X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best prep for an on-slab tubshower?

I am a GC, and have had plumbing subs do in-the-dirt drain line installation for on-slab bathrooms, but have never paid close attention to what they did for a tubshower.

Other than to watch while they use a rotary hammer and chisel to bust a lot of slab later, to modify what they did under there, and gain enough room to fix things so as to be able to proceed.

What is the best practice for no-nonsense do-it-right-the-first-time underslab drain plumbing for your typical 3-side-alcove-mounted tub?

Re: Best prep for an on-slab tubshower?

I'm a little confused by your question but thats not unusual.

What are you asking the proper procedure to break the concrete and install piping?

You should have been paying closer attention to your subs

Comment

I'm sorry, Mr. Plumbingcrack. I thought I was in a discussion forum which allowed people that are not professional plumbers to ask questions and receive answers and advice.

I am asking about the recommended way to plumb down in the sand below grade, prepping for a tub drain, before the slab is poured.

A pic is attached of a finished prep. It looks a whole lot better than what the best plumbing pro I can hire up in these here north woods will do for me. My guy gets the location all out of whack, then goes and busts out a lot of crete to fix his mistake.

There's a p-trap down there, right? The tub and drain arrangement we'll use has its tailpiece much closer to the wall than the stub in the pic. Don't you have to be pretty precise with your stub-up location in these underslab prepreps?

BTW, how old are you? I'm wondering how long it has taken you to come by your wisdom and impeccable manners. And where'd you get that great face mask we see in your photo?
      Attached Files

Comment

on 30 inch wide tub 15 " from side 1-1/2" off stud wall.

Comment

Your picture is what we use when we have access to trap connection below the floor shown.

You will need set the trap based on manufacturers specifications,on those stalls its easier to set trap,waste and overflow based on your paticular enclosure.These numbers vary from tub to tub, sloppy manu..It's easier to reference these numbers with the tub onsite.You can set trap and waste shoe leaving overflow after enclosure is set then connect overflow,this is before drywall.

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
            BTW, how old are you? I'm wondering how long it has taken you to come by your wisdom and impeccable manners. And where'd you get that great face mask we see in your photo?
            I don't need your smartass remarks I was just asking you to clarify your question.

I prefer the above floor rough bathtubs for concrete slabs. Alot of things come into play here. Type of tub; above floor rough or below floor. The concrete guys kicking the pipe when pulling the concrete around. Walls not laid out properly. Just because the plumber had to chip the concrete out doesn't mean his pipe was out of place when he installed it. The stub up should be centered on the tub overflow and 1-1/2" center off the wall as Freddy said. Best to have tub onsite. If tub has not been chosen yet I usually will put a 8" x 16" piece of 2" styrofoam around the stub up just below slab elevation and let the concrete pour to the pipe. If it needs to be chipped out it only takes 5 mins. Yes P-trap is below slab.
            Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-07-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

gdavis, it really sounds like you need to find a reliable, professional plumber or plumbing contractor. the plumber can work under your g.c. license.

for all the good plumbers we have here in los angeles, there are plenty more "wanna be plumbers" that are bad. you just need to weed through them. not sure if it's a money thing or a location thing for your lack of finding the right person.

sorry i'm still staying out of this, but i don't mind helping the guy/ gal that needs a break, but you too should be the pro. not the one looking on how to be a plumber 101

put an ad up at the local plumbing supply house and interview until you find a keeper.

there has to be someone in your state that will work in your location

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

If that 2x4 in the picture is supposed to be the the bottom plate of the wall then no wonder why this conversation is goin nowhere,It's totaly incorrect for a standard tub waste and overflow assembly.It shows the pipe being what appears to be directly under the waste there is no overflow.

Out here we run the trap arm into an enclosed tub box this provides a cavity in the concrete and leaves enough room under the trap arm to allow for the dip of the trap.This way you can set your trap after the concrete is poured and all walls are framed.The frammer usually could give a rat's a$$ where I put my pipes And am not the biggest fan of doing something over

Sorry P-Crack,I would suggest to you not to get your undies in a bundle,but I don't think you wearing any

Comment

The photo wasn't from a job of mine. I clipped it from, of all places, some Home Depot website. Shoulda known better.

It kinda looked 180 to me, given that the waste typically goes down almost hugging the wall.

I'm up to speed now, so thanks to all. We'll do a 12x12 sandbox with the trap arm coming in down under. That'll allow us to dig out, wiggle it a little as may be required, trim it approriately so the ptrap we'll glue to it is positioned right for the waste, and finish up.

Please take a look at the new diagram, attached, showing underslab drainage for the tubshower and adjacent washerbox.

Tubshower C has its 1-1/2 trap arm run to a 2x2x1.5 combo in the 2-inch drainleg that is run to the 4-inch main (not shown).

The tubshower is flat-vented by means of the 2-inch leg run over to the stackdrain that picks up the washerbox trapleg. Sound OK for IRC? That is what our state building code uses.

