X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet swet under live pressure

Has anyone used a jet sweat under live pressure(55 psi)? I am going to try this in a couple days and was planning on opening all the fixtures to relieve the pressure. I need to heat the previous valve off so propress isn't an option. This is a military building and PW needs 2 week notice before they turn off the water. Any thoughts, advice?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Jet swet under live pressure

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Has anyone used a jet sweat under live pressure(55 psi)? I am going to try this in a couple days and was planning on opening all the fixtures to relieve the pressure. I need to heat the previous valve off so propress isn't an option. This is a military building and PW needs 2 week notice before they turn off the water. Any thoughts, advice?
    I wouldn't advise it.
    the dog

Comment

don't do it

they claim that they are rated for 60 psi.

what size pipe is it. what will happen if it doesn't hold? what will get flooded?

too many what ifs

do like me freeze the pipe

looks like my panama trip might get diverted to virginia beach

they make a jet Sweet tool with a bypass hole in it to allow for pressure to drain. but not designed to take full flow of an open line.

maybe you would like to buy 1 of my 4 freezing kits

2- complete co2 kits to 4'' and a ridgid super freeze 2000 and 2500.

josh don't i have enough ridgid points to get a round trip flight to go help out our country

you could join us and then we can golf

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What size is the inlet and pipe you are working on. How many fixtures can you open to relieve pressure.
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

At 55psi I'd think the plug would shoot out like a bullet. What do you have for pressure with all other valves open? Even then I'd think it would be on the dangerous side. I've never used one but it seems kinda risky to use on the fly.
          Could you use a freeze plug instead?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

looks like Rick beat me.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              looks like Rick beat me.
              Maybe I smoked way to much wacky in my freshman year,I swear it gives me a totally different perspective when I read your posts with her picture as your avitar,it's absolutely hillarious (in my own twisted mind)

Can you keep it for a little while,makes me think of "62's" yank.

Saw this on a bumper sticker a few weeks ago "Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat" .Been sticking with me,maybe make it my catch phrase in a little while.

Comment

How about a mechanical couplinng with a full port valve , as far as heating the old valve off , I don't see it happening unless you freeze it like Rick suggested . Joe

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  don't do it

they claim that they are rated for 60 psi.

what size pipe is it. what will happen if it doesn't hold? what will get flooded?

too many what ifs

do like me freeze the pipe

looks like my panama trip might get diverted to virginia beach

they make a jet Sweet tool with a bypass hole in it to allow for pressure to drain. but not designed to take full flow of an open line.

maybe you would like to buy 1 of my 4 freezing kits

2- complete co2 kits to 4'' and a ridgid super freeze 2000 and 2500.

josh don't i have enough ridgid points to get a round trip flight to go help out our country

you could join us and then we can golf

rick.
                  Rick,

Come on, you have yourself admitted that the freeze systems are limited at best. Now you're tring to sell one?
                  the dog

Comment

just 4 u dirty hands. Till morning.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      Rick,

Come on, you have yourself admitted that the freeze systems are limited at best. Now you're tring to sell one?

dog, they work when you know their limitations. meaning you can't freeze moving water. if the line is dead ended/ no running water, it will freeze. the time it takes to freeze depends on the size of the pipe, the ambient temperature, the type of pipe, and the type of machine.

liquid co2 is -109f.

ridgid superfreeze is not as cold, but it only requires electricity to run. no heavy co2 bottles to run out.

the superfreeze 2500 will do 2.5'' copper.

the liquid co2, i have bags for up to 4'' pipe.

who said i was trying to sell 1

i will sell my superfreeze 2000 and 1 set of co2

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

This is just 3/4" pipe. I can turn on 1 urinal, 5 toilets, 2 showers and 2 sinks. It's a concrete Bathroom w/ floor drains so water isn't a big deal. From the responses, I'm not going to do it. Don't have access to a freeze kit.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What size is the feed line for the building? I have seen urinal stop changed out with water on. You might get enough pressure drop opening up all these other fixtures. I would remove drop in kit to urinal so it would full flow water out. And same on toilets, run right off toilet stop, flex pipe to floor drain, so you would get full flow of water out.If that's your only option. If You could not un sweat stop maybe you could cut pipe and use compression stop? if it dose not go as your 1st option. Freddy

Comment

I believe a fairly new jet sweat would hold at least for a while against 55 psi.

I have my doubts whether you will be able to push it up through the valve against full pressure.

I say "go for it" but wear a raincoat

Comment

I tried it today and it didn't even come close to working. With all the fixtures open the pressure dropped to 42 psi. I took the handle off and connected my drill to open the valve faster. 42 psi is a lot of pressure. I couldn't even get the jet swet in 1/2". I closed it up and told all the occupants that I was shutting down the water in 1 hour. Turned off the water and changed out the valve. No drama, went like clockwork.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X