Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sump pumps just stop working now and then. What? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sump pumps just stop working now and then. What? Help!

I would replace with another brand...Jim Murray or Zoeller. In Northern Illinois you should have a battery back up system. Get one of those too!

Comment

I'm willing to bet both of those pumps have a magnetic switch on them. When they fail once, or when the power goes out, and the water level exceeds the switch level it can cause problems with the switch. Best bet is to install a tethered float switch to the pump. The best way to check to verify if the pump is defective if they have a piggy-back plug system is to plug the pump in directly and see if it pumps. If it does, switch problem. You may consider a backup pump, either battery driven or water driven.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Zoeller cast iron are good pumps....only weakness is their switch design (limited switch life and lack of a piggyback plug design - ex. M-53's). Still, much better than anything Ridgid has to offer. An N-53 with an SJE Rhombus Vertical Master I switch is a great combination....long life and easy to maintain.

Comment

Why not call a professional, licensed plumber who will install a quality product and take the responsibilty for warranty issues?

What a novel idea?

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
            Why not call a professional, licensed plumber who will install a quality product and take the responsibilty for warranty issues?

What a novel idea?
            LOL...I have an opening!

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
              You need to have electric connection checked out, since this problem started with old pump before you even got a rigid pump.

You may ? have a intermiten voltage drop off
              that keeps the pump from starting ! ! !
              My first thought too. We recently had a grounding issue with our electric service that caused even our clothes dryer to not want to start every time. Consumers ran us a new ground and our flickering juice cleared up.

If your pump has a piggy back plug, as someone else suggested, than just get a new switch if it isn't a juice issue. Float switches are most dependable, but you have to be careful to give them room for their motion. Pressure switches suck. I love Zoeller pumps but I've had issues in the past with their switches. I prefer a pump with a piggyback plug.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

i doubt a brand new pump would have faulty electical contacts..get a higher quailty sump pump with a intergal switch that kicks on automatically when it its sitting in a half inch of water ( i like Rule brand sump pumps)

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I think if you search though this forum you will find ALOT of people with the same problem with the Ridgid sump pumps. Sounds like a switch issue. Not sure whats going on there but you spent alot of money on that pump you should take it back and get another one or your money back.

I would think a brand new pump should last more than a month don't you?

If you want a pump that works EVERY time buy a Zoeller.

~Bill
                  I have had two zoellers in 5 yrs at over $1000 ea.+ installation + pumping charges, the 1st failed after 3 yrs the 2d 2 yrs. I would not buy another zoeller with 1 yr warranty.

Comment

what model?

what application?

I ask because I see n-98's die all the time because there are put in sewage lift stations and get killed by tampons and wipes and such, something they were never designed for.

At $1k ea, I suspect you have something more robust, but you might want to think about if you are asking it to do something it's not made for.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X