BTW, we've decided to hire a plumber to run all this drainage pre slab pour. As I've said, there are no licensing requirements for plumbers, nor are we subject to any inspections. I am not certain that the plumbers we have available to work in this locale are completely responsible to get things right, thus my carrying on here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The photo wasn't from a job of mine. I clipped it from, of all places, some Home Depot website. Shoulda known better.

It kinda looked 180 to me, given that the waste typically goes down almost hugging the wall.

I'm up to speed now, so thanks to all. We'll do a 12x12 sandbox with the trap arm coming in down under. That'll allow us to dig out, wiggle it a little as may be required, trim it approriately so the ptrap we'll glue to it is positioned right for the waste, and finish up.

Please take a look at the new diagram, attached, showing underslab drainage for the tubshower and adjacent washerbox.

Tubshower C has its 1-1/2 trap arm run to a 2x2x1.5 combo in the 2-inch drainleg that is run to the 4-inch main (not shown).

The tubshower is flat-vented by means of the 2-inch leg run over to the stackdrain that picks up the washerbox trapleg. Sound OK for IRC? That is what our state building code uses.

BTW, we've decided to hire a plumber to run all this drainage pre slab pour. As I've said, there are no licensing requirements for plumbers, nor are we subject to any inspections. I am not certain that the plumbers we have available to work in this locale are completely responsible to get things right, thus my carrying on here.
                    Gdavis,

AAAHHHH,your killing me here ,you've changed your direction to come at the drain from under the tub.You cannot use the combination now.Now you have to flat vent with a wye, 1/8 bend and long sweep 90 for the vent.The other direction was a more sanitary installation.

Out here Flat venting is only allowed when structual conditions dictate.Less digging does not apply.

And again it is a lot easier to secure the valve without having the vent come up under it.

I'm glad you are hiring a knowledgable tradesman to install the plumbing on your project.If he's worthy of doing your job he should be able to explain what we are discussing in about five minutes,and save us what is turning out to be hour's of discussion.

I admire your skills to communicate through computor skills,I would like to be able to do that someday.

In a short period of time you are starting to understand a liitle bit about what is involved in plumbing.I'll bet you really will have a different perspective on those fittings and pipe,Hey maybe you'll want to do plumbing full time

I wish you luck on this one,and I hope as well that your product turns out to be what you and your customer envisioned together

Comment

This'll shock ya, but we will do all the work to install the project's hydronic heating, and the system will be fired with an LP mod-con wallhung, which will also be piped to do the DHW. In-slab PEX down, all-Euro panel rads up, with TRVs. Tekmar controls. We'll also do all the work for the domestic H and C supplies in PEX. Everything is engineered, and we are purchasing a boiler in a box shopmade panel.

Comment

This'll shock ya, but we will do all the work to install the project's hydronic heating, and the system will be fired with an LP mod-con wallhung, which will also be piped to do the DHW. In-slab PEX down, all-Euro panel rads up, with TRVs. Tekmar controls. We'll also do all the work for the domestic H and C supplies in PEX. Everything is engineered, and we are purchasing a boiler in a box shopmade panel.
                        Sounds like fun

Comment

adam, maybe a 900# and you can get paid for this

remember, it was my idea

i'm still out of this one, have fun

i do give him credit for asking and pursuing this, but there has to be a plumber in his area that knows right from wrong, code or no code, inspection or no inspection

i would like to see a real photo of the ruff plumbing prior to covering. who knows, he might just pull it off

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

OK, howzis?

"Behind" the tubshower, a wye downstream of the trap in the trapleg coming off the 2x2x1.5 combo, is what routes a 1.5 vent up into the studbay adjacent that used for the valve and feeds.

I'm an engineer, and my first field assignment as an onsite hardhat, a long time ago, was to work with the 60-plus union pipefitter crew we had, doing the scratchbuild of a pair of gasfired recuperative slab reheating furnaces at the hot end of a 60-inch hot strip mill near Chicago. An 18-month gig. The controls for the setup were all pneumatic, and the spaghetti seemed to go on forever. Now that was something I enjoyed sinking my teeth into.

Retired now, and doing a little spec housebuilding, I am enjoying learning the details of these mechanical trades.

Tomorrow we will pour footings, then move through the ICF wall build phase, then this underslab stuff, slab, and for me, the fun stuff, the framing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              adam, maybe a 900# and you can get paid for this

remember, it was my idea

i'm still out of this one, have fun

i do give him credit for asking and pursuing this, but there has to be a plumber in his area that knows right from wrong, code or no code, inspection or no inspection

i would like to see a real photo of the ruff plumbing prior to covering. who knows, he might just pull it off

rick.
                              You know what Rick,It's funny how the chain of events have unravled.

Just last week APF's thread included this very same subject

When I commented as to Not having a problem helping another out I had not experienced first hand the responsibility to gdavis62's customer that I carry.It is unnerving,especially since I know how different people's motives can be.62 could be a straight arrow(?).But man,Kind of creepy,I now feel what other posters have stated.

Comment

Working...
                              X