X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen mixing valve

I have a Moen mixing valve in my tub/shower and I cannot get any cold water out of it. Does this mean a new cartridge is in order or just a cleaning? Or maybe something else? To give a little back ground, it acted up a couple of weeks ago, but I turned it off/on a couple of times and it was fine. That doesn't work this time. Any advice is appreciated.
    Jim

Re: Moen mixing valve

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
    I have a Moen mixing valve in my tub/shower and I cannot get any cold water out of it. Does this mean a new cartridge is in order or just a cleaning? Or maybe something else? To give a little back ground, it acted up a couple of weeks ago, but I turned it off/on a couple of times and it was fine. That doesn't work this time. Any advice is appreciated.
    Jim
    I usually clean and flush out the rough valve body with full house pressure before installing a new cartridge,be carefull not to gouge the inside while your trying to remove the mineral deposits.

Comment

Changing the Moen cartridge is the easiest faucet repair there is. More than 15 mins you are doing something wrong. The hardest part is getting the old 1 out.

Comment

Don't forget to add a light coat of plumber's grease to everything rubber. Rough mineral deposit can be softened by soaking some paper towels in vinager then shoving the towels in the valve body for half a day. The deposit will wipe right off then. Then flush the valve body w/ water.

Ben
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This will help to get the old cartridge out, I use it for 1225 & 1222 cartridges.

Crappy picture but you get the point.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys. Sounds like a cartridge change is in order. I guessed that would be the answer, but wanted to ask in case someone had run into something that I hadn't thought of. "Crack", I agree, the toughest part is getting the old one out--just changed one in the lav faucet a month ago. Thanks again, Jim

Comment

Check with the plumbing guys at HD, they usually have a stash of mixers in a drawer in the new kitchens section that they give out for free to warranty claims. Just bring your old valve with you. I think Moen qualifies for this

Comment

Well since no one else bothered to ask, Do you turn the handle or pull the handle to turn the water on ? it makes a difference.

If you turn the handle counter clockwise to turn on the water , a cartridge is all you will need.
                If you pull the handle out to turn on the water , you need the balancing spool.

Comment

PIPES: Thanks for the response/question. I turn the handle. I should have posted the model number and made it easier to respond--my boo-boo. As an update, I called Moen first thing this morning and a new cartridge will be here tomorrow. (Had to pay for the speedy shipping, but that was cheaper than the gas to go to the nearest HD to see if they had one as WBrooks suggested--80 miles round trip) Same distance to the nearest plumbing shop. Thanks again, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by PIPES View Post
                    Well since no one else bothered to ask, Do you turn the handle or pull the handle to turn the water on ? it makes a difference.

If you turn the handle counter clockwise to turn on the water , a cartridge is all you will need.
                    If you pull the handle out to turn on the water , you need the balancing spool.
                    very good obsevation pipes

i would have guessed it was a balancing spool as a normal 1200 0r 1225 cartridge typically doesn't plug up. i would think that when he removes the cart. he will find some debris in the port. make sure to flush out the valve before installing the new cart.

if you do have a balancing spool inside the cart. it can easily plug or freeze up. this is usually by construction debris, hard water, and lack of use.

the side spools are also another issue, but mine are now 15 years old and still working fine and have not replaced anything yet.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

UPDATE: The new cartridge came today and is installed. Plumberscrack, I failed the test--it took me an hour. I couldn't get the old one out using the method they described, but a little ingenuity and a lot of cussing finally overcame!! The interesting thing was what caused the cold water stoppage. It wasn't mineral buildup, construction materials, etc. The rubber flange on the side of the cartridge had come off and somehow (????) got wedged in the incoming pipe. That took a good part of the hour trying to get that out of the pipe. Final note: Happy showering tonight!!

Comment

UPDATE: The new cartridge came today and is installed. Plumberscrack, I failed the test--it took me an hour. I couldn't get the old one out using the method they described, but a little ingenuity and a lot of cussing finally overcame!!
                        Yea seen that a few times; kind of a fluke thing that some Moen cart. do.

It took you an hour because you read and followed their instructions.

I usually keep a roll of quarters nearby for the cussing jar.

Comment

the plastic magnum cartridges are usually very easy to pull. the brass carts. can be a real pain. the 2 pullers are useless until you use a vice grip to pull the center stem. then a puller with a ball detent or a proper easy out is all it takes.

i always use a copper brush/ 3/4'' to clean the valve then flush out the body before installing the new cart.

pipestone kid, keep this in mind in another 10 years

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber Rick, if I need another in ten years, I will have you and Mrs Seatdown come over and change it . Then we will sit on the pontoon and catch some nice fish and drink some cold ones.
                            Jim

Comment

Plumber Rick, if I need another in ten years, I will have you and Mrs Seatdown come over and change it . Then we will sit on the pontoon and catch some nice fish and drink some cold ones.
                              Jim
                              you got a deal. just swap out the cold ones for some root beers and i'll book it. mrs. seat down is waiting for an anniversary trip. she tore/ detached her retina and had an interesting procedure done to help reattach it. can't fly till the gas bubble dissolves.

wait till i tell here where we are going

correction, she has a tendency to log on at work and check up on me

now if only i can collect on the steak and brownies from other members.

thanks jim.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X