X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online plumbing stores?

Hey guys, I tried but can't find a website that sells 1/4 turn frost proof hose bibs. Anyone happen to know of any large well stocked sites? The main one I know of is plumbingsupply.com but they didn't carry it. Thanks
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Online plumbing stores?

Does it need to be an online web site dealer? How about trying Ferguson and Noland? They are walk in plumbing supply companies. See Yellow Pages - Plumbing Supplies Wholesale

Comment

pexsupply.com is one I use. I also get lots from ebay. No particular seller, just look for the deals. Let me know if you need some tips on ebay shopping. In this area Ferguson and noland's are rip offs. I've already vented that issue on this forum. My local home depot sells the hose bibbs you're looking for. They're chrome body, round brown handle w/ a vacuum breaker on top. Can't remember the manufactor.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Try doing a search for a sillcock. I bought one last week from HD at the store and it was called a frostproof sillcock.
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Aaron,

Online plumbing suppliers are useless. How can you order supplies for a job over some faceless internet site. Time is of the essence on any project. If the order is delivered wrong, which (big suprise) they often are, do you then spend a week repackaging and reordering? You need to be able to discuss what they have in stock, and what alternative materials they may have available.

By the way, using Home Depot as your supplier, as someone mentioned, is even worse. That person has never professionally ran a plumbing project.
          the dog

Comment

Home Depot = Handy Clown Central The only thing I ever ordered online was Belvadere parts for a hair joint. None of my local supply house's or beauty supplyers had it local. Part numbers work great when possible.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
              Aaron,

Online plumbing suppliers are useless. How can you order supplies for a job over some faceless internet site. Time is of the essence on any project. If the order is delivered wrong, which (big suprise) they often are, do you then spend a week repackaging and reordering? You need to be able to discuss what they have in stock, and what alternative materials they may have available.

By the way, using Home Depot as your supplier, as someone mentioned, is even worse. That person has never professionally ran a plumbing project.
              Dog,
              You're old school and I can appreciate that but millions of faceless transactions go on everday without too much of a hiccup. When you buy on ebay, you see what all the prior customers thought of the seller. When I go to Fergusons; do I know that John and Jane Doe have been waiting on supplies for 2 weeks now? Or they got really bad service. No.

We tradesman pride ourselves on word of mouth advertising and that's what makes ebay successful. I do know this has limitations. If you're running a huge job then of course it's not feasible. Go to 1 place and get everything you need in one shot. For most plumbers, I think it will work. It sounded like Aaron needed 1 hose bibb, not 5000. Give online a shot. I gather you're a plumbing foreman. Do you have to pay for the material? Rhetorical question. Your priorities are different. You get paid by production and not by saving your company $500 on materials. Ultimately, my customers pays for the material but if I can save $10 here and there, it adds up. I just have do some prior planning.

That person has never professionally ran a plumbing project.
              Not sure if I ever properly introduced myself. US Navy Seabee and I've been in for 9 years. Currently stationed stateside and work at a local plumbing/hvac company after hours and on weekends. Go to college for HVAC during the weekdays at night. Biggest project I ever professionally managed was a running a 12" waterline 1300', there were 6 valve boxes (10'x20'x8) and every one had all the backflow devices and gate valves. The project was worth $700,000, had 50,000 mandays and I had 28 guys working for me directly. Built and laid pipe from Iraq to the Phillipines and lots of places in between. Haven't done it all but willing to give it shot.

Ben
              Last edited by gear junkie; 05-27-2007, 03:05 AM. Reason: forgot something
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for everyones replies...

Woussko- No it doesn't have to be, but with the hours and times I do side work the local stores... Ferguson, Noland's, Somerville, and North Eastern are all closed.

Gear Junkie- I did a side job a few months ago and was apply to purchase the 1/4 turn frost proof sill cocks at a local Lowes, which they do not stock anymore, the Home Depot is my area doesn't stock any sort of 1/4 turn sill cocks.

Dsurette- Thanks for that tip, I tried sill cocks instead of hose bibs and found a few results.

Plumbdog10- I understand completely were your coming from, but in this case it's for a side job were all 3 current hose bibs are functioning properly and there's no rush to change them, just whenever I get the materials and time to complete the job.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I can see some of you have never lived in Rural America,
                  When a good local location, has the choice of one brand and you have the single handle model and the two handle model of kitchen faucet available Oh and one more option, with or without sprayer, and the basically the same type of choices for the bath, but you do have some additional options, you can buy a Windmill Head, or Livestock watering tank, or a horse riding saddle along with your plumbing needs.
                  (Don't get me wrong, they do have an excellent selection for the size of area and the population they are in),

The first time I walked into a big box store it was like a candy store. Hardly ever shopped in on as it was a 3 hr drive to it.

Mail order has always been a big part of things in our area, (remember the era of Sears and Wards catalogs),

I have seen things with the Internet that I never knew were available.

The Difference is you have to plan ahead, you cant wait until the last minute to order and do the just in time delivery crap,
                  or you will be setting on your butt waiting for some back order or some thing you either ordered wrong or they shipped wrong,

UPS has been a wonderful thing as well,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Doing side jobs at the age of 16?? are you nuts? I hope there is someone who can bail you out when you get in over your head....it's just a matter of time.

Comment

A few tips I have found in searching on the net,
                      I use Google,

try many different terms, if you see a term in a heading that is similar try that as well,
                      Example: silcock, frost proof cock, frost proof faucet, out door faucet, hose bib, Hydrant, freeze proof, and so on, combinations of the terms,

on some words try them separated and together,
                      like: frost proof or freeze proof, try freezeproof or frostproof, regardless of the correct spelling as some companies change wording to make a trade name or product distinction from the competitors,

the big problem is the computer will only search on exactly what it is asked for to look at, not the related items, so unless you search for what the other guy called it you wont find it.

Google has a "product" search that searches out prices, (draw back is business have to up load there listing to it),

Google has the "image" search, many times if the store has not up loaded there product line to google's product listing, you will see there image of the item,

use quotes around the item IT will narrow the search as the words will have to be grouped together in the listings

I normally open it new window to explore the product,

Hope this helps,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, thanks yeah sometimes Googles alil tricky but I still love the lay out. I've been surfing www.accentshopping.com for awhile now and am highly impressed. They have all the name brand high quality products I'm looking for. I even was able to find the nice rubber handle Legend 1/4 froost proof sill cocks in all sorts of lengths, not just 12".
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron

In that case you might try this company. They are a huge industrial supply house and most of their business is web site and phone/fax orders. Their prices run high, but they normally have stock and ship things quickly by UPS to you. At 16, most likely you'll need Dad or Mom for a credit card or to hope you setup an open account. Here is their main site. www.mscdirect.com

Here is the starting point for SILL COCKS. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVS...00000015753037

If you go to the main area, they have an interactive search engine. Keep trying as sometimes we need to use more than one name for an item.

Comment

Working...
                          X