X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump SP500

Picked up a SP500 at Home Depot this weekend and installed the unit in my basement. I have a high water table and it's turning on every 15-30 min. I long can I expect this pump to last? Thx.

I have had a SP500 in my sump hole for over one year. It goes on approx every 20-30 minutes on a daily basis. Except for the dry spells in July & August. I live in the eastern part of massachusetts. Only problem I experienced is the base developed a case of rust.

Comment

The SP-500 is good for residential use. I'm on my second one from Home Depot. The first one died after 5 years and Home Depot pro-rated me on a replacement. That one recently had a switch failure after 2 years and left us with 7 inches of water in the cellar. The pump was efficient when it was running and it's lifetime warranty was a promising feature. Now to get it repaired means driving(60+ miles) or shipping it to Everett. The only other place for us is in Boston. That's not real handy when you already have water and Home Depot won't take them back now. One word of advice, if you have heavy iron in your ground water, take the pump out once a year when it's not needed and hose it down really good. Use a wire brush if it is crusty. Make sure you get any gunk accumulations out of the impeller area.
      The new pump that I picked up yesterday also has a lifetime warranty but I can take it back for a free replacement at any of that chains stores. I have no idea what I'll do with the dead one. Need any spare parts?

Comment

Consider a Zoeller brand sump pump. Have been installing them for years and fully expect and tell customers to expect 20 years of service from them. Zoeller is an American made pump and they are a pump compamy that specializes in pumps, it is not just another sideline for profits. Google them up and check em out.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

PLUMBER,
          20 YEARS? I'VE PUT IN HUNDREDS OF ZOLLERS. I'VE NEVER SEEN A ZOLLER LAST 20 YEARS. THEY ARE EPOXIE COATED STEEL. SITTING IN WATER 24 HOURS A DAY, I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING ABLE TO SURVIVE THIS LONG. THEY DO MAKE A BRONZE BODY UNIT, BUT I CAN'T VOUCH FOR THOSE.
          IF THE RIDGID COMES WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY, WHY DOES THE ZOLLER COME WITH A 1 YEAR? I'VE NEVER INSTALLED A RIDGID, BUT I,VE NEVER REPALCED A ZOLLER UNDER IT'S 1 YEAR WARRANTY. IF IT LAST 20 YEARS, WHY THE 1 YEAR WARRANTY?
          NOT DOUBTING YOU PLUMBER. JUST CURIOUS.
          RICK.

Comment

I replaced it with a Craftsman(can I say that here?) Professional 1/2 hp. I don't know where it's made. My perimeter pipes, below cellar floor pipes and water filter discharge all go into my sump pit. It all goes somewhere but not to my septic system. The town has a don't ask don't tell policy for sump discharge but you can be fined if it goes to your septic.

Comment

Rick,

20 years is what I tell customers and I fully expect them to last that long. These are heavy pumps made for the long haul. The Eads Bridge over the Mississippi river in St Louis is made iron and steel and it has been standing for over 100 years exposed to extremely corrosive air pollution and oxygen. Not all of the iron and steel of that bridge has been replaced and it carries thousands of heavy vehicles across a very big river on a daily basis. There are many Zoeller pumps that I installed as an apprentice decades ago that are still in service and doing their jobs as intended. And my installs number in the many hundreds also.

Will they all last 20 years, no. Most of them will. Unless Zoeller has changed something, I could look God himself in the eye and tell him I fully expect 20 years from a Zoeller submersable sump pump. I have replaced pumps in the Mississippi river bottoms where the water table is just a few feet below the surface that were 25 and 30 years old. The key is proper installation and sizing. I have yet to see another brand hold up to what the Zoellers have done.

Comment

PLUMBER, I THINK WE ARE DESCRIBING 2 DIFFERENT LEVELS OF PUMPS. YOUR DESCRIBING A LARGER COMMERCIAL INSTALLATION IN A COMMERCIAL APPLICATION. THE PUMPS THAT I'M COMPARING THE RIDGID TO IS COMPRABLE TO A ZOLLER M53 OR M57. COST UNDER $100. DON'T THINK A $100 ZOLLER OR RIDGID WILL LAST 20 YEARS. DON'T THINK ANY PUMP AT THIS PRICE RANGE WILL HOLD UP TO 20 YEARS OF SERVICE. ONCE AGAIN THE 2 PEOPLE WERE REFERRING TO INEXPENSIVE HOMEROWNER STYLE PUMPS. INCLUDING THE NEW CRAFTSMAN HE REPLACED IT WITH.
                SURE HOPE THE 6'' PUMPS I INSTALLED WITH A CRANE WILL LAST THAT 20 YEARS. I DON'T LOOK FORWARD TO REPLACING THEM ANYTIME SOON.
                RICK

Comment

Rick, even the 50 series can last 20 years though not as frequently as the 98 and even with the 50 series I can look a customer in the eye and tell them they could get 20 years out of it. But if a pump is running every fifteen miutes 24/7/365 as derekgaddy mentioned he should step up a grade to the 98. He should also strongly consider a battery back up pump with so much water pushing on his footings and walls. With a high water table its not only important to keep your floor dry but you need to protect the integrity of your foundation. In extreme situations I have had to install a pump system on two different sides of a home but that is quite rare.

For those interested in the Cadillac of pumps then I highly reccomend visiting Zoeller Pumps' home page and take a good look around. You spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on your home. Don't scrimp on a quality pump to protect it. And then follow the proper installation procedures including check valves and relief holes.

derekgaddy, It is also important to install the proper style of pump in your home. If you have a thin, narrow pit you may need to consider a pedistal pump so your system does not have to cycle as often, also check to be sure your gutters and downspouts move rainwater away from the house. Examine the grade of your lawn to be sure that surface water from your property and that of your neighbors does not pool next your your house or close to it. Check to be sure there are no leaks in your water service, swimming pool or garden pond.

