Moen mixing valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moen mixing valve

What are the issues with the side spool?

I need to replace mine (1423) and need some advice as to what to "look out for/ avoid" doing so as not to botch the job.

I called Moen Canada and these are not part of the Warranty like the cartridges.

The person at Moen told me to remove the spool and soak overnight in a 50/50 mix of vineger and water. Then tap on a hard surface and ensure I can hear something like a marble moving when I shake the unit before reinstalling it.

I expect that CLR would also work well.....?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    very good obsevation pipes

i would have guessed it was a balancing spool as a normal 1200 0r 1225 cartridge typically doesn't plug up. i would think that when he removes the cart. he will find some debris in the port. make sure to flush out the valve before installing the new cart.

if you do have a balancing spool inside the cart. it can easily plug or freeze up. this is usually by construction debris, hard water, and lack of use.

the side spools are also another issue, but mine are now 15 years old and still working fine and have not replaced anything yet.

rick.

Comment

Every time I see a Moen shower valve thread my BP goes up. I absolutly hate Moen t\s valves. 2 hrs to replace a cartridge, what a fine product.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
        The rubber flange on the side of the cartridge had come off and somehow (????) got wedged in the incoming pipe.
        This usually happens when you're pulling it out, not when it's installed in the body. (Although Moen did once have a problem with new kitchen faucets when they started using a new inserter at the factory.) That's one of the reasons that you should have a spare set of parts before you take it to pieces.

I've never had to replace a balancing spool - usually just pulling out the inner core and cleaning the core and barrel will get them working again. It doesn't take much debris to stop the spool from sliding back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015
          Every time I see a Moen shower valve thread my BP goes up. I absolutly hate Moen t\s valves. 2 hrs to replace a cartridge, what a fine product.
          Actually, it's not always that bad. With the proper tools, the cartridge usually comes right out. It's only when they're old and subjected to hard water or rust or debris that you have a problem, or when you're trying to pull the cartridge with a pair of pliers.

Or - there's often a problem with the old brass cartridges coming out after fifteen years. There have been cases where I pulled one because it was old, not because it was no longer functioning.

Comment

As opposed to the 10 minutes it takes to rebuild a delta or kohler

How about the Moen single handle kitchen faucet that shuts itself off, another gem of Moen engineering.
            sigpic

Comment

I hate everything moen i remember agrivation even getting the handle back on the kitchen sink faucets.... comon Im sure I wasnt the only one!!! and then the shower valves how come they are the hardest to pull out even with the tool it is a bear!!! i used to be afraid i was going to pull the wall down sometimes!! Whenever I would reinstall it id use a liberal amount of grease on them with the hope that next time it wouldnt be so bad!

Comment

Boy, you guys must have a lot of time on your hands--this post is 15 months old!!!

Comment

Its been a slow morning......

Comment

don't you guys spin the cart back and forth before you pull . I do this every time and only need a puller about 5% of the time.

Comment

I only need the puller when I run into an older brass cartridge that may be partially frozen in the valve body. On the plastic cartridge I use the white insert that comes with the new ones. I also use the insert to install the new cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Leg View Post
                        This will help to get the old cartridge out, I use it for 1225 & 1222 cartridges.

Crappy picture but you get the point.

I have a neighbor who's a "can do!" sort of fellow who decided to replace his own Moen mixing valve cartridge. When he pulled out the stem the outside portion of the cartridge decided to stay put. It was happy to spin, but come out? Uh uh. (We have hard water so mineralization buildup between the cartridge and the valve body is the root cause.) He even broke off one of the two tabs trying to get the cartridge out. At this point he decided it might be time to ask for help.

Since my Moen puller wouldn't work with the stem gone I went to the hardware store and got the other Moen cartridge puller. It's usually called a 1/2" x 3-1/2" lag screw but it works wonders as a puller.

I took a 1/2" high speed drill and reamed what was left of the cartridge for a couple seconds.... (Holding the cartridge still with a screwdriver blocking the remaining tab. I turned the screw in a few turns, gave a couple of serious pulls on the end of the screw with a pair of pump pliers and TA DAAAAA!

I pointed out that he should consider installing a new valve since the hot water joint is showing signs of failure. The suggestion was taken under advisement.
                        Attached Files
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

That piece of galvy to the tub spout could be a problem, too.
                          Plenty of room to sweat in a new Posi-temp valve without
                          having to cut out any more wall.

Comment

A new valve would have cost more $. As it was they even provided the cartridge.

I wouldn't charge them as they are neighbors. The next morning a gift certificate to a small restaurant in a different town was taped to my front door. (I don't know how they knew I like that place. Scary.)
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                            X