X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Just Saying Hello

Hey, this is a nice forum you guys have here. I just signed up, my names Aaron, I'm 16 years old, I with drawled from school due to a lack of interest in it, and have been doing plumbing for roughly 2 years. I currently have my Apprenticeship Card, and Back Flow Certification. I'm also the Youngest Back Flow Certified person in the State of Maryland which I thinks pretty cool.

I'm currently studying for my GED, once I take that I plan on joining the local union, any union guys on here?!?!
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Hey, Just Saying Hello

Good job on getting your bf cert. High school, though important is not everything, as long as you strive to achieve your goal. Great job on succeeding in life "your way". Welcome to the forum.

Ben
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
      Hey, this is a nice forum you guys have here. I just signed up, my names Aaron, I'm 16 years old, I with drawled from school due to a lack of interest in it, and have been doing plumbing for roughly 2 years. I currently have my Apprenticeship Card, and Back Flow Certification. I'm also the Youngest Back Flow Certified person in the State of Maryland which I thinks pretty cool.

I'm currently studying for my GED, once I take that I plan on joining the local union, any union guys on here?!?!
      Welcome to the forum , stick with plumbing , treat people well and you'll never go hungry .Now , on a more serious note. Most contractor examines now entail heavy duty math , basically you"ll have to know the Plumbers / Pipefitters mathmatics , as well as a working knowledge of Buisiness and Law , which you will be tested on . In order to keep up with the times you are going to have to be good with numbers and written communications , embrace knowledge , read , go at your own pace , but do learn . Joe / APF

Comment

i sort of started like you did. but i did complete high school while also pursuing a plumbing career.

i started in my plumbing career when i was 12, during summer with my uncle who lived just a few blocks away. i would walk to his house and work until the end of the day. as i learned more, he would have me do something, while he was doing another task at that house/ apartment.

during school time, sept-june, i would work for him on saturdays. while in jr. high, i also worked at the local hardware store. i did enjoy school and also sports.

on 1 occasion, while i was in class, the school office buzzed my classroom to call me to the office i was needed in the neighborhood to repair a water service that had broken. most jobs waited till the weekend or after school.

while in the 11th' grade and other students were preparing for the sat's, i knew i wanted to work for my other uncle doing large new construction plumbing projects. after graduating in the 12th' grade. i went on a 1 week vacation prior to starting my full time career.

well, i signed up at the local union and started full time in july of 81. working 5 days a week and going to our own apprenticeship school for 4 years twice a week. apprenticeship school was at times a lot of fun and interesting at times was a drag it really boiled down to the instructor and his lack of keeping the class interesting. also when the students knew more than the instructor, didn't help too

well after 14 years in the union, it was time to get out and go on my own.

so that being said, my point is there is plenty of time to pursue your full time career in a field that you love. there is only limited time in school.

finish up school, while your still young and then start your apprenticeship. plus don't you need to be 18 to be in the union?

welcome arron, and stick with your career. also stick with this forum, it's interesting, informative and you can come and go. plus we might be able to help you with your homework

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-13-2007, 12:04 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

welcome to the forum aaron, i lived in calvert co most of my life but little over a year ago i moved to florida.

please by all means get the ged and don't let anything stop you, you have acheived so much so far and your folks should be proud of you.

feel free to ask all the questions you like there are some here like plumber rick and plumbdog10 with over 20 years in the trade that should point you in the right way
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Aaron,

Good job on the Backflow Certificate but make sure you get your GED. High School may not have been interesting to you but it is important. You need to complete it so you are not a quiter. The more things you quit the easier it gets to quit the things you need.

Good luck-Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Aaron,

Don't cut yourself short on education. The trades are full of excellent installers who never move up because they can't do the math, don't have the reading comprehension to understand codes and regulations, nor the writing skills to communicate with engineers and managers. You can't believe the number of very good plumbers I know who wish they had spent more time paying attention to their studies.
              the dog

Comment

Thanks guys for a open mind on my situation, I'm used to getting bashed up and down for dropping out. I take my drivers lisence test in 15 work days from now, which will be a large step in the sense of not having to have my dad drive me to the shop. I'm currently studying for my GED and plan on taking it in only a few more weeks. What most people don't understand is, just cause I dropped out, doesn't mean I'm stupid or dis like education. I just can't stand the tpyical high school in maturity, pot smoking stereo type.

I'm proud the say, not only do I have my back flow certificate, and apprentice ship card, but roughly $2300 in hand tools, I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow, or maybe tonight even. I can't stand going into work, and seeing 'mechanics' a word I cannot stand, cause it covers up the fact they did not take school, nor take the Journey mens test, but I can't stand the fact they only have one small bag of misc tools. I got 5 bags neatly packed with every hand tool I could need, along with a brand new Turbo Torch adjustable system. I cant stand the striker free style, the sound like a Boeing 747 to me. Not to mention I bought all these tools myself, with my hard earned money.

Also, to whoever asked/brought it up, I talked to my local union and the age is 17.

