X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVW group 1

Some architects and house designers are good when it comes to stacking baths, stacking walls, etc. Some aren't. The plans (all new construction) we have present some challenges. The attached pic shows what I'll call "group 1", and how our plumber says he can do the DVW.

Lower floor fixtures (WC and lav) are on slab on grade, and from the woodframed floor above, we have a shower drain.

Our guy says the underslab drain is a 3", the stack is a 2" as is the leg going from stack to drain, the lav drain is 1.5", and the shower drain is 2".

We're in NY code, which uses IRC. Is our guy OK? We've redesigned framing to accommodate the stack he has called for.
    Attached Files

Re: DVW group 1

Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

No Architect or engineer drew that up. That's your drawing. And you are so off base it's funny.

Hire a plumber.
    the dog

Comment

dog, i was just trying to ignore it, hoping it would go away.

dirty/ adam, you're the man for this

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
        _____ _____

Went to the mailbox to check for plane tickets and a deposit.Can you beleive it,it was empty.I better contact the post office

Comment

"The attached pic shows what I'll call "group 1", and how our plumber says he can do the DVW."
          Then let him do the work if he a real plumber and can show a license. Most would not run the drain against what your plumbing code say's. Having said that that's not the way I would run the drain but I not on site to reveiw other pipeing possibilities. Get ru done Freddy

Comment

"We are building in one of the most remote and poorest counties of far upstate NY, where the best paying jobs are school bus drivers and prison guards. We've no plans review of any kind required, nor is plumbing inspected."

Well If nothing is inspected or reviewed why worry about following a code. In the area. Let the plumber do what he feels is right,and if it come to problems latter take him to court. Freddy

Comment

Hey, you may be on to something! Why bother doing anything right, here.

Half the houses in the area have no vent pipes whatsoever coming through the roof, which makes one think . . . what's going on in there?

Well either you have hired a plumber or you have not, If You have, let him do his job, and stop trying to tell him how to do it.
              They do have automatic vents (Studor), that might be put on the houses you have seen, that have no vents through the roof.
              If your plumber is just the guy who lays pipe real good. then flip that house real quick when it gets completed and get out of town FAST JMO freddy

Comment

"'As a GC, it is my job to know what best practice is, whether we are talking about plumbing, framing, flooring, HVAC work, you name it."

Sooooo.... where you one of the guy in the back of the class in high school?
                You have the smart a$$ attitude, that as you should be able to see.No one else will even offer you any Info.
                Are you building this house to plans? Then there should be no questions for any tradesman to follow a plan. the 7 year architect man did his job right?
                Wish you good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62
                  Freddy, why do you say I'm trying to tell my plumber how to do this? As a GC, it is my job to know what best practice is, whether we are talking about plumbing, framing, flooring, HVAC work, you name it.

I'm here for some information on how to do things right, and all I seem to get is flack. What is it with you guys?

I have a house to build, the design somewhat fixed, baths sort of stacked but not well, I can make the framing work better for the stacks required or not, and I want to make everything work well and efficiently. What's wrong with that?

Your attitude sucks. Let's put the shoe on your foot, Freddy. Let's say it's YOUR house that's gonna get built, and YOU are gonna write all the checks. All of them. Got $250K in your checking account? Good! Let's go.

Let's begin by hiring an architect, and then let's let him do his thing, no oversight from you. He's a pro, remember? Went to university for not just four years, but about seven! Just pay him his fee and shut up.

Same with your GC that you'll hire, and all his subs. Just write those checks, stay off the job, don't try to tell him or anybody else how to do their job. We mean it! Stay outta here. You don't know nothin', and if you do, we don't want to see your smartazz face.

But keep writing those checks. Lots of them. And don't be late. Never.

Like your house so far?

If not, just sue them. Begin by hiring a lawyer, but by all means, never question his methods. That would be an insult. Just let him do his job. He had a lot of book learning, too. Needed to pass some actual tests. The bar. Whatever.

If all you get out of the lawsuits is the plumber's pickup truck and deer rifle, consider yourself lucky.

And now? Go and bother someone else. I'm tryin' to learn a little about DWV.

You remind me of some of those guys back in high school, the smart azzes back in the back row, pizzed off at the world, wantin' to drop out but they weren't old enough yet, just throwin' spitballs and wisecrackin', annoying the teacher and those of us trying to learn something.
                  Your job as a general contractor is to be resposible for the entire project. Your plumbing contractor is your problem.

Here's my take: you didn't hire a plumbing contractor, you figured you could do it yourself. Now you realize you don't know anything about plumbing.

