Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please review DVW scheme for basement

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
    You've no idea how slim the resources are in this area we are building. The advice we have from our "pro" plumber contacts, none of whom will make the drive to do the project in its remote location, has been lacking. None have said they would vent the W.C. at all, relying on the stack into which its waste goes for venting, even though the stack is handling waste from a full bath above.
    You are a pro, right? So, I assume that you researched the job before you took it. So, you did give the homeowner a discount, and explain to them that the plumbing would not be done by pros, right?
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
      You've no idea how slim the resources are in this area we are building. The advice we have from our "pro" plumber contacts, none of whom will make the drive to do the project in its remote location, has been lacking. None have said they would vent the W.C. at all, relying on the stack into which its waste goes for venting, even though the stack is handling waste from a full bath above.
      Hey, private message me, for the right right price I'll do it. Oh....you didn't figure it that price, did you?
      the dog

Comment

check your code for studor vent usage. they may be allowed in your area. I would run 3" over to washer to help with flow of suds building up and blocking vent. could cause bubble to come up in toilet. Good luck, freddy

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          gdavis62,

In order to vertical wet vent your w/c you'll need approx. 16" minimum to the bottom of the 3" pipe from finished floor assuming you can get spigoting fittings.Then grade down to your P.O.C.,do you think you have enough fall?

If not then you can flat vent the W/C with the vent coming off the horizontal with a 3x2 wye and 1/8 bend.I don't know your code but Uniform Plumbing Code won't let us vertical wet vent in the horizontal vent application.So you'll have to run a waste line dedicated for the lav.We like to run 2" for the lav so we can put in a 2" cleanout to make life easy for our service buddies down the road.

You may have to provide a end of run cleanout 3" or 4" depending on your code and what size waste is coming is entering the structure.What does you code say about the total W/C you can serve for a 3" pipe How many wc do you have upstream of your poc.

The reason we are frustrated can be explained if you can take a little time and read the guy's dicussion last year on how everybody is getting a bad deal because of greedy people not hiring knowledgible tradesmen when they are charging the customer as though they are.Sorry,But we have to deal with this every day in the field.

There is a lot more to consider,before your helper starts running pipe.
          I re-read this post and a person could interperate that I could have been puting you in with a bad category of people,that was not my intention.Soooo,what's the next line item?

Comment

OK, thanks to everyone, even you flamers, for your thoughtful input. I have revised the scheme and it is shown on the attached .pdf document.

In the pic, both baths are shown, the main (and only upper) floor superimposed atop the walkout on-slab basement. The lower bath has toilet A, lav B, tubshower C, and washerbox D.

The upper bath has toilet E, lav F, and tubshower E.

Over in the kitchen, sink J is shown.

The underslab waste drains are shown dotted. The waste line for the tubshower E is shown dotted, but is overhead, and is called out as such.

Toilet A waste runs over to the main waste line, has lav B coming into it with a wye along the way, and that waste line has a vent a little downstream, called out as H-H. The walls don't stack there, thus the offset for the vent stack. That stack is dry.

Washerbox D is vented, and the vent serves tubshower C. Lav B is vented. Toilet E, lav F, and tubshower E, all on the woodframed main floor, are all vented, as is the kitchen sink J.

Howz the venting scheme look now?
            Attached Files

Comment

Run tub drain over to lav vent drain, this vent can only have lav running into it. And you need to run this to the outside,no other drain dumping into this pipe. The drain for washer should also be vented outside no waste water from above dumping into it.to tie in to vents all ready in home, you need to run the vent up above highest fixturre on the upper floor and tie in there. good luck plumbing. Freddy

Comment

Nice drawing,it would be nice to have those abilities.

So,are you saying there is only 1 existing w/c in this structure.

Let us know how deep your main is under your finished floor, this will affect your layout and sawcut.

Comment

Tips to this point,

If this is going to be a 30" tub put your waste and vent riser at 24" this will keep the vent out of the tubs valve's stud bay and give you room for your shower door backing.

Off set you w.m. waste 15" to one side or the other preferably to the right so waste stub out of the wall is more centered behind machine.

Run main to lav location for w.c. so you can have a 3" c/o in cabinet(out of sight).And then offset trap arm over to w.c. center. Main depth will determine if this is possible.

Comment

OK, here is a new look, based upon your input and that from others.

The on-slab bath in the lower walkout level, fixtures A-B-C, plus washerbox D, all have waste drains through the slab to lines under the floor.

The 3-inch waste line from the stool flange A runs under the sink lav B, where a 3x3x2 sanitary tee comes down to it from under the left side of the lav sink. The lav sink's 1-1/2 p-trap runs to a sanitary tee (2x2x1-1/2), in the 2" stack coming up from the floor. Above that tee, the stack does a 90 and the vent runs into the wall cavity behind, then up.

W.C. A is thus vented via the 2" stack adjacent the sink, which gets a little wet whenever the lav sink is drained.

