Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid pipe threading

Hello Gents,
    I hope their are some Rigid pipe threaders out there.
    If I had only 200mm of 1" tubing left and I needed to make 2 close tapered nipples 100mm in length each to complete the job, would any of the rigid machines be capable of this ?
    Also if the minimum size the machine will accept is say 120mm then how would I make two nipples exactly 100mm in length each from 200mm of 1" tubing ??.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Norplumb; 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM.

Re: Rigid pipe threading

just to clarify. 100 mm. equals approx. 4''.

i would use a nipple chuck.

it would be much less headaches and cost effective to purchase the nipples.

1'' x 4''long is dirt cheep.

you would need to thread 1 side prior to cutting it too short. then install the threaded side into the nipple chuck to finish the thread.

like i said, just buy the required short nipples.

i have 3 nipple chucks from 1/2''- 2''. i can't remember the last time i used them.

welcome to the ridgid forum

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Rick. Much appreciated.
      I came across this on a search of the forum-

When I have been stuck on a job once or twice and not had a niple chuck available I make one from a piece of pipe (same size as the nipples to be cut and long enough to be captured in both jaws of the pipe machine) and a CPLG. TOE of the pipe which will be chucked in the pipe machine but give it a long thread and screw the CPLG on a bit farther than you usually would to make up a regular joint, then thread the nipple into the CPLG such that your nipple will butt up to the end of the pipe when screwed into the CPLG, this keeps the nipple from getting jammed in the CPLG. It works for the occasional use but not as easy as having the right tool, a nipple chuck.

Would this option work for threading two nipples 4" long if the shortest piece the machine will accept is 4 3/4" long and no nipple chuck available ?
      Its a question I have from an experienced guy and I am a bit stumped on the answer.
      Forgive my ignorance but what does CPLG and TOE mean ?
      Again thanks for the quick reply.
      Last edited by Norplumb; 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

i've tried that trick before. you need an all thread merchant coupling.

we call them thread protectors

it might work once or twice, but a real nipple chuck has it's advantages. it is hardened and it also has a way to back off the chuck to release the threaded nipple.

cplg is a coupling.

toe is

what they are telling you to do is cut a piece of pipe, a little longer than the two jaws of the machine. thread 1 end with a longer running thread and screw a coupling into it allowing approx. 3 to 5 threads of the coupling exposed. then take your short piece that you already have threaded 1 end prior and scrwew it into the coupling. then you can thread the unthreaded end with the machine.

believe me, unless it's life or death it's a waste of time and labor. just buy the nipples you need. even a nipple chuck is wasting time and money, unless it's a nipple of 2.5'' or larger in diameter. factory threads are so much better than job site threads.

i guess just for betting sakes, yes it will work, but i would never waste my time.

join the fun, we need some input from the other side of the pond

ps. the queen is getting fed tonight on our dime

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Cheers. Thats a lot of help.
          Its late where I am. Were seven hours ahead. (I think)
          Yes , the Queen. Kentucky Derby I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            cplg is a coupling.

toe is Thread on End??

join the fun, we need some input from the other side of the pond

ps. the queen is getting fed tonight on our dime

rick.
            Her majesty held me up 40 mins. in traffic so she could see the new WWII Memorial

Comment

TOE was always thread one end to me
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

toe is

bigPipe09 got it right, TOE stands for Thread One End.

When you're welding up small bore pipe (2" and under) and/or you are putting a drain or vent valve in a spool you usually weld a TOE nipple in the outlet of the valve so a cap can be screwed on so if someone should accidentally bump the valve handle it won't dump whatever the process fluid is out all over the place.

TOE nipples have other uses of course, that's just where I have run into them the most.

As far as the makeshift nipple chuck. I have done that a number of times and made more than one nipple that way when the option of purchasing from a supply house did not fit the schedule or the supply house was closed. Works OK but a real nipple chuck works much better. Normally a std CS or Galv nipple would be cheaper than making up your own, but lets say you were working with some exotic metal, like AL-6XN, in which case one 1 x 4" nipple might cost as much as a days wages. I recently bought some 2" full port 300# flanged ball valves that cost $12K each. They were made from AL6-XN. this was a drain valve on a large bore spool. Bolted up downstream of the valve was a 2" TOE nipple welded into a AL6-XN SW flange.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 05-08-2007, 09:31 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                X