X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please review DVW scheme for basement

The attached plan shows an area of a walkout basement, slab on grade, in which there is a full bathroom and an adjacent washer/dryer closet. As can be seen, all fixtures on this floor drain through the slab to waste lines below.

We plan to drain with line sizes as follows. Does this sound OK?

W.C., 3"
    Lav sink, 1-1/4
    Tub/shower, 2"
    Washer, 2"

As for venting, must the W.C. be vented behind the fixture? If so, what size vent?

Can we get by without venting the W.C. behind, and consider the stack, seven feet down the discharge line, as the vent?

The W.C. waste line is shown in the drawing as going over to the common wall between the bath and the mechanical room adjoining, where it goes into a 3" stack that brings the waste down from the bath above.

The stack then turns at its base with a long turn 90, making the underslab main drain line, which runs under the slab at a pitch of 1/4" in 12, running out of the building to the septic tank.

If we need to go from 3 inch to a 4 inch main waste line, where do we best make the transitions?

One more question. It deals with the only other fixture drain that is in the basement slab, that for the tub/shower. How is a tub/shower best vented, when draining into a slab like shown, with a framed wall behind?
    Attached Files

Re: Please review DVW scheme for basement

How deep is the main below finished floor?

Comment

Just to make it easier for us to communicate with you what type of experience do you have with the construction industry? Some,none, alot.It really speeds things up.

Comment

I am a GC who has hired the same excellently qualified plumbing outfit for the past five jobs, but am now in a location where we've no one, so we are employing a guy who can run and join pipe well, but does not know routing, code, and practice.

The main will be about 12 inches under the slab.

Comment

yes sounds ok I would run 1-1/2 inch on lav
          I would vent behind closet or very close to lav

how many toilets above this basment on this 3" line? freddy

Comment

12" is not a lot at all,especially when you consider that the 3x2 wye with a street 1/8 (spigoting) for the w/c vent needs to be rolled above the flow line of the 3".your almost aready into the bottom of your 4" slab.

Comment

What are your options on adding a sump pump system,this will make it possible to design a system that functions properly.What is the elevation of the pipe at the tie in location?
              Last edited by drtyhands; 05-04-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

We've no problem going deeper with the main.

Comment

You cannot tie vents below flood rim of higher fixtures.so if the 3" is for upstairs waste it is out.

3-4 transition,What is your p.o.c.

What's up to the house from the septic system.

Comment

Dear Clueless,

If you are a contractor, you would hire a plumber. Not some guy who kinda knows how to join pipe.

I'll tell you who I feel sorry for: some homeowner paid you for your services, and what they are receiving is you hiring a "guy who knows how to join pipe", and you hitting the internet for free advice.

Great value for their money, yea?
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      Dear Clueless,

If you are a contractor, you would hire a plumber. Not some guy who kinda knows how to join pipe.

I'll tell you who I feel sorry for: some homeowner paid you for your services, and what they are receiving is you hiring a "guy who knows how to join pipe", and you hitting the internet for free advice.

i'll stay out of this one, but throw the dog a bone he gets a treat for this. this is not joe homeowner, but an underqualified contractor.

see my old post called underqualified, plumbers, contractors and inspectors.

sorry gdavis, but as a contractor you should hire qualified people/ tradesmen.

if you were joe homeowner, i would give you real help. as a professional you should be giving advise and not telling us you can't find a professional plumber.

it just upsets me when a homeowner gets the short side of the stick.

i do admire you for coming here to ask for help, but your hired help should be a qualified trades person.

sorry for the lecture, but i see this all day long with unqualified plumbers.

rick.
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-09-2007, 02:27 AM. Reason: typo/typo/typo
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                        Dear Clueless,

I guess my un-fan club can continue to grow but I'm with you dog , APF

Comment

You've no idea how slim the resources are in this area we are building. The advice we have from our "pro" plumber contacts, none of whom will make the drive to do the project in its remote location, has been lacking. None have said they would vent the W.C. at all, relying on the stack into which its waste goes for venting, even though the stack is handling waste from a full bath above.

Comment

gdavis,

Keep in mind most of us do not use the New York Plumbing Code. Here is a link to a pdf version of your Plumbing Code:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/new_y...g_frameset.htm

As far as the location of the vent for the water closet your code allows a 10' trap arm on a 3" trap. However, it seems as though the best location would be to wet vent your lav with your water closet vent. The answer to using your waste stack as a vent stack can be found in Chapter 9. This is sometimes a rough crowd here but if you take a few minutes to review your plumbing code you will likely get much more respect.

Good luck-Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

gdavis62,

In order to vertical wet vent your w/c you'll need approx. 16" minimum to the bottom of the 3" pipe from finished floor assuming you can get spigoting fittings.Then grade down to your P.O.C.,do you think you have enough fall?

If not then you can flat vent the W/C with the vent coming off the horizontal with a 3x2 wye and 1/8 bend.I don't know your code but Uniform Plumbing Code won't let us vertical wet vent in the horizontal vent application.So you'll have to run a waste line dedicated for the lav.We like to run 2" for the lav so we can put in a 2" cleanout to make life easy for our service buddies down the road.

You may have to provide a end of run cleanout 3" or 4" depending on your code and what size waste is coming is entering the structure.What does you code say about the total W/C you can serve for a 3" pipe How many wc do you have upstream of your poc.

The reason we are frustrated can be explained if you can take a little time and read the guy's dicussion last year on how everybody is getting a bad deal because of greedy people not hiring knowledgible tradesmen when they are charging the customer as though they are.Sorry,But we have to deal with this every day in the field.

There is a lot more to consider,before your helper starts running pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X