A quick question I have, I'm currently working at a medium sized plumbing company. The problem is, work is some what slow, and I spend 30+ hours a week at the shop washing trucks, and stacking firewood. I know shop work is part of being new to a company/a trade, but washing trucks and stacking wood isn't making me a better plumber in any way. I know a hell of alot for my age, but I want to keep expanding that and I can't, so a good friend of mines dad knows this guy, with about the same sized company and is hiring Apprentice's....

So, if you were hiring, and you saw I was a high school drop out, going for his GED, has a valid learners permit, and going for his lisence in 2 weeks, with the tools I have, and knowledge and back flow certification, do you think asking 15 an hour is too far out there? I've heard through word of mouth, a decent first year guy can get this, not to mention I have so many more tools, my back flow certification, and knowledge, also the union would start me at $15.XX
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

do you think asking 15 an hour is too far out there? I've heard through word of mouth, a decent first year guy can get this, not to mention I have so many more tools, my back flow certification, and knowledge, also the union would start me at $15.XX
                  $15 without driving expierence..no. I'd have to hire someone else just to chaoffeur(sp?) you around. You can have all the tools and certifications in the world doesn't mean anything unless you can do the work. But it does sound like you have more tools and ambition that my current helpers. I'm in Capital Heights if you want to apply. I could use a backflow cert. guy. Maybe not $15/hr but close with paid health insurance and employer matching Simple IRA. You won't find a better boss and I won't make you stack firewoood. I'll pay you 1/2 hour every Monday to wash and straighten your truck.

~Bill
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-13-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Aaron

Be careful about the MVA laws regarding "rookie class" drivers and also being a guy under 25 watch out for high auto insurance rates. I'm most likely older than your dad (about 95% sure) and way back when was able to take a nice long driver's ed class over the summer in high school. I earned elective credit for it and my insurance rate was much better too. I'm sure there have been many changes, but do look carefully into everything and make sure to get your GED. I remember that I hated high school but am glad I stuck it out. Good luck and please keep all of us updated. This is quite a forum.

This is just an idea, but being a "Tool Guy" you might want to think about working (maybe part time) at a tool dealership or industrial supply company. Keep your eyes and ears open and I wish you all the best.

Comment

I would stick with a union shop , at least for 2 to 4 years. You will have the chance to learn time tested business practises, such as how the keep inventory, pay, workers rights so on that you might not learn at another shop. These are things that will help you to be succesfull if you ever desire to run your own business someday. Also get your education no matter what it takes. I dropped out at age 15 left home and started working fishing boats. Found out real quick that the only people that made any real money in that or any other industry are the ones that are educated. Of course life is an education, but do it the right way on paper. I went back to school also at 17 and have never stopped. Someday if you decide to get married and start a family, the quality of women wil be much better and dependable if your educated. You know the old saying you get what you give. Its true in all aspects of life. Oh by the way welcome to the forum Aaron
                      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

aaron plumbers crack is right $15 is a tad steep but with what you have and all $13-14 in a medium sized company would be a great start and once you show what you know in about 90-120 days once you have your DL you might be able to do $15. but my advice is to stay where you are at for now you may not like stacking fire wood and washing trucks but atleast this company likes you enough to "busy work" for you. also my father in law has all the power threaders power vises and so on from 1/2" up to 5" he have 4 wheel cutters and mostly every thing a "pipe/steam" fitter needs it all has just been sitting since he retired and would like to off load it. he lives in cheaspeake beach maryland in calvert co if you want it i will get a price from him for it just "PM" me and i can give you more info.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thank you all for your opinions and views.

The first picture is my 5 tool bags, plus brand new turbo torch 'kit' and 2 buckets for un-doing traps, along with some paper towels.

The second is the same tools just with myself in it, along 2 pipe wrenches.

I have 5 bags that are extremely neatly packed to the top with only the name brand tools. I also paid for everything myself.

Do you HONESTLY see many 16 year olds with all these tools, and certification along with everything else I have going for me? You still don't think I'm worth $15 an hour? Ha maybe you should take a look at some of my work, I have some pictures if ya'll wanna see em?
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

no one is saying that you are not worth $15 an hour all we are saying is you have to prove at your age what you are worth. that pictures of your work and write down every day what you did and where you did it at, at the end of the day or week have your supper or boss sign it. yes you do have a lot going for you but you at your age have to prove yourself like each and every one of us. it is not an insult and please do not take it as such, it is just the facts as we know them. but here is another fact you just got upset because you did not here the answer that wanted to hear

" Ha maybe you should take a look at some of my work,"

please by all means post what you have done it would help everyone to give you the best answer. but the fact still remain that for now atleast you do not have a DL and untill you do (witch will be soon) 15 is a stretch. 14 yes 15 maybe. look here aaron you have to take with the gain of salt that you are 16 years of age and you have done alot but saddly most teenagers have left a sour taste in most employers mouths either with not coming in or being late and then while being there doing a half hearted job. i am not saying you have have or will do that but that is why a 16 year old such as your self needs to "prove" yourself that is all i am saying.
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think if you find the right shop, maybe smaller than the one your at, get your driver license. and you really go in and listen to the boss, tell you what he wanted done on any given job and do it. you did not say if you do service or new construction plumbing. If your good at it 15 dollars would be a bargain for them to pay you. Keep to the books and keep you ears open to Job openings. Freddy

Comment

Working...
                              X