And lastly, be sure your pump is not just recycling the same water over and over. It is a common mistake many homeowners and novice builders make. Route your pumps discharge line so the water is carried away from the outside walls of your home so it will not find its way right back to your sump pit again. IF your State and community building codes allow it, you can route your sump water into your sanitary sewer line. It will work well for you but you will then be increasing the load on your communities wastewater treatment system.

Comment

Yankee - you said Home Depot won't take them back now? Why is that?

Comment

They're carrying another line of sumps now and not Ridgids. I guess they just don't want to deal with them or swap me for a different make.

Comment

I just bought a SP-500 today at Home Depot and they told me that if/when it doesn't work, bring it back to Home Depot for warranty handling. I sure hope that wasn't a line of b.s.

Comment

Rick,

Can I ask you a question?

You are advocating a product you have never installed. Why? Because you can't stand to not be the expert?

I've installed numerous Zoeller Pumps, and have found them to be the most reliable sump-pumps made. Plumber is correct.

This lifetime warrenty bulls**t is just that. Get with the program. A warrenty does you no good if your basement is full of water. Oh, after a drawn out process they will replace your pump, but who pays the plumber to pump it out, replace your pump, and pay for your furnishings. It's the same lifetime warrenty that Craftsman gives on their tools. It did me no good when three times I had to replace a ratchet, which interfered with the completion of a job.

Each time an eighteen year old kid gladly replaced my ratchet. But no one replaced my labor time. That was when I was an apprentice. I learned from that. I know as an adult that a lifetime warrenty is no substitute for a quality built product.

Zoeller is probably the best sump pump on the market. It's the best I know. When you have experience with Ridgid let us know. And if you want to know about the Ridgid warrenty process, look at the forums below.

the dpg
                          the dog

Comment

DOG, THERE YOU GO AGAIN, TRYING TO READ THROUGH THE LINES. INTERESTING YOU DIDN'T HIGHLITE AND QUOTE ME LIKE YOU DO ALL THE TIME. FOLLOW ME HERE. I KNOW THIS MIGHT BE DIFFICULT FOR YOU SO I WILL TYPE IN CAPS. MAYBE BOLD CAPS LIKE YOU ALWAYS COPY AND PASTE.

I SAID THAT I NEVER INSTALLED THE RIDGID LINE OF PUMPS. I SAID THAT I HAVE INSTALLED HUNDREDS OF THE ZOLLER PUMPS. THE ZOLLER IS A DECENT PUMP FOR THE MONEY, BUT THEY ARE NOT LASTING 20 YEARS IN THE ENVIROMENT THEY ARE USED, FOR A $100 PUMP. HENCE THE 1 YEAR WARRANTY? ALMOST EVERY PLUMBING SUPPLY STOCKS THE ZOLLER PUMP. VERY EASY TO GET WHEN YOU NEED THEM. THEIR HIGHER END PUMPS MIGHT LAST 20 YEARS, BUT WE WERE COMPARING THE LOWER PRICED RESIDENTIAL MARKET TYPE PUMP. ZOLLER M53- 57 TO THE RIDGID PUMPS.
                            AS A MATTER OF FACT I AM SITTING ON OVER 20 ZOLLER PUMPS FOR THE NEXT SEASON. IF THESE PUMPS LASTED 20 YEARS, I'LL BE AN OLD MAN BEFORE I SELL THE STOCK I HAVE.

AS FAR AS AN EXPERT GOES. YOU SAID IT, AND YOU TOO ARE AN EXPERT IN PLUMBING. WE JUST DON'T HAVE THE SAME EXPERTIECE IN SOME FIELDS. PUMPS I THINK I KNOW A LITTLE BETTER THAN MOST. I REBUILD THEM MYSELF. IF THE COST OF THE PUMP IS HIGH. WHY SPEND $100. REBUILDING A $79. PUMP?

AS FAR AS A LIFETIME WARRANTY GOES. THE ONLY CO. THAT I KNOW THAT STANDS BEHND THEIR PRODUCTS 100% IS INSINKERATOR, (AN EMERSON CO). IN FACT THEY OFFER QUALIFIED CONTRACTORS AN EXTENDED WARRANTY POLICY. THEY EVEN SEND OUT THERE OWN FACTORY AUTH. PEOPLE TO TAKE CARE OF IT. I'VE NEVER SEEN OR HAD A CUSTOMER GET A BILL. TRY TO SAY THAT ABOUT ANY OTHER FACTORY WARRANTY IN THE PLUMBING MARKET.
                            WATER HEATERS ARE A PRIME EXAMPLE OF A VERY LIMITED WARRANTY. THAT'S WHY I SELL 6 YEAR HEATERS AND NOT 12 YEAR HEATERS. THE MONEY SPENT ON A 12 YEAR WARRANTY IS A GIMMICK. UNLESS THE HOMEOWNER CAN REMOVE AND INSTALL THE REPLACEMENT HEATER THEMSELVES, THEY ARE PAYING FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING A PROCESSING FEE FROM THE SUPPLY HOUSE. UNLESS OF COURSE YOU CAN PROVE THAT THE HEATER WAS PURCHASED FROM THEM.
                            BY THE WAY DOG, THIS TOPIC (MY POSTING) HAS BEEN DEAD FOR MONTHS. YOU'VE GOT TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR PAWS.

RICK.

Comment

Sorry Rick,

There is no statute of limitations on wrong answers here.

the dog

[ 08-19-2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X