Slam this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slam this

Does anyone know if there is a clearer version of this pic available anywhere other than the subscription site. It's pretty self explanatory I'd guess but I'd like to see the details and the text.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
      This might be my guide for doing undersink plumbing. It's a pic from an article by Rex Cauldwell, author and master plumber and master electrician.

The pic is fuzzy, but he is showing everything in 1.5" schedule 40, the p-trap then going into 2" drain.

No vent, but an AAV can be placed where the cleanout is shown above the flex combo at the base.

Your comments, as always, are certainly welcome. No trolls, please.
      this set up is illegal in many ways according to the upc code book. someone had mentioned to use a center outlet setup, if I recall, center outlets are not allowed because they have no baffel in them like an end outlet does, which gives the waste direction. I took a code class on the 2003 code book for 11 months and this was a discussion. Also the use of branch tailpieces to hook up d/w right to the t/p, illegal because of an approved "air gap", to prevent cross contamination. not sure if this helps, but I thought it would be interesting since we were talking about under the k/s
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I would not plumb it this way either. As far as as having septic, I grew in Newport Rhode Island. Every home I can remember had garbage disposals including those on septic, which was allot. Of course we were more carefully with our use of it, but I cannot remember ever having a problem. The homes here in San Diego CA on septic use septic assist garbage disposal. http://www.insinkerator.com/isejsp/p...5&template=hhd
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
          I would not plumb it this way either. As far as as having septic, I grew in Newport Rhode Island. Every home I can remember had garbage disposals including those on septic, which was allot. Of course we were more carefully with our use of it, but I cannot remember ever having a problem. The homes here in San Diego CA on septic use septic assist garbage disposal. http://www.insinkerator.com/isejsp/p...5&template=hhd
          I agree,many,many,about 30,custom homes over 5,000 sq.ft. with multiple standard garbabe disposals in the house.
          Residences over 20 years old showing no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            this set up is illegal in many ways according to the upc code book. someone had mentioned to use a center outlet setup, if I recall, center outlets are not allowed because they have no baffel in them like an end outlet does, which gives the waste direction. I took a code class on the 2003 code book for 11 months and this was a discussion. Also the use of branch tailpieces to hook up d/w right to the t/p, illegal because of an approved "air gap", to prevent cross contamination. not sure if this helps, but I thought it would be interesting since we were talking about under the k/s
            Robert, 11 months on UPC!! Did you guys go over 1 section a month? Was it worthwhile or would just reading the UPC have done the same? When the upc talks about no center outlet setup, are they talking about the $5.00 center outlet setup with all slip joints? Rex's version does provide a direction of flow, right? I got Rex's 2nd book and was dissapointed. The shadetree method of plumbing was very noticable in his 2nd book. I still learned something!! But I can't remember what it was?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Robert, 11 months on UPC!! Did you guys go over 1 section a month? Was it worthwhile or would just reading the UPC have done the same? When the upc talks about no center outlet setup, are they talking about the $5.00 center outlet setup with all slip joints? Rex's version does provide a direction of flow, right? I got Rex's 2nd book and was dissapointed. The shadetree method of plumbing was very noticable in his 2nd book. I still learned something!! But I can't remember what it was?

I took 11 months on the UPC because I felt it was something I had to do to better myself. I went twice a week to evening class, 5:30-9pm. Great class, taught by a highly reputable city inspector, he has been teaching the code class for over 10 years if I recall. We covered everything from definitions to cross connection control, from venting and combustion air to rainwater sizing etc. If you look in an end outlet tubular tee, you will see a baffel in the inlet, a center outlet tee does not have a baffel, atleast I haven't seen anything like that. by direction of flow, you might be thinking of the radius of the fitting, that is not necessarily direction, think of why the code states we are unable to lay a santee on it's back, it has a "direction of flow", but not like a wye 1/8 bend has. with a comby, the path is guaranteed and the transition is smooth to help maintain velocity
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 06-16-2007, 08:12 PM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Yea, and you paid him for the book. Why didn't you save the money and read the code?
                the dog

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;79356]

when was the last time we used sweat stops, other than for tub/ shower valves never for inside of cabinets for fixtures

Help me understand this. I assume that the preferred stop is not a sweat stop but a compression stop inside cabinets? If not, what is?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the info Robert. I kinda see what you're talking about. Was your class held by UPCC? Any info if they hold these courses in VA?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the info Robert. I kinda see what you're talking about. Was your class held by UPCC? Any info if they hold these courses in VA?
                      Hard to explain over the computer, I have a hard time putting things into words, glad I helped a bit. This code class is held by a occupational school here in los angeles, not sure if they have it back east. It's a local thing. I would check the PHCC or IAPMO in your area. I recieved my IAPMO mag and they had a whole section on water sizing. VA has the UPC or the IPC? I always thought it was the IPC What is the UPCC??
                      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 06-16-2007, 10:11 PM.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

It's late, I meant PHCC. Va uses the 03 ipc
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 06-16-2007, 10:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=nervous;82030]
                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

when was the last time we used sweat stops, other than for tub/ shower valves never for inside of cabinets for fixtures

Help me understand this. I assume that the preferred stop is not a sweat stop but a compression stop inside cabinets? If not, what is?

Thanks
                          I re-read Ricks post that you are refering to twice and I don't understand the direction of your question.
                          Yes,compression m.i.p. or f.i.p. angle stops.

Comment

I was just curious as to what the preferred stop was based on his comment and you answered that completely.

Thanks

Comment

this set up would not be to code in canada that is for sure. using a double wye and 45 brings the vent level too low to work properly. also the vent cannot be a smaller pipe size than 1 1/4.
                              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                              X