Hey, Just Saying Hello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey, Just Saying Hello

You have a big chip on your shoulder that is getting in the way of your future.

You starting out behind the eight ball since you have not finished HS. As others have pointed out, a pile of tools and a couple snapshots of one job do not prove beyond a doubt your abilities. What makes you think that this will ever change? Every one of us, even after years in the trade, has to prove ourselves at times when we get on a job with people who may not be familiar with our capabilities and/or skills.

You need to get over feeling targeted when someone does not agree with you or you will have problems throughout your career; whatever it might be.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Apf, having something down pat, and knowing everything are two different things.

BHD, wonderful post.

oldslowchevy, having something down pat, and knowing everything are two different things.
      How would a high school diploma help me in the plumbing field? I'm completed every math task set in front of me so far, without any troubles.
      What does a drivers lisence have to do with anything at my age? Would you be giving me my own truck, I would hope not!

plumberscrack, glad I could represent us east coast plumbers!

bigpipe09, I know that exact feeling. It happens quite often with me. Just the other day this guy who's about to go for his Journeymens was telling me to flip the valve back words, so the homeowner could see and use the bleed. I then had to explain that if I flipped it, I would be draining down the house!! And this guy was going for his Journeymen's? Oh My!!!
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        Apf, having something down pat, and knowing everything are two different things.

BHD, wonderful post.

oldslowchevy, having something down pat, and knowing everything are two different things.
        How would a high school diploma help me in the plumbing field? I'm completed every math task set in front of me so far, without any troubles.
        What does a drivers lisence have to do with anything at my age? Would you be giving me my own truck, I would hope not!

plumberscrack, glad I could represent us east coast plumbers!

bigpipe09, I know that exact feeling. It happens quite often with me. Just the other day this guy who's about to go for his Journeymens was telling me to flip the valve back words, so the homeowner could see and use the bleed. I then had to explain that if I flipped it, I would be draining down the house!! And this guy was going for his Journeymen's? Oh My!!!
        Dude, YOU NEED TO RELAX!!! I knew a guy like you, he was with me on a job, I left him alone to cut out "loose hanging galv pipe", not strapped black pipe, he cut the one he thought in his head was the right one, it happened to be a gas line, i had three guys under the house, something told me to check him, lucky I crawled back around to stop him before he cut the pipe open. I could bury my finger nail in the grouve. He thought he was a plumber becuase he dug a few holes and did a few small jobs, he almost killed us and the 80 year old women in the house above. He never went with me on another job, or with anyone else, he quit plumbing. You need to listen more then talk, this is years of advice we are giving you without you having to learn the hard way. I have a guy at my shop, he went to trade tech, thinks he is a great plumber, knows everything, won't listen to anyone, it always someone elses fault, I have to go back 3-8 times a week to fix his mistakes, the company is going to fire him. Take your time, be prepared and listen more then talk. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I have only been doing this for 8 years in the field by myself, you don't really have to take what I say into consideration, but please take into consideration what the seniors in here have to say, save yourself some pain. I wish I had this advice when I started. I dropped out of school in eight grade, left my house at 13, recieved my ged on my 18th birthday, went to college for 2.5 years taking general education and criminal/ business law. If you wanna work for yourself someday, you will need business education, it is one thing to be a "great plumber,"but without the business education, you will fail. Study and learn the trade slowly, you are still young bro, cherish it, don't rush, build a strong foundation.
        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-14-2007, 09:30 PM.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

this is what it has to do with it. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11390
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Hello Aaron91,

Congradulations on your achievements so far

Be carefull, the world is full of fallen rock stars.

Can you see the tone changing already when your fellow posters respond.

Have you given yourself some time to read some of the posts over the past few years that the gentlemen who you are talking to have posted.

I understand your testosterone,but it can be bittersweet,people will let you get out there and let you hang yourself without lending you a hand.

You have chosen a good trade.

Be respectfull to people and you will be amazed,as I,at how much they are willing to exchange resources with you.

Make a hard copy of this thread,look at it from time to time,ON PAPER,it does make a difference when you hold this in your skilled hands.

ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
              wow kid i have been on this board for 3-4 years now and i have to say i have never seen a new member make such a large impact as you have, this is unless they bashed our beloved ridgid tools .

well, i vote for crappy, with his flat rate thread

sorry crappy, but timing is everything

rick.

arron,

i did finish high school and did not go to college. although i did attend 4 years of union apprenticeship school.

i was amazed and blown away how many 1'st year apprentices could not read a tape measure with fractions. solving for square roots without a calculator was a refresher.

the point is like i and so many other is, there is more to plumbing than just 1 skill. you might have a particular task down, but you don't have plumbing down

it's sort of like a pro athlete. in little league, you probable stood out. in high school, you would be a good player, but when you hit college, this tends to weed out the real players. and for every pro in the big leagues, 10,000 never made it.

not sure if you get it, but your still in little league. not because of your age, but because of your experience. it takes time to refine your skills. it takes time to build up your speed and do the job right.

i remember when i started new construction at age 18. it was a development of 1685 town homes and condos. coming home filthy and abs glue, no hub tar and copper flux all over me and my clothes. now 26 years later i can do the nastiest job and still appear clean. you learn better ways to do the same job. this comes from watching others and tweaking it a little to best match your needs. there are many things i feel that i am the best at and there are even more things that i know i can improve at

fortunately what i chose to do, i do it as good or better than the rest

i really hope that you will excel at everything that you chose to do. both in plumbing and in life. it just takes time to refine those skills.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hej Aaron, & Welcome. Listen to "Dog" about education! However, having said that, I'd like to share my experiences, re some apprentices I've had.
                I'm a Stainless Master, and doing that takes a lot of years, and even more Maths, Physics, and usually finishing off at University doing metallurgy, more maths, art & design. Becoming a Stainless Smith takes a lot less, but when the apprentices see Maths being used at work, and saving a lot of time & effort,and answering a lot of problems before they arise! they take a very different view than at school. Maths with your hands, because you're going to use the answers, is different to :- "Learn this because I say so"
                Our proffessor at the University of Copenhagen used to say, "Mathematics is the Hand Maiden of the Scientist, - and the Whore of the Craftsman"!
                Just take it from there Aaron, You'll have no problems when you see that Maths, and the other theoretical stuff, is just a very usefull tool to have, at least as good as a cordless drill, and perhaps even more powerfull!

Comment

I don't understand your question. If your asking how I got started, I was friends with my boss's son and we all rode 4 wheelers and what not. One day I was at the bosses houses he said do you wanna make some money, and I said sure, I started out de-greasing boring rigs, which drill dry wells, and cleaning misc. machines. I then started as a trechman installing septic systems, and got a lot of satisfaction out of my work, and saw a huge potential for what the trade had to offer. I was then put on the indoor plumbing truck when he was over loaded. If your asking if I've gotten training yet, other than my Back Flow Class, no, but that's because I have to get my GED to enter a plumbing trade school, and I'm currently studying for my GED and plan to take it within a few weeks.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                  X