X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumber ricks new line of bidets

so now that i have your curiosity, i had a call from a new client in a high rise condo.

she called explaining to me that her bidet was leaking from the vacuum breaker. since i do work in this 27 story building, i was already familiar with this kohler bidet.

she explained to me that the bidet leaked when the hot was run. i said that it didn't matter hot or cold. the vac. breaker is interconnected to both hot and cold. i told her to turn the water on more than a dribble. if it still leaked i would replace the vac. breaker seal.

she called me back after doing my test and was thrilled that it worked

she appreciated the phone fix and saving the service call this being a multi million $ condo.

since she only lives there 6 months of the year, she is putting my name and number on the back of the bidet for her house keeper and future reference

i guess it could have been worse

it could have been her urinal with my name and # on it

move over mr. kohler, plumber rick is in the house

rick.

ok, let me have it
    phoebe it is

Re: plumber ricks new line of bidets

Speaking of urinals, have you ever seen/worked on a female urinal?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I worked on a female urinal once , and it was probably a 40 year old fixture , kohler also , I believe..........never new they exsisted ,apf

Comment

Never new they existed.

Doesnt seem sanitary at all to me.

Josh

Comment

Could you explain how having her turn the water flow on harder fixed the leaking vacuum breaker? Or Let Me Explain for you a little scale or dirt under seal, and with more flow of water washed it away so it could seal, this is used only 6 month of the year at best. She ownes a high $$$$ condo I would at least replaced a seal in, or cleaned scale inside the vauume breaker, and if needed replaced the vacuum breaker. It's not like she living paycheck to paycheck so a service call would have been welcome to most people. IMO Freddy

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
            Could you explain how having her turn the water flow on harder fixed the leaking vacuum breaker? Or Let Me Explain for you a little scale or dirt under seal, and with more flow of water washed it away so it could seal, this is used only 6 month of the year at best. She ownes a high $$$$ condo I would at least replaced a seal in, or cleaned scale inside the vauume breaker, and if needed replaced the vacuum breaker. It's not like she living paycheck to paycheck so a service call would have been welcome to most people. IMO Freddy
            an atmospheric vacuum breaker works on the principal of a float. if the water is not turned on enough. the plastic float and seal will not lift/ float enough to seal and will dribble out. this is a very common issue with these type of non-pressure atmospheric vacuum breakers.

why go there and charge her to fix it, when it isn't broken

i've got better things to do. my name was given to her as a referral from the in house engineering dept. for a reason

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

So what you're saying is that just because you feel she's got money to spare, you feel entitled to taking a share of it because she doesn't know she doesn't need any work done?

Man... I hope any contractors I deal with aren't like this. That's exactly why people are afraid to call "professionals".

Comment

I did a job once for a young couple. It was a slow day and I didn't have much else to do. snaked line found it to be broken. tried to jet it so maybe it would kind of work. It didn't so I located the break. My price would have been $425. $250 for camera/locate and snake and $175 for jetting. Knowing they didn't have much money and cost would be rising due to dig up I cut them a huge break. I only charged the $175 for snaking. It turns out the dad is a local plumber. He was so thankful he now kicks me at least 2 drain cleaning jobs a week. With business slow right now, He's keeping me in business. I spent $4000 on yellow pages and get more jobs from the plumber and that only cost me $250.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                  So what you're saying is that just because you feel she's got money to spare, you feel entitled to taking a share of it because she doesn't know she doesn't need any work done?

Man... I hope any contractors I deal with aren't like this. That's exactly why people are afraid to call "professionals".
                  When every I put them in they don't leak. At low or high flow of water, If they have rust or something, they will. I see nothing wrong with going to someone home to repair something that is leaking, and they want it fixed the right way. My point about they having money is just the fact they can afford to pay for it being done right. It would be Like having your customer having to tell a guest in thier home to hold the toilet handle for the toilet to flush out right. vs having a plumber telling you,hold the handle down on the toilet for it to flush, then I wont't have to waste my time coming out to your home.... just fix the dam thing right. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE If you want to talk all you customers through how to fix their plumbing. good for you. IMO freddy

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post

When every I put them in they don't leak. At low or high flow of water, If they have rust or something, they will. I see nothing wrong with going to someone home to repair something that is leaking, and they want it fixed the right way. My point about they having money is just the fact they can afford to pay for it being done right. It would be Like having your customer having to tell a guest in thier home to hold the toilet handle for the toilet to flush out right. vs having a plumber telling you,hold the handle down on the toilet for it to flush, then I wont't have to waste my time coming out to your home.... just fix the dam thing right. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE If you want to talk all you customers through how to fix their plumbing. good for you. IMO freddy

Comment

When every I put them in they don't leak. At low or high flow of water,
                      Perhaps you have not been working with them long enough then. It is fairly common for a vacuum breaker to spill hence the need for spill-resistant vacuum breakers. Under a low flow sitsuation the vent float will not always rise about the oulet port and it will allow water to spill out of the hood.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i told her to turn the water on more than a dribble. if it still leaked i would replace the vac. breaker seal.
                        1 question...Why was she not using it more than a dribble? If it doesn't shoot 3 feet in the air it's not working right

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          1 question...Why was she not using it more than a dribble? If it doesn't shoot 3 feet in the air it's not working right

~Bill
                          it was the house keeper/ maid that told her it was leaking. she was only trying to clean it, not brush her teeth with it

freddy,
                          mark/ utah is 100% correct in his explanation of the vacuum breaker. it works on a float principal. the same way an anti-siphon sprinkler valve works. it's the pressure that causes the float to seal tight.

gene,

this is how i get referrals. the building has 1 chief engineer and 3 asst. engineers. i use to do all the common area work. but since this new(10 years there) engineer took over, he does most of it. he comes from a plumbing back round. i still get the unit calls, and the midnight emergency calls.

with over 100 units in that building, there has been hundreds of different plumbers and contractors over the years. some good some bad. i've been there since the building was completed. i came in to fix the original contractors nightmares.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X