is your self, but to do it for some one else, that is a big difference,

first of all there are no safeties that are noted in your design, if for some reason it is left unattended and the flame goes out is there any safeties on it to shut off the gas,
                      Remember propane is heaver than air and can set in a low spot for literally days if it is not evacuated out of an area.

any burner design you put in there should have some type of automatic shut down if for some reason it is extinguished, again if your regulator is to small it can freeze up on propane, possibly over fueling or under fueling the burner.
                      Propane works like a refrigerant when it turns from liquid to gas it gets cold, If your storage tank is to small things can actually get so cold that the propane may stop vaporizing (about -40) thus extinguishing the flame,
                      and if there is not a safety system when it warms back up the gas is leaking out in the open, say the cloud of gas is blow into a candle or some thing out by the pit, CAN YOU SAY KABOOM.
                      (the reason why I say this is you do not have a orifice to control flow, only a regulator on your system as stated to control the flow of propane),

Unless your going to install a pre made and lab tested system I would not do it.

Have the customer find the burner system he wants and install it,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by swednrox View Post
                        yes its for outdoors.The firepit itself is a 3'x3' box with ventilation all around at the bottom,the tank is placed inside.Im not a big fan of placing tanks inside,but thats the way they want it.
                        swednrox,
                        I'm a little concerned about the flexline, is it corregated stainless with the yellow coating, is it at all possible it won't hold up to the elements or heat.

Comment

Here are some posiblitys
                          I don't know if they would meet the needs of your project, but it may be a starting point.

http://www.rhpeterson.com/realfyre/product3.html

http://www.cunninghamliving.com/inde...OD&ProdID=1843

http://www.cunninghamliving.com/inde...TS&Category=58

http://www.barbecues.com/web/catalog...PricedFrom%7C1

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_i...e_froogle.html

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_5813.html

http://www.rasmussen.biz/products.htm
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanx guys,i really appreciate your advice.It is a reason why i asked you this questions,im not stupid.I will look up a plumber tomorrow and see what he suggest.Thanx again.I wont take any risks.....

Comment

bhd has it right

i have made and designed and repaired many fire pits.

i can't help you with propane, as my insurance co doesn't let me work on anything that is l.p the main danger is the fact that a propane leak will settle as it's heavier than air and capable of collecting, thus the possibility of an explosion

your issue that you have is the fact that you're basically burning pure propane. the air is introduced after the holes/ jets.

the proper mixture for natural gas is 4-14% gas to air. i would guess it's very close with propane. too little air and it burns too rich, too much air and it burns too lean.

you need to get a fire ring with an air shutter assy.

if you want the dancing flame effect on top of sand then you can get by without the air shutter and let the percolation of sand introduce the air mix.

my buddies shop actually did the piping for the special effects at universal studios. this had flames coming off the water surface gas and a compressor was used to overcome the water pressure and purge the system when it shut down.

double check with your insurance co. to see if you're covered to work on l.p.

out here, i'm not

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X