Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pumps just stop working now and then. What? Help!

I've got a problem, I've got a pit where water fills up in my basement so the basement doesn't flood. It's been fine for years. About one month ago, the darn thing just didn't kick on. First time ever. And because it didn't come on, the basement got quite a bit of water in it. What a pain in the butt. No biggie... I bought a new one. All better.

Until three days ago, where the NEW one stopped, just like the old one. WTF? So, I put them both in. Yes, I have two sump pumps in one pit. Last night, both of those little jerks didn't kick on. So, more water in the basement. Weeeee!

What happens, is the pump is like that in a toilet, but in reverse. When the water level gets so high, the pump turns on and dumps it out. Problem is, this one won't turn on every few times, which means I'm in trouble. If it rises so high, but clicks and doesn't turn on, it won't ever.... since the water keeps rising, the pump doesn't get a new chance to click again. Then I'm screwed.

What's wrong here? I replaced the "new" one with another today at Home Depot. The "new one" had some sludgy sort of oily crap on it. So I wonder if they're getting clogged. I do rmember seeing the water and having a slightly oily look on the top. Do I take ths apart and clean it? It's the SP500 ridgid model sump.

Loooooong story short, anyone have this problem where they stop working? Is this getting clogged up, and as a safety feature, it isn't turning on? Help!

Re: Sump pumps just stop working now and then. What? Help!

I am sure others with "experience" will chime in, but have you checked the contacts on the float switch to make sure they are not corroded.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Comment

In just a month's time? That's insane, but I will be taking the old one apart tonight to see what makes it tick. Where would I find that? If there is corrosion, can I just scrape it clean, or something? I'm worried to be gone from my home, and even worried to sleep at night as it can flood my basement.... again!

Comment

I should have read closer about the one months time, so that would not be likely to be the case, but heck you never know.

As to where the contacts might be, you should download a user manual from the web and look at a parts breakdown.

Again, others will chime in. It might help if you go ahead and post the model of pump(s) you have.

Regards and good luck

Comment

It's the 500 model, ridgid. 1/2 horse power model. Not sure about the other one. I think it's MIGHT ODD that one that's been working for YEARS does the same thing that the one I just bought is currently doing. I hear a click, but the motor doesn't turn over. I can push it down by hand, pull it back up, and then it runs again.... heck, sometimes it takes about three or so manual clicks for it to "wake up" and turn on to pump out water.

Comment

I think if you search though this forum you will find ALOT of people with the same problem with the Ridgid sump pumps. Sounds like a switch issue. Not sure whats going on there but you spent alot of money on that pump you should take it back and get another one or your money back.

I would think a brand new pump should last more than a month don't you?

If you want a pump that works EVERY time buy a Zoeller.

~Bill

Comment

Take it back to store get a new one if they give you any problems go somewhere else that sells zoller pumps and buy it problem will be solved. JMO
              Freddy

Comment

Do you suppose they'd even let me bring it back.... considering it was a return to begin with? I wonder if they sell this Zoeller at Home Depot? Thanks for the advice. Not what I wanted to hear, but it's good to know what's up up front.

Comment

The new one was a return item? Now you know why was returned. I don't believe Zoeller is sold through Home Depot at least not around here. Best to buy through your local plumbing supplier.

Comment

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/Produ...e/litindex.htm

Comment

replace the switches

or use a different type of switch and wire them to the new switch,

If both motors are functioning, then set one up with a lower switch start, and then 4" to 6" up place the second switch so if the first cant keep up the second can kick in and help, or if the first fails you then have a back up,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have the same problem (switch isn't working) and have come to realize that you shouldn't waste your time with Ridgid pumps, they don't stand behind there warranty and neither does Home Despot. I've tried to get my SP-500 fixed and they refuse to either take it back or replace.

Even there listed service centers won't take them.

I'm off to buy another brand.

Comment

Go with a Zoeller Best bang for your buck! Hands DOWN

Comment

You need to have electric connection checked out, since this problem started with old pump before you even got a rigid pump.

You may ? have a intermiten voltage drop off
                            that keeps the pump from starting ! ! !
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Just wondering because you said you had both pumps in the pit and neither one worked. Do you have an issue with the power ?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X