Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out these wrenches I just recieved!!

Hey guys, I had a itch for some vintage plumbing hand tools, and off to ebay I went. The oldest wrench in this collection is from 1896 and still functions, for what I could use it for beats me. To be able to own a part of my trades history is important to me. It's cool owning a tool, that someone used 111 years before hand. I only wish these tools could talk and speak words of wisdom and show the advancement in plumbing over the years and decades. Also before anyone leaves a smartass comment saying the pat. date isn't always the year it was released, I already know.

These are the 3 oldest wrenches, all from the late 1890's.

Here is all of the wrenches.

I think this is a monkey wrench? I think the top tip is for hooking onto pipes, or other objects and climbing like a monkey. I also think it's a pipe wrench on one side, and a large crescent wrench on the other, any info on this I'd greatly appreciate!

I was thinking the bottom of the crescent wrench would be used to turn their tanks, of some sort, on and off, like the lil keys they give you with the new torch kits?

Myself with 3 heavy *** wrenches.

Any info at all on any of these wrenches would be greatly appreicated, and I have more pictures if anyone wants to see more!!

EDIT- A last question I had was, how come theres so many 'large crescent wrenches'. I can't picture what'd they would use these for in the early 1900s, unless maybe they put a device on the pipe, like a spacer, and then used the wrench to tighten it?
    Last edited by Aaron91; 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Check out these wrenches I just recieved!!

This is getting away from antique tools, but sometime if you don't already have such, you might want to add these to your wish list. http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/68309.html

Also, if you're anywhere near Frederick or Washington county you might like to check out the auction and antique farm machinery show held mid-late June (I'll look up dates if interested) at the Middletown Fire Dept grounds. They have vintage tools there both for sale and display. There's another good show over in Easton, MD later on in the summer and one in Mid September north and west of Baltimore. There are more, but these are ones I know to be good.
    Last edited by Woussko; 05-17-2007, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I already got the complete Husky set of those, but thanks for giving me a heads up to look at that, they're so nice for tighting up the nut on the pop up rod when your cramped up in the vanity and all. Those sound like cool events, I might check out the one on the Middletown Fire Dept grounds to widen my vintage tool collection, depending on how far the drive is.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hey Aaron , I"m not positive but the wrench you refered to as a monkey wrench is a old fire hydrant wrench . That's a nice collection you have
        Joe / APF

Comment

Aaron

Middletown to the west of Frederick along Alternate 40 at the intersection of Route 17. The auction is on Friday afternoon - evening, June 29 and the main show is on Saturday (all day) and Sunday (daytime only).

Please note the ratcheting wrenches in my post have 3/16 and 1/4 square openings on one end. Those can come in very handy at times.

You can prowl this forum some and see where there was a survey for the oldest still in use pipe wrench. I have a 24" Ridgid that's got to be over 60 and I use it all the time. It came my way pretty battered up but it gets the job done.
          Last edited by Woussko; 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

"I was thinking the bottom of the crescent wrench would be used to turn their tanks, of some sort, on and off, like the lil keys they give you with the new torch kits?"

It's was used with old style acetylene bottles, they had a square valve stem like your current B tanks but larger. Used to use a long T shaped wrench for the larger tanks. You needed the long length to reach in through the collar on the bottle which protected the valve. Most acetylene bottles I see now a days have a handle on the valve.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Your oldest wrenches were called "ford wrenches" because when the model t came out, It had a toolbox w/ a couple screwdrivers, hammer and that wrench. That's how they got the name.

Your "monkey wrench" looks like a spanner wrench to me. Apf said fire hydrant wrench. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

aaron, can you in the future post your pictures as a thumbnail?

the way your hosting them now takes time to open 1 at a time and opens up to a big advertising site.

is it only me, or is this what everyone else is seeing too?

josh, can you help or make suggestions.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

His pics are coming up great for me. The pics are posted right along with his post. I don't have to click anything to see them unless I want to see a pic larger. Thats how I'd like to be able to post pics, if it works for everyone anyway.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

T Handle Socket Wrench
                    I think this is along the line of what Bob D was talking about. These come in 4 side (square) and 6 side (hex) openings.

Can anyone tell me what picture 2 is? I bet someone like Plumber Rick knows and uses them.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Woussko; 05-18-2007, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      T Handle Socket Wrench
                      I think this is along the line of what Bob D was talking about. These come in 4 side (square) and 6 side (hex) openings.

Can anyone tell me what picture 2 is? I bet someone like Plumber Rick knows and uses them.
                      right and wrong

i know what they are, but i don't use them.

it's a valve handle wrench

typically the largest valves i turn off are 6''. some have chain drives and some have good old fashion ductile handles.

believe it or not. i usually have a harder time with large ball valves. the handles tend to bend if not regularly exercised

how do you think i get my exercise

no. it's not typing with 2 fingers

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

LOL Rick

You get it by grunting & groaning working hard. That's how

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          Aaron, can you in the future post your pictures as a thumbnail?

the way your hosting them now takes time to open 1 at a time and opens up to a big advertising site.

is it only me, or is this what everyone else is seeing too?

josh, can you help or make suggestions.

rick.
                          Happens to me too Rick, and after the first one I didn't bother looking at any more images. Too risky security wise, not saying that Aaron is doing anything wrong, but I wonder why (and how) some of these free image hosting sites exist. They are making money off site visitors somehow, and its probably from harvesting your email address and selling them to internet marketers (some of whom are slammers, but not all). You all may think I'm paranoid, but I know enough about web hosting to know it is not difficult to do.

Anyway, I don't visit the images that people link to on third party hosting sites. My loss sometimes I am sure, but that's my choice.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That's the name , a spanner wrench , we used them on hydrants in Chicago ,Thank-you

Comment

My only question is, what are all those 'cresent' type wrenches used for back then, I still can't picture it...

Woussko- thanks for the info on the events.

Bob- thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Gear junkie- thanks for that info!!

Rick- I'll try and remember that for next time, sorry.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                              X