Continuing under the sink vanity, the under-slab 3" sanitary drain goes over and sweeps into the 4" main, with its bottom a couple feet under the slab. Up from the fitting where the 3" drain joins the 4" main, there is a cleanout, readily accessible in the wall, because the wall in the mechanical room is open and unfinished.

The basement bath is framed under 9'-2" of overhead space, but has a dropped ceiling down at 8'-0", permitting easy access to the tubshower drain "G" above, which runs in the overhead space there and across the mechanical room, to come and stack down to the subslab drain (3") that has picked up the 3" waste stack coming down from W.C. "E".

That drain stack carrying down the tubshower "G" waste is a 1-1/2-incher, but changes to a 2" where the waste line coming down from lav "F" comes in with a sanitary tee.

The p trap that picks up the on-slab tubshower C has a 1-1/2" line going to a 2x2x1-1/2 sanitary tee in the 2-inch waste line coming from the washerbox "D". That washerbox has its 2" stack continued up and routed up over above the lower bath's false ceiling to tie into other venting, then get up through a studbay somehow into the attic, to tie into the main top vent.

Please clarify for me what you mean about tubshower plumbing. Both units are about 32-wide.
                    Attached Files

Comment

your code is probably not going to allow san tee to lay on side. you would use 3x2 wye or combo wye with street 45

Comment

Thanks for that clarification. Just to satisfy my curiosity, how does the inside geometry of a combo (which I now understand is used with its curved-out port vertical) differ from a sanitary tee, for which the tee port is looking out horizontally?

And other than that, how does my scheme look now?

Comment

Great computer skills for a general,Hey listen,Since this is a $8,500 plumbing job(start to finish) and your helper is only going to need $2,800 in wages,Josh is going to need a new set of golf clubs and a shique California wardrobe.Why don't you pm him to find out where to send the check

The natives are starting to get restless,so let's press on.

Please confirm 100% that you have at least 30" from finish floor to center of 4" main that you intend to tie in to at the location shown.

The wc A closet bend drains to a 3" san-tee,from top of 3" san-tee to 3" co tee under lav. 3x3x1.5 san-tee with 3x2 bushing.Vertical wet vent requires one pipe size larger than lower vent.

Things are going well,but I am concerned I can see the road we are heading down.Why is your regular plumber not providing consultation,even at $50.00 an hour it will make yours and others on the internet's job alot easier.At this pace it's going to exhaust a great deal of resorces to provide your customers with the proper plumbing system that they paid for.

The tub is a 2" combination up to a 2x2x1.5 underneath the wall at 24" off back (left when facing valve),on top the san -tee is another co.You might want to check with the homeowner to see if they mind a cleanout cover in the room on the backside of the tub.The co is not required But if installed makes life eaier for troubleshooting and snaking.

there are a lot more issues to consider.But I don't mind helping through posts
                          At least now readers can see some of the things plumbers must consider before they (just run a little bit of pipe and a few fittings)

Comment

Oh FFS Drtyhands will you just fly out there and do this for him so we can end this thread?

Comment

You use san tee's on vertical, like for vent going to lav 2x 1-1/2" or
                              3x1/2" depending on the size of your vent pipe going up that wall.
                              If you run the drain like dirty has described you need more depth, if you use 3" 1/4 bend for toilet and wye to branch off for lav/vent your pipe will not be as deep. Just depends on what you want to do. freddy

Comment

What's it like out there in Ventura County, CA? We are building in one of the most remote and poorest counties of far upstate NY, where the best paying jobs are school bus drivers and prison guards. We've no plans review of any kind required, nor is plumbing inspected.

Most of the shacks in this part of the woods get built DIY, or by GCs that do everything from the dig through finish.

This is a spec house . . . there is no client. You would probably gag (my partner and I did) at the GC-done plumbing work done in the completed place on the next lot over, that got bought and closed a couple months ago.

OK, back to work.

Doesn't the closet bend at W.C. "A" fit to the uphill end of the 3" drain leg that is running under lav sink "B"? And doesn't that drain leg have in it a 3x3x2 combo wye, the 2 being the hub end of its 1/8 bend? Therefore the 2" drainstack up through the slab is what we pipe our lav B drain to, using a 2x2x1-1/2 sanitary tee from the p-trap?

Downstream, under the slab where we come out of the 3x3x2, don't we continue with 3" PVC to the Y hub of the 4x4x3 combo 1/8 bend at the top end of the 4" main?

I'm not with you on all this rocket science. Why is all the depth needed? Cannot wyes and combos be flatwise at drain line junctions?

Re the tub, for which we don't want a c.o. in the room behind, and which we think we are venting over at the washer box, I'm still not clear on the 24 inches, nor do I get when the p-trap comes into play (at before slab time, or at tub-set-and-plumb time).

My thinking had a p-trap somehow going to a quarter bend going down to the 2x2x1.5 combo, the stub of the p-trap looking up a couple inches in from the wall line, centered under where the tailpiece of the tub drain assembly comes down from the overflow.

Comment

Working...
                                X