Best prep for an on-slab tubshower?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best prep for an on-slab tubshower?

OK all you masters of waste and vent, we've made our choice, and have a plumbing pro willing to come out and do the job. Thanks to all your gripings, we'll have no way of knowing (as you have pointed out a GC should know) whether he does things right or not.

I'll photo and diagram what he does, so you can throw stones at both of us then, your pipe brother and me.

All of the machinations here have left me with a bad taste for your trade, or at least how it may be practiced in your locales. It all calls to mind the secrecy maintained by the medieval guilds.

Gimme a break, it's just pipe and joints, and I'll venture to say that as many non-plumbing pros can get it right, as pros that get it awfully wrong.

Comment

[quote=gdavis62;78125]OK all you masters of waste and vent, we've made our choice, and have a plumbing pro willing to come out and do the job. Thanks to all your gripings, we'll have no way of knowing (as you have pointed out a GC should know) whether he does things right or not.

I'll photo and diagram what he does, so you can throw stones at both of us then, your pipe brother and me.

All of the machinations here have left me with a bad taste for your trade, or at least how it may be practiced in your locales. It all calls to mind the secrecy maintained by the medieval guilds.

Gimme a break, it's just pipe and joints, and I'll venture to say that as many non-plumbing pros can get it right, as pros that get it awfully wrong.[/quote]

it's the fact that most of us have worked in this trade our entire adult life. we've gone to school to learn this trade and worked as an apprentice under a journeyman plumber. we got paid a scale based on our compleation of yearly hours in school and in the field. you make it sound simple. with 32 of my 44 years in the trade, it's not simple. you don't learn it overnight and you don't dumb down the trade. go back to school and learn this trade, if you want to do it yourself. otherwise hire the plumber that has done like me and all the other licensed plumbers and plumbing contractors here. something tells me that it's not only plumbing you're looking for help with. why not stick with the trade that you're qualified to do.

gdavis, you're wrong. there are some newer members here that have gone overboard to try to help you. then there are older members here that decided to stay out of this. if you've been here for more than a couple of weeks, you would see this.

as a general contractor, you are suppose to be a professional in all the major trades. as i can see you are a jack of all trades and a master of none

you are getting paid to do it right. why not just do it right

there are plenty of pros in this plumbing forum, most decided to stay away from your post.

spend some time reading prior post and you'll see it's not us, it's you

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM. Reason: added opening paragraph.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post

Gimme a break, it's just pipe and joints, and I'll venture to say that as many non-plumbing pros can get it right, as pros that get it awfully wrong.
        I think the teat you been suckling on here has now run dry. Best try another forum with a fresh plump boob to suckle on to get your plumbing advice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Sorry P-Crack,I would suggest to you not to get your undies in a bundle,but I don't think you wearing any
          Underwear is sooo overated

Comment

"WOW" I see why plumbdog gets mad about people coming into your forum looking for advice. However the "only" advice I will ever ask would be for my home and my mom and dad. I always hire out the plumbing, excavation and electrical, so forth (w/the exception of personal situations if I can handle it), for I am not a master at those. I understand you dog, in case you read this, and if you guys want to answer a personal question for me someday, won't happen very often though, it would be very appreciative...Garager...

Now I'll get myself out of here, quickly. Zooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
            Last edited by garager; 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

One last q, Mr Buttcrack, if you don't mind.

As I have said, we've hired a "pro," a guy we hope knows his stuff, to do this bit of DVW work.

Since there is no inspection of any kind that will take place, how, praytell, will we know whether he did it right?

Even if we hired you, how would we know you got it right? Bear in mind there is no licensing of plumbers, the supply houses sell indiscrimately to GCs, DIYers, and plumbering contractors, and the part-time inspectors are prison guards by day, and only look at our footings and framing, and nothing else.

We're in the poorest part of far upstate NY, and plumbers supplement their meager income by working as bouncers, snowmobile guides, and summer-house caretakers.

I thought I might stay around here for a while longer, and suck on this teat some more. BTW, you've got a coupla pretty ones, from what I can see in your pic.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                "WOW" I see why plumbdog gets mad about people coming into your forum looking for advice. However the "only" advice I will ever ask would be for my home and my mom and dad. I always hire out the plumbing, excavation and electrical, so forth (w/the exception of personal situations if I can handle it), for I am not a master at those. I understand you dog, in case you read this, and if you guys want to answer a personal question for me someday, won't happen very often though, it would be very appreciative...Garager...

