X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS Pipe

I know that it's not used anymore, not on the east coast at least and to use ABS glue to connect to pvc if need be. I searched around but I can't figure out why it's not used anymore, so I came to you guys...
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: ABS Pipe

Oatey makes a pvc to abs glue. Never tried it though.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry I think you mis understood the question...

Why isn't the pipe and fittings used anymore?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

ABS pipe is used in my part of the country, and I know it is used in Arizona quite a bit. It just depends on what the local suppliers stock. That will determine what is used more. Also, if you have to glue ABS to PVC, you should use a transition cement. Some codes do not allow an ABS to PVC glue joint.

Comment

Dam for he's it's forbidden by plumbers, I'm not sure if it's up to code or not though. I thought there was a defect with it like poly water pipe though?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Not sure of the entire answer but I do know it's flammable. Mark and Rick could probably give you the best answer. Never seen it in this area except in 1 home where the guy was a diy type.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This is interesting;

http://www.abspipes.com/faq.html

http://www.codecheck.com/abs.htm
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Another case of People vs. some poor company who sucks.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Aaron,

You are under the NSP Code which is a Code I do not work with much but in my latest copy of your code ABS was allowed.

There was a major ABS class-action suit many years ago which involved 5-manufactures and a couple of billion dollars. The standards for making ABS stated you can only use virgin ABS materials to make pipe and fittings. Eventually that was relaxed to include virgin regrind. Meaning fittings or pipe which was improperly formed could be ground down and added to the virgin materials.

This seemed to work fairly well until a supplier of the regrind sold the manufacturer’s ABS regrind which included old rubber, computers, telephones, ECT for filler and told them it was virgin regrind. Because of the non ABS materials which was added to the pipe the pipe starting to fail shortly after installation. The MEK in the glue would separate the ABS materials from the non ABS materials and you would get a "glue-line" crack. This made a lot of plumbers switch to PVC and ABS took a big hit.

As for the glues you asked about I don't believe any of them are code approved.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

In California it is legal for residential construction of two stories or less. As of late it is legal in certain juristictions for commercial underground only.
                    the dog

Comment

as stated by mark and dog. abs is our plastic of use indoors on 2 stories or less. at 1 time in the early 80's we were able to do 3 stories plus loft with abs. we did have to use an expansion joint to allow for movement at the mid point.

i prefer to use pvc, sdr35 outdoors over abs. it tends to be truer and it videos much better in white or green, over black abs.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I checked found it is still legal in NJ, but as has been previously stated PVC is more popular now a days.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys for all your responses and Bob for the links. I would of thought the entire country used PVC, but I guess that's not the case. This site has tought me a ton in the short time I've been here... thanks guys!
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

For the US guys: (I think thats everyone but me and hondahead)
                            What are you paying for pvc (Sched 40) Vs. Abs in your neck of the woods? I'm curious because I prefer to use pvc, but its not practical to use in resi applications because of the price. Abs is about 2/3 the price, and wholesalers stock way more of it.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                              For the US guys: (I think thats everyone but me and hondahead)
                              What are you paying for pvc (Sched 40) Vs. Abs in your neck of the woods? I'm curious because I prefer to use pvc, but its not practical to use in resi applications because of the price. Abs is about 2/3 the price, and wholesalers stock way more of it.

can't compare because my suppliers only stock abs dwv. a couple of irrigation supply houses stock