The other explanation is that you screwed up by hiring a bad plumbing contractor.

Either way you screwed up.

Don't give us that "this is rural" crap. You're a general contractor, you should have told the customer that it will cost more to get quality contractors into your area.

BUT............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .....

All of this is crap, because your profile describes you as retired. I think you are attempting to remodel your house yourself, but are lost. You thought you could talk your way into free advice. You lose. Plumbers are smarter then you thought.
                  the dog

Comment

Freddy, why do you say I'm trying to tell my plumber how to do this? As a GC, it is my job to know what best practice is, whether we are talking about plumbing, framing, flooring, HVAC work, you name it.

I'm here for some information on how to do things right, and all I seem to get is flack. What is it with you guys?

I have a house to build, the design somewhat fixed, baths sort of stacked but not well, I can make the framing work better for the stacks required or not, and I want to make everything work well and efficiently. What's wrong with that?

Your attitude sucks. Let's put the shoe on your foot, Freddy. Let's say it's YOUR house that's gonna get built, and YOU are gonna write all the checks. All of them. Got $250K in your checking account? Good! Let's go.

Let's begin by hiring an architect, and then let's let him do his thing, no oversight from you. He's a pro, remember? Went to university for not just four years, but about seven! Just pay him his fee and shut up.

Same with your GC that you'll hire, and all his subs. Just write those checks, stay off the job, don't try to tell him or anybody else how to do their job. We mean it! Stay outta here. You don't know nothin', and if you do, we don't want to see your smartazz face.

But keep writing those checks. Lots of them. And don't be late. Never.

Like your house so far?

If not, just sue them. Begin by hiring a lawyer, but by all means, never question his methods. That would be an insult. Just let him do his job. He had a lot of book learning, too. Needed to pass some actual tests. The bar. Whatever.

If all you get out of the lawsuits is the plumber's pickup truck and deer rifle, consider yourself lucky.

And now? Go and bother someone else. I'm tryin' to learn a little about DWV.

You remind me of some of those guys back in high school, the smart azzes back in the back row, pizzed off at the world, wantin' to drop out but they weren't old enough yet, just throwin' spitballs and wisecrackin', annoying the teacher and those of us trying to learn something.
                    All that and I was usually STONED out of my head that was a fun time.

It ain't going to happen on my end 62,this really looks bad to me.

Please don't attack others,I am burned out on your M.O.,I feel you are being manipulative and looking for the easy way,not the correct way.

There are too many holes.

Another bad attitude signing off

Comment

To my web buddies "DirtyHands", "Plumbdog", and "Freddie":

C'mon, don't try to tell me you haven't had as much fun with this whole little pizzin match as I have. For me, the anticipation of your next flame has been as good as your anticipation of my next moronic DWV treatise, complete with cartoons.

We should charge admission for the lurkers.

As regards the DWV scheme, no thanks to you all, but I now have a pretty solid understanding of how this should best be done, and we are ready to proceed.

And I also know why this forum is called "ridgid". A misspelling of the word, meaning not bending or flexible; unyielding; not deviating or relaxing.
                      Yeah,Good Luck,keep us updated,send those pictures you said you would so we can tell if the customer is getting the sanitary and full functioning system they deserve.I would enjoy being at fault on this one.Small price to pay to garauntee a good system.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

don't say, i didn't warn you

i saw this coming a couple of weeks ago. dog sniffed this out on his first post.

took me a couple of more post to see it. adam, you need a better, more sensitive sniffer

once again, we can help some of the people some of the time, but this is not the time

where is the "fat lady" when you need her

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d
                          Last edited by Gene Bickford; 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Am I doing OK? This scheme came from a pro plumber I think I can trust.

No you doing horrible and so is your trusty "pro" plumber. Your scheme has several faults.

Comment

my regular sub who won't travel to do this job If you are a GC, you probably Lost anybody to do your work because of your nit picking the tradesman worker to death. GC like you do not do anything any how. Call in 3 Plumbers and electric companys to get bids. Then You chop it down to bare bones, that the plumber is barely making any money. Then Mr GC slaps 40% to the price, and tells home owner thats the price. Then after plumber puts in the rough work in and ask for a draw guys like yourself have home owner pay GC and GC goes BYE BYE Plumber ends up liening the property.
                              But your not a GC. Your probably one of these house flippers doing your own work. Hiring out work to crackheads, and rent a drunks, Buy a few how to do plumbing, and a code book, and maybe you might be able to aide you talented workers on how to run the drain. Happy Plumbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X