No announcement yet.

Hardest job you've done?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest job you've done?

What's the hardest job you've done? Physically or time wise, no matter.

Mine was after Hurricane Katrina I worked w/ Gulfport PW and we were shutting down water breaks. The city had only around 5psi because all all the line breaks. After about 2 weeks we got most of the leaks fixed and the pressure was normal again.

Anyway, Army came in and was clearing a road and knocked off a fire hydrant and the gate valve for it. We couldn't find the shutoff valve and I had to put the 6" valve on live. I was the only one big enough to handle the valve with the room available. Took about 2 hours and lots of cussing. The water rushing past blew so much sand down my pants that I couldn't even bend my legs. I had to grab the backhoe bucket and have it lift me out because I couldn't move.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Hardest job you've done?

Boy I'm sure those were tough times. I am walking out the door to head out of State in a minute but the first which comes to mind was the Northridge Earthquake. We had a couple of thousand units in the SF Valley we took care of and I knew they had damage. The freeway between my valley and the SF Valley had fallen down and I had to go the long way so a 20-mile drive was 4-hours. I could not get ahold of any of the managers or the managment company as all of the phones were out. I loaded up all of our trucks and we carravaned into the area and worked several days without any time off. When we ran out of parts I would send runners 150-miles away to Barstow to buy supplies. It took months to fix the freeway and even longer to patch all of the buildings up.

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Hardest job you've done?

WOW Gear junkie.!!! Sounds like that was a blast. Wish I could have been right next to you. Quite a challenge I'm sure .
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland