X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piping material / fittings under slab / code

Hello all . I assume that cpvc and it's fittings are legal in most places of the country since it is legal in Pinellas co. Fl. and here in OK..^ years has passed since I roughed in 2 large bathroom groups all in cpvc , the owner requested that mat. and I passed inspec.,[hydrostatically tested at 120 psi ] I"ve never done it since , I"ve never given anyone the option , I don"t like fittings underground except for flared , or brass or steel mech. fittings . Having said that and reitterating the point I don't like fittings under a pour , sometimes you have to replace a section of underground pipe . I always braise my copper . My question is [finally ] , does anyone use a copp. x pex connection underground { under a pour of course ] ,. I thought I would bring it up here since I won"t be able to talk to a inspector till morning . Have a good one

Re: Piping material / fittings under slab / code

Originally posted by apf View Post
    Hello all . I assume that cpvc and it's fittings are legal in most places of the country since it is legal in Pinellas co. Fl. and here in OK..^ years has passed since I roughed in 2 large bathroom groups all in cpvc , the owner requested that mat. and I passed inspec.,[hydrostatically tested at 120 psi ] I"ve never done it since , I"ve never given anyone the option , I don"t like fittings underground except for flared , or brass or steel mech. fittings . Having said that and reitterating the point I don't like fittings under a pour , sometimes you have to replace a section of underground pipe . I always braise my copper . My question is [finally ] , does anyone use a copp. x pex connection underground { under a pour of course ] ,. I thought I would bring it up here since I won"t be able to talk to a inspector till morning . Have a good one
    I cannot imagine copper x pex being allowed.Out here we aren't allowed(and I now see why with ground having the abilty to have corrosive properties) to even soft solder underslab.But I have been wrong more than once before

Comment

adam and i are in the same location and on the same page here too

i would be save to say that other than a brazed joint on copper, i don't think anything is allowed. with pex, there is no reason to have a joint. the rolls are long enough to go wall to wall.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

You can use plastic in California but it is spotty at best. A lot of the CPVC jobs I have looked at did not meet the manufacturer's requirements. It seems because it is plastic an assumtion is made you need no skills.

As far as PEX, I don't believe any fittings are allowed below the slab.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
          , sometimes you have to replace a section of underground pipe . I always braise my copper . My question is [finally ] , does anyone use a copp. x pex connection underground { under a pour of course ] ,. I thought I would bring it up here since I won"t be able to talk to a inspector till morning . Have a good one
          I haven't come across this, but if fittings are not allowed on pex under a slab how is a repair made?
          Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
            I haven't come across this, but if fittings are not allowed on pex under a slab how is a repair made?
            good question, simple answer.

on a new installation you would roll the pex up into the wall.

the lines are tested and concrete is poured. if the line is damaged, the plumber would either make an illegal repair under the slab, or bust up the concrete from wall to wall.

i would think the repair under the slab would be the choice.

propress is allowed underground, but not under slab

there is actually a way to replace the pex from wall to wall. it's basically the same technique i use to pipeburst sewer lines. except with less equipment and cost. it's a pipe slitter and a stranded aircraft cable. you do need to be able to thread the 1/4''- 3/8'' cable through the bad pex line. you also need to have access to both ends of the pex. and finally you need to clearance the concrete around the pex and slab. an electric winch or good come-along would be required. with sewers you need big power and up to 40 tons of pulling for 6'' pipe.

like i said, a quick fix under the slab is all that 99% of plumbers would do.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with you guys as far as the only proprer repair is .......... braise the fittings , or run a smaller size pex through the original line . I just opened the doors on my business again in Oct. I had bein taking a break from service work due to my UNGODLY child support payments the last few years .I worked for a major Univ. for a steady check , so I missed 4 years of working in the private sect. and you know how accept. practices change. Have a great day folks .

Comment

Has anyone thought of a re-route? always best to remove potable from under the slab when possible, we all know if it leaks once, it's gonna leak again somewhere else.............. On the pex repair, I used to do them in New Mexico, radiant heating mostly, we would cut and use a fitting, on potable, whenever possible, run it up the wall and tie it back in, only one joint under the slab, still a joint, but atleast only one.... newer house slab leaks are usually in the recirc lines because the installer didn't ream, or in the bend up to the manifold, on the roll up. I had one a few weeks ago, government house, no manifolds above slab, everything under, just the feeds came up to the fixture- hard pipe too- horrible repair!! customer didn't want a re-route of all the lines. cpvc in the slab, never seen it, never hope to, and not even sure it can be done in los angeles, wouldn't do it if it could be done! I will research my 2006 code book and let you all know if I find anything about whats allowed under the slab, other then type L.
                Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

sharkbite fittings are approved for underground, just not underslab

a sharkbite fitting is a good transition fitting as it adapts copper, cpvc, and pex with the same fitting

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    sharkbite fittings are approved for underground, just not underslab

a sharkbite fitting is a good transition fitting as it adapts copper, cpvc, and most pex with the same fitting

rick.
                    I made a slight correction to your post as there is one brand of PEX which I understand it is not approved on.

On another note I have been trying to build the system you described for splitting PEX. Is there already one on the market? So far I have pretty well developed my system short the actual spitter. It would sure save me some work if some one already makes one.

Mark

Comment

[quote=ToUtahNow;78410]I made a slight correction to your post as there is one brand of PEX which I understand it is not approved on.

On another note I have been trying to build the system you described for splitting PEX. Is there already one on the market? So far I have pretty well developed my system short the actual spitter. It would sure save me some work if some one already makes one.

Mark [quote]

mark, if you take me to the vegas union school with the clear piping under the bathrooms, i'll bring it for you.

see your other post

i've even done it with copper

or you can meet us on the golf couse, and i'll share it with you.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

mark, if you take me to the vegas union school with the clear piping under the bathrooms, i'll bring it for you.

see your other post

i've even done it with copper

or you can meet us on the golf couse, and i'll share it with you.

rick.
                        Better yet come with me to the class next year.

BTW: I've been working in Reno this week but I am in Las Vegas next week. I will try to get by the Union Hall and see what it would take for a tour.
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-11-2007, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I agree with west coast . I would definately reoute if possible from manifold to manifold through attick wall ect. Sometimes it does'nt seem cost effective ,although the alternative of leaving old pipe under the slab could be far more costly in the future. I do work for several insurance companys, and now even they are seeing the benefits of spending a little more upfront.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Working...
                          X