X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slam this

This might be my guide for doing undersink plumbing. It's a pic from an article by Rex Cauldwell, author and master plumber and master electrician.

The pic is fuzzy, but he is showing everything in 1.5" schedule 40, the p-trap then going into 2" drain.

No vent, but an AAV can be placed where the cleanout is shown above the flex combo at the base.

Your comments, as always, are certainly welcome. No trolls, please.
    Attached Files

Re: Slam this

Why not just buy a center outlet waste in a box. Drop that into p- trap and on into your san-tee fittining, with air vent on top of san-tee. Bottom of tee to drain. Saw your post on contractor forum. Why did you change your name?
    We are just trying to help you complete this project so we can help the next guy in need. Freddy

Comment

How about a link to a "center outlet waste in a box?"

Does it have an easy way to patch in the drain from the DW?

Sounds like what we'll be using in the boiler room for the hydronic heating package: "boiler room control board," or "boiler room in a box." Shop-made, boiler loop, and high temp and low temp loops, controls, etc.

Name? I wanted something spiffy, not generic. Sorta like "Plumbdog," or "Plumberscrack."

Comment

The purpose of the drawing in your post was for a specific reason, and it was stated in the article the picture was with, TO MAXIMIZE STORAGE SPACE.

Better Undersink Plumbing
        Throw away the traditional P-trap to minimize leaks and maximize storage space
        by Rex Cauldwell
        Traditional undersink plumbing layouts leave little room for storage and often put pipes at risk of damage from inadvertent bumps and bangs. Veteran plumber Rex Cauldwell has come up with a better way to arrange undersink plumbing: He gets rid of the traditional P-trap and moves the plumbing to the rear cabinet wall under the sink. Using an assortment of well-designed plumbing parts, Cauldwell is able to create a system that drains faster and offers more storage space beneath the sink.
        http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...px?ac=ts&ra=fp
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~

pictures are of a "center outlet waste" and in "a box", is the box that it comes in as a complete unit,
        Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I own 3 of Rex's books and they're great. I use close to the same setup.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Of course his design means nothing if you want a garbage disposal.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              Get his book, they sell them at home depot in the contractor service section. He does address this issue.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm actually reading his book right now, and just skimmed over this section. Very good book.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Get his book, they sell them at home depot in the contractor service section. He does address this issue.
                  LOL - I'm sure I am fine without his book. My point was he is maximizing under sink space but has not included a disposal. I'm not sure what part of the Country he is in but I have not seen a sink without a disposal in 20-years. In addition, unless you are doing production work you should always maximize the area under any sink.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just for info, around here in NC, no one will honor any warrantee on a septic system if a garbage disposal is installed.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

No disposals where we're building. All the houses have septic systems, and most are weekend or vacation places.

How do you like the way the DW drain comes in? And the block standoff for the HW and CW supply lines on R?

Comment

LOL - I'm sure I am fine without his book. My point was he is maximizing under sink space but has not included a disposal. I'm not sure what part of the Country he is in but I have not seen a sink without a disposal in 20-years. In addition, unless you are doing production work you should always maximize the area under any sink.

Mark
                        I think he's from either va or west va.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mark
                          Come-on Utah,

The man is a "MASTER PLUMBER" and a "MASTER ELECTRICIAN". And, he has revolutionized the plumbing industry.

Utah, this is not a plumber, he is a plumbing GOD. Guys like us are outdated, as a matter of fact we should retire now. Rex Cauldwell is here.

But, I'm wondering how you install a disposer (as you said), and how you pass a rough in inspection in California with no gravity vent.
                          the dog

Comment

i don't know rex, but from the little bit of a drawing/ photo that was posted. i don't think he has plumbing 101 down.

since when can we use rubber san tees? these are things that they sell at hardware stores and are not legal here for indoor inspected work.

not knocking him, but not sure if this is a book for pros, or a do it yourself guide.

rick.

i thought we were done with this topic
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gdavis62 View Post
                              How do you like the way the DW drain comes in? And the block standoff for the HW and CW supply lines on R?
                              If a plumber installed that crap in my house I'd throw his a$$ out!

Comment

Working...
                              X