X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Compressor Plumbing

My only concern with PVC: the installation will be in a detached garage. In the winter months the garage temps will ocasionally get below freezing. When I am not using the compressor, and if I don't get 100% of the condensation out of the tubing I am concerned that any remaining moisture will freeze and possibly damage the PVC.

Comment

i don't think that there would be enough condensation built up to create a situation that will cause an issue. typically when a pipe freezes it is a full pipe that has nowhere to expand to.

i freeze pipe all the time in a section of approx. 6'' long. since the pipe has room for expansion, nothing happens.

i rather doubt that you will ever have that much condensation. just install end of the line drain ports and slope your pipe.

as far as pvc goes, there are some that would never use it. 1/2'' sch. pvc is rated to over 500 psi at 70 degrees. years ago when i was 13 and wanted air piping to the front of the driveway approx. 90' to fill car tires from the garage. i ran 1/2'' pvc underground to the front and connected it with a small 3' jumper hose to the compressor. that was 31 years ago. my parents still own the house, but it hasn't been used in 15 years. the outdoor riser is still there and appears to be ok.

any compressed gas/ air is dangerous if it allowed to escape under pressure. i would see what fits in your budget and purchase the piping that will work for you. i wouldn't go bigger than 3/4''. 1/2'' should be plenty and is rated to a higher pressure too. you can also install an excess flow valve to shut off in case of a broken line.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I like pex because it's a common material here. PVC would also be good. Copper is beautiful if properly installed. If you can sweat pipe and don't mind the cost, copper is a good way to go. If you slope your pipe and put a drop leg w/ a ball valve at the end you could drain your system of condensation this way. Also if the pvc pipe did break; so what. You're talking about a couple of dollars in repair material and 10 min of work to fix it.

How big is your compressor? That's the real question for how big your tools you can run. Go to HD and get a moisture drier/ regulater. For lubrication- I've always put a couple drops of oil in the tool air inlet according to the manufactor.

Ben
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

about a year a go i took out a lot of PVC air lines that got dry and exploded .so we put in black pipe .

about 5 years a go a pluming co put in air lines that were a green PVC pipe and glued fittings [ do not know the name ]and heard that they just took it all out and put in black pipe . i don't know what was the problem was but it must have bin a good one ,it was in a wood shop and a lot of pipe .
          I'm going to put copper in my shop and it will be all scrap pipe with new fittings .
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

"Also if the pvc pipe did break; so what."

One word (so to speak) FMOs

I'd hate to be in the shop when the PVC shattered in the winter from the cold with 120 psi on it. How far and with how much force will those shards fly?

Hoes that famous quote go from the movie?
            "You could put your eye out with that"

FMO = Flying Missile Objects
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Good point Bob, I never thought about it shattering. I thought it would just crack. What about pex? That's soft. Would that shatter?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                When we run pex, we have to hydro test to 200 psi. Since most compressor don't reach that high, why not use pex? What's the disadvantage?

I was going to say something too...but I'm gutless and waited for someone else.

Comment

Most of you guys live by the codes,
                  and it may not be in the Plumbing bible,
                  but in OSHA's bible,
                  THO SHALT NOT USE PVC FOR COMPRESSED GASSES,
                  http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Rick recommended PVC for compressed air Think Kinetic Enegy and personal injury

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i don't think that there would be enough condensation built up to create a situation that will cause an issue. typically when a pipe freezes it is a full pipe that has nowhere to expand to.

i freeze pipe all the time in a section of approx. 6'' long. since the pipe has room for expansion, nothing happens.

i rather doubt that you will ever have that much condensation. just install end of the line drain ports and slope your pipe.

as far as pvc goes, there are some that would never use it. 1/2'' sch. pvc is rated to over 500 psi at 70 degrees. years ago when i was 13 and wanted air piping to the front of the driveway approx. 90' to fill car tires from the garage. i ran 1/2'' pvc underground to the front and connected it with a small 3' jumper hose to the compressor. that was 31 years ago. my parents still own the house, but it hasn't been used in 15 years. the outdoor riser is still there and appears to be ok.

any compressed gas/ air is dangerous if it allowed to escape under pressure. i would see what fits in your budget and purchase the piping that will work for you. i wouldn't go bigger than 3/4''. 1/2'' should be plenty and is rated to a higher pressure too. you can also install an excess flow valve to shut off in case of a broken line.

rick.
                      pex is a good product, but you need pex crimping tool and the pex should not be exposed to uv light. although pex is new, the initial investment to purchase the equipment might be costly.

copper is at an all time high and gal pipe is very time consuming for a non plumber with manual threaders.

now pvc pipe is cheap and easy to work with

rick.
                      copper is more expensive for the material. copper has tripled in cost in a year

the copper will be faster to work with, unless you have an electric pipe threader for the steel pipe.

i, would use copper since i can propress it and be up in running faster than you can cut and thread pipe. time is money and labor is more than materials cost.

what ever you feel more comfortable with is fine. they both work and are both acceptable. copper would be simpler down the road to cut in a new drop or tee.

as an added bonus, the copper has a value down the road if you scrap it and move. the gal pipe is somewhat worthless for scrap. copper is approx. $3.00 a pound scrap now

rick.
                      not sure if i actually recommended it or just answered his question. you need to all read the entire thread and all the questions and answers.

as far as osha, this is from 1988 and was more on the industrial side.

i'm sure that there are thousands of installations of home compressor lines in the usa that are pvc.

once again, it's a problem when it breaks under pressure. we are talking a homeowner do it yourself installation. i'm sure that reading all the suggestions both positive and negative, he can be educated in choosing the material that best suites his needs.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

The Grim Reaper is not very selective when it comes time to choose a victim, he'll be just a satisified with a DIY type as a construction worker, service tech, or factory worker.

I am sure there are thousands fo people who run red lights without killing someone every day, that don't make it right (or smart).
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Shattering? PVC? sure, especially in the winter.
                          Last try...just curious on thoughts for this application with PEX?
                          It's soft so it won't shatter, rated for 200psi, used for heating @ 180f so we know it's resiliant, DIRT cheap, clip it frequently to avoid whipping in the event of a break...I'm curious what anyone might think using it for compressed air.
                          I'm NOT a big fan of AquaPEX...the old "pb" scandal comes to mind, but time will tell.

Comment

IPEX manufactures a line of PEX which is made just for industrial air.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X