X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street fittings?

How did street elbows get the description "street"?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Street fittings?

I always wondered that myself. I would think they were used alot underground, near/or under the street I would think?!

Around here BGE, the local gas supplier uses a street 90 soon as the gas piping comes in from the street into the meter.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I lost the post, I will try again, ticks me off,

any way, I found a paragraph in a book that got me thinking,

by, William Kryskill "The Story of Hyeholde"
      any way the basic first part of the paragraph, was, talking about romance and the history of plumbing, and then the basic statement,

So many of the terms
      "pertain to the anatomy: nipples—street ells—male and female-elbows—bonnets—sill c0cks—glands. ..."

and then I added,

Union,
      Coupling.

most are a form of sexual slang or sexual part or reference, of the body.

still don't see a relation ship to "street" tho,

In my thinking I was wondering if "street" would refer to prostitute or hooker, or slang for gay, not being male or female? Such as "street walker" but I do not know that.

The other possibility that crossed my mind was that the term could be transliterated, in that the sound is used not the meaning from another language,
      (example: the biblical word Deacon, if translated from the Greek the definition would be "table waiter" not "church leader", the sound is similar to the Greek word but the meaning has changed in modern usage.)

If any one knows the origin language of some of the other words, Nipple, c0ck, glands, and other common terms used in the description of plumbing parts,

also if the terms are new or old,
      as it would appear as if many of the items are recent inventions, a few hundred years, but then the Romans used lead pipe to carry water,

So if any one knows there plumbing history and shed some light on this it would be fun to discover the origin of the words.

I have not taken time to study the origins of the words my self,
      Last edited by BHD; 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

here is a possibility,
        http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...rchmode=nl&p=1
        canyon
        1834, from Mex.Sp. cañon, extended sense of Sp. cañon "a pipe, tube, gorge," from cano "a tube," from L. canna "reed" (see cane). But earlier spelling callon (1560s) might suggest a source in calle "street."

or even jsut the term street meaning path,

but using the first one if at one time the definition of "street" meant tube or pipe, and elbow meaning a "bend", or a bend in something,
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

So what about Sir Thomas Crapper?...did he really invent the toilet and the Queen of England knighted him for it?

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            So what about Sir Thomas Crapper?...did he really invent the toilet and the Queen of England knighted him for it?

Comment

"a fitting that fits inside another fitting is also known as a "street" fitting"
              http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html

Terms used:
              Slip = a regular hub - pipe is sweated (soldered) into this
              Spigot = the same size as pipe - will sweat into another fitting
              Mips = Male pipe threads
              Fips = Female pipe threads
              A "fitting" male, "fitting" female, "fitting" 90 or "fitting" 45
              is a fitting that fits inside another fitting is also known as a "street" fitting
              A "reducer" is the same as a "bushing"
              A "reducing coupling" is the same as a "bell reducer"
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

wrote (emailed), the people at plumbingsupply.com as they had a place to ask a question, and this is the reply they gave and it makes as much since as any,

Thank you for contacting us.

That is a good question.

Our plumbing expert has a theory that says "a spigot fitting is
                abbreviated as 'st.', and as a result, many people have thought it
                was 'street' instead of the 'spigot' it represented".

Spigot and street fit the same.

We hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Stefani
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                from another site,
                http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cg..._Do_I_Need.htm
                you have to either have one of the fittings be a street fitting (aka spigot fitting)

Before this I had never heard the term "spigot fitting".
                Last edited by BHD; 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I think the name came from its popular use in water and gas service drops to homes. Another name for this fitting is a Service Ell. Not sure but I believe their use for making service taps off the street mains is what lead to their common name of Street Ell.

With one fitting it was possible to make the service drop to each house. Service 45s (I've heard these called Street 45s but not as often as the 90° ells) are also available.

They have a number of positive aspects to them:
                  1. One less connection to leak.
                  2. Faster to install than a nipple and ell.
                  3. Fewer fittings to carry.
                  4. Reduced material cost.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

Before this I had never heard the term "spigot fitting".
                    Before "No-Hub" cast-iron we used "Bell & Spigot" cast-iron which had a Bell (Hub) end on one side and a spigot end on the other.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

When you order tehm, you can order them as "street fittings" or as "hub X Spigot" fittings

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        "a fitting that fits inside another fitting is also known as a "street" fitting"
                        http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html

Terms used:
                        Slip = a regular hub - pipe is sweated (soldered) into this
                        Spigot = the same size as pipe - will sweat into another fitting
                        Mips = Male pipe threads
                        Fips = Female pipe threads
                        A "fitting" male, "fitting" female, "fitting" 90 or "fitting" 45
                        is a fitting that fits inside another fitting is also known as a "street" fitting
                        A "reducer" is the same as a "bushing"
                        A "reducing coupling" is the same as a "bell reducer"
                        A "reducer" is not the same as a "bushing". Dude, and others, learn your fittings if you want to call yourself plumbers.
                        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                          A "reducer" is not the same as a "bushing". Dude, and others, learn your fittings if you want to call yourself plumbers.
                          dog is back and healthy

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            At one time I started a post about a book review I did. I suggested

Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization

by Hodding Carter. New York: Atria Books, c.2006.

At this time I would suggest it again. But if it's not available on DVD, I would assume most of you are not interested.
                            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                              But if it's not available on DVD, I would assume most of you are not interested.
                              What happened in your life to make you so cynical?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X