Vent question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent question

My neighbor is having an addition to his house using pre-built panels (two sheets of OSB with 6 inches of styrofoam between, The panel contractor is also covering the existing roof with similar panels. He (the pc) does not want to put the plumbing vents through his panels and wants the to go through the side walls. Questions:
    1. Is it legal?
    2. What problems might arise?
    3. Possible odor problems?
    4. If all above questions are o.k., what do you use for a cap or cover(screen?)?
    I am an old "stick builder" and, besides not being fond of these panels, I have never seen a vent that didn't go through the roof. But then, there are lots of things I haven't seen. Thanks for any replys.
    Jim

Re: Vent question

jim, we've done it before through side walls/ parapet walls on the roof. nothing wrong with it, but it might look funny if you can see it from the ground.

i guess the contractor doesn't want to take a chance with the integrity of the panels?

you still need a flashing and we typically terminated the pipe on a 45 coming out of the wall.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Keep it away from windows and fresh air intakes

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. Rick, the house is out in the "boonies", so if it looks a little funny, only the bears and wolves will complain. Crack, it will stick out in the gable end of the house, so no concern about fresh air. I will tell him about the 45 ell.
        Jim

Comment

What about using a maxi studor aav in the attic? Will it meet code in your area?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            What about using a maxi studor aav in the attic? Will it meet code in your area?
            O.K. What is it?
            Jim

Comment

It's an atmosphere admitance valve.

All it is is a valve that allows air to draw into a plumbing system to keep the pressure balanced when you use a fixture.It helps keep your trap seal and keep sewer gasses out of your house.

Comment

Maxi Studor is the company that makes them. Look them up on the internet and their website will give you more info than I can.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

drtyhands and gear junkie: Thanks, I will look it up.
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X