X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet won't flush

Here's the deal. 2 story house. Upstairs bathroom is right above downstairs bathroom. In the downstairs bathroom you have; sink-toilet-shower-cleanout outside. Downstairs toilet and sink drain slow. Snaked line through vent to clear clog and also ran smaller snake through sink drainline. The sink drain line goes horizantal and ties into the vent for the toilet. I can hear the snake. Here's the kicker; the sink drain great now no matter what. The toilet will flush great for 2-3 flush but after that will back up. BUT, if I run the sink while I flush the toilet it won't back up. I filled half a 33 gallon trash can w/ water and poured it in the toilet w/ no running water. Started to back right away. Turned on the sink and it drained great. Running the shower has no effect on the toilet.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: toilet won't flush

So the vent is blocked

Comment

is there a backwater valve on this system?

do you have a camera?

do they have kids? baby wipes?

my guess is that you need to jet the line or the line is very flat.

what did you pull out with the snake?

what size c/o and what size cutters?

k-40

k-50

k-60

go ahead, give it to me

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

object in toilet??? object in main?? once cleared, did you flush lg amounts of t.p down the toilet?
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          is there a backwater valve on this system? What is this?

do you have a camera? No, the sink drain line is 1 1/2" galvanized The rest is cast iron. Can a camera go through these lines.

do they have kids? baby wipes? Yes, not sure on second one.

my guess is that you need to jet the line or the line is very flat.

what did you pull out with the snake? Nothing, the owner was outside looking in the C/O and saw my cable come by. Had all fixtures on upstairs while snaking line. Water was flowing great.

what size c/o and what size cutters? 4" C/O but it goes downstream of the fixtures. Nothing upstream. Snaked through 3" vent w/ 1 1/2" c-cutter.

k-40 Snaked sink line w/ this

k-50

k-60 Didn't have at time. Used k-3800 w/ 1/2" cable

go ahead, give it to me

rick.
          Why does the sink affect the toilet operation? This case is about a month old and never really got resolved. The customer turns on the sink when flushing the toilet and hasn't had a clog yet.
          Last edited by gear junkie; 05-09-2007, 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

customer needs to run a garden hose down the vent and a camera down the closet bend into the main, problem is in between the the lav tie in and the next branch. run the hose down the vent just to eliminate the possibility
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Why does the sink affect the toilet operation? This case is about a month old and never really got resolved. The customer turns on the sink when flushing the toilet and hasn't had a clog yet.
              a picture is worth a thousands words and $300.

1.5'' gal pipe is not an issue with the mini seesnake. but the fittings, durham might be a challenge. try another location.

truthfully, a think a jetter of a decent size will clean out the line. a 1.5'' c cutter into a 4'' main is way too small. i like the biggest cutter i can get into the line. i would either jet, since a jetter can clean a large pipe from a small opening. or i would try a bigger cutter. if the vent has a vent 90 on it, you will not have any luck. you might need to pull the toilet or try from the 4'' c/o. can you camera from the 3'' vent?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Here's the deal. 2 story house. Upstairs bathroom is right above downstairs bathroom. In the downstairs bathroom you have; sink-toilet-shower-cleanout outside. Downstairs toilet and sink drain slow. Snaked line through vent to clear clog and also ran smaller snake through sink drainline. The sink drain line goes horizantal and ties into the vent for the toilet. I can hear the snake. Here's the kicker; the sink drain great now no matter what. The toilet will flush great for 2-3 flush but after that will back up. BUT, if I run the sink while I flush the toilet it won't back up. I filled half a 33 gallon trash can w/ water and poured it in the toilet w/ no running water. Started to back right away. Turned on the sink and it drained great. Running the shower has no effect on the toilet.
                GearJunkie,

I had same problem about 13 years ago before I had camera; drove me nuts. The only time the toilet would flush right is if the lavy was running. Numberous service calls to clear toilet. Pulled toilet several times, snaked line....nothing. Replaced toilet. No problems for 6 weeks all is well so I thought....wrong I had tunnel vision and kept insisting she was stopping it up. Then she stopped paying her bills. She had been a loyal customer for many years and flat out told me to solve it or go away. Well during one of the times pulling/resetting her toilet I broke off both the ears on the PVC closet flange. She said no to the spanner flange idea. So I went to basement to cut it out and of course it's glued to a street 90 that's glued tight to the 3"x2" wye serving lavy. I thought this just keeps getting better with every trip. No way is she going to pay me to repipe her bathroom. So there I am swearing up a storm hacking away at her piping and BAMM! I find it. A 3" wafer plug that someone knocked out when it was roughed in 3 years previous stuck right dead center of the 3x2 wye. worked just like a baffle. Shut when toilet was flushed opened when lavy draining. I couldn't have placed it in there any better. I showed her what is was and she wrote a check for all previous vists She was the reason I bought a See Snake. Problem would have been found very early on.

~Bill

Comment

Hi Bll- I had almost the same situation, numerous times, m/l stoppage, I found a waffer cap stuck right at the 1/4 bend, before it dropped down on a split level house, had to sawcut the customers slab in their bedroom, also, another thing to look for......backwater valve flappers, I have removed many of these, if an inexperienced plumber goes out to snake a m/l, dosen't realize the flood level is lower then the city manhole, or just dosen't know what they are doing, pulling the cable back without removing the flapper after clearing the stoppage, it will break that off, if the backwater valves are abs/pvc. well, just a comment.............
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Big thanks, but the house is on a slab. Time to save up to buy a camera. What's a backwater valve?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Big thanks, but the house is on a slab. Time to save up to buy a camera. What's a backwater valve?
                      On a slab?..that sucks

Backwater valve is just a big check valve for gravity sewer. Has a top that comes off to remove check flapper and to snake drain. We use them alot here in D.C. because of the combined sewers that are hundred years old and can't handle the rainfall. Keeps the sewer mains from backing up into your basement every time it rains hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X