X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business owners

I have a question for the forum. I am very involved with campaigning , for one of the presidential front runners. I do not wish to cause any political debates , or slandering of candidate's for either party. A question was ask by the candidate's campaign committee. The question is what do you see as your greatest obstacle, as a business owner. There are no wrong answers to this. Although any thoughts might be helpful.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Re: Business owners

as you already know, liability insurance cost and workers compensation insurance cost

as plumber, we have a hugh liability exposure with water and sewage, gas.

roofers and carpenters have hugh workers comp rates.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Undocumented guest workers or what they really are, illegal aliens. It's not so much of a problem for me here but I'm starting to see it more and more lately. As soon as they enter the United States they have committed their first illegal act. Some say they only do the work that Americans are not willing to do but thats BS. Americans just are not willing to do those jobs at their prices. Illegal Aliens can work for $6hr and still make a decent living. Why? Because they do not have to pay for health care, pay taxes, pay for a drivers license and insurance, and most don't have to pay for food.

EX:
      Plumbing business #1 hires six illegal aliens for $7hr each with no time and a half for overtime. This owners payroll for a 50hr work week is $2459 and keep in mind he pays no comp, taxes, insurance, etc...So his payroll is a straight up $2459 and thats it.

Plumbing business #2 Hires six U.S. citizens for $13hr. This owners payroll for a 50hr work week is $4290 Plus I'll throw in a very conservative $300 for taxes, insurance and, comp. The total comes to $4590.

$2131 difference per week
      $110,812 difference per year

And these figures are just payroll. They don't take into account that business #1 is completely illegal and will save $'s any way they can by cutting corners, using inferior parts, not following code etc...

We can try to fool ourselves into thinking our customers would never hire business #1 but take a look around. How many fields (no pun intended) are mainly worked by illegal aliens. Construction, painting, roofing, landscaping etc...It's not like this all over the country but it's starting to spread.

Don't get me wrong, I have NO PROBLEM with someone trying to better themselves. No matter what country we are from or live in, we all need to put food on our table but that table is starting to tip to one side and our meat and potatoes are starting to slide.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Just look in the major chain fast food restaurants. I constantly have to attempt to speak their language which is a mix of grunting noises. Well in my area it is. Almost all painters and landscaping crews are Hispanics. Try telling them that the yard drain is not the place to dump paint and thinner. "Me no speeeka Eenglsh" is about all you'll get for a reply.

I have something else that might really effect the election. How about the MPG ratings of cars and light trucks that are totally BS in reality?

Comment

gene... what happened to your avatar

Comment

It's the new me. I've got too much time on my hands so I perrrty up my hair, put on some makeup and took some glamor shots JUST KIDDING!!!
            I couldn't figure out how to post a pic of the fat lady singing in response to DVW group 1 so I just changed my avatar for a bit.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              It's the new me. I've got too much time on my hands so I perrrty up my hair, put on some makeup and took some glamor shots JUST KIDDING!!!
              I couldn't figure out how to post a pic of the fat lady singing in response to DVW group 1 so I just changed my avatar for a bit.
              Thank goodness otherwise I might have to ban ya

PS... how to add attachments -> after typing out your response look down at the bottom of the page at additional options. Under this sectin you will see Manage Attachments. Thats how ya attach pics and documents.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                I have something else that might really effect the election. How about the MPG ratings of cars and light trucks that are totally BS in reality?
                Car manufactures are changing the way they rate mileage and I think in 08 are supposed to give actual gpm.

I don't see many illegals here in VA doing plumbing. If I was a framer however, I would be spittin mad.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I agree with the immigration part but beyond that I just want the Government to STAY OUT of my business.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                  X