Now I'll get myself out of here, quickly. Zooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                Garager,

You feel free to ask anything that you may feel we can help with,some of us may tease you a little bit but still,I will share with you anything I can,as long as I'm sure no one is being wronged.This because of reading so many of your posts throughout the forum over a long period of time

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
                  One last q, Mr Buttcrack, if you don't mind.

As I have said, we've hired a "pro," a guy we hope knows his stuff, to do this bit of DVW work.

Since there is no inspection of any kind that will take place, how, praytell, will we know whether he did it right?

Even if we hired you, how would we know you got it right? Bear in mind there is no licensing of plumbers, the supply houses sell indiscrimately to GCs, DIYers, and plumbering contractors, and the part-time inspectors are prison guards by day, and only look at our footings and framing, and nothing else.

We're in the poorest part of far upstate NY, and plumbers supplement their meager income by working as bouncers, snowmobile guides, and summer-house caretakers.

I thought I might stay around here for a while longer, and suck on this teat some more. BTW, you've got a coupla pretty ones, from what I can see in your pic.
                  You can ask us we do help people.Take pictures, ask questions,Give Me the guy's phone number we'll conference call (before you hire him) then you'll know if he's going to have the ability to take care of your customer.No joke,

I'm glad your sticking around with confidence.

Comment

adam, i think you're spinning your wheels with this guy. it doesn't look like he has any respect for our trade.

this is the first thread in 3 years that i felt this way about.

unless he is doing volunteer work, he is getting paid to do it right. inspection or no inspection. believe me inspectors on residential around here have a lot to be desired. i see it on a regular basis. it's one thing to give a little advise, it's another thing to teach the so called plumber, plumbing 101.

i think you have already given him enough help. he can look at the bright side as he now has the best plumbing in the area he works. just because it's a low income town, does not mean he should put the whole water district and homeowner at risk. believe it or not correct plumbing protects the entire country. remember the code is just the minimun standard. based on his lack of hiring a licensed/ qualified plumber, he is taking the risk of endangering the entire community. i sure hope his next project is not a medical facility.

rick.

adam, have you noticed that the rest of the gallery has not chimed in. i'm not telling you what to do, but this guy is not one i will help. sorry but 32 years doesn't come for free. if he doesn't get it by now, he never will.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      adam, i think you're spinning your wheels with this guy. it doesn't look like he has any respect for our trade.

this is the first thread in 3 years that i felt this way about.

unless he is doing volunteer work, he is getting paid to do it right. inspection or no inspection. believe me inspectors on residential around here have a lot to be desired. i see it on a regular basis. it's one thing to give a little advise, it's another thing to teach the so called plumber, plumbing 101.

i think you have already given him enough help. he can look at the bright side as he now has the best plumbing in the area he works. just because it's a low income town, does not mean he should put the whole water district and homeowner at risk. believe it or not correct plumbing protects the entire country. remember the code is just the minimun standard. based on his lack of hiring a licensed/ qualified plumber, he is taking the risk of endangering the entire community. i sure hope his next project is not a medical facility.

rick.

adam, have you noticed that the rest of the gallery has not chimed in. i'm not telling you what to do, but this guy is not one i will help. sorry but 32 years doesn't come for free. if he doesn't get it by now, he never will.
                      Rick and Other's,
                      Thank you for letting me try
                      You all have been patient,I appreciate that

Adam

Comment

There is a book called
                        "Illustrated Guide To The International Plumbing & Fuel Gas Codes" By Howard C. Massey
                        which shows in layman's terms the basics of the 2003 IPC,

http://www.google.com/products?num=5...=1&sa=N&tab=wf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is also a group of books called code check books, that will give a over view, of items, of normal violations, not an in depth book but a basic check book, the 3th edition is the latest one.
                        The basic codes used in Code Check Plumbing are the 2003 International Residential Code and the 2000 Uniform Plumbing Code.

http://www.google.com/products?q=cod...&hl=en&show=dd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or you could get a copy of the code book,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

these would give you a guide and a way of becoming more familiar with the of meeting of basic code requirements.

They will not show you the "how to" of the finer points of how to plumb a tub, but a basic book from one of the box stores should show one how to hook it up if your in doubt. or jsut do a basic internet search. Lot of sites on how to hook up a tub,

As far as the exact rough in details on the fixtures your going to use,
                        Either go to the manufacturers web sited or get the product and see the installation guide and rough in measurement, and see how the manufacture suggests to install and how to do the rough in.

I jsut looked up Kohler and American Standard, and they both have pdf's of the rough in and specs of there products. and installation guides, my guess is otheres do as well.

here is a very basic guide on a tub.
                        http://www.plumbing-basics.com/bathr...ub-install.htm
                        following this may not nessary fit your tub. but it may give you some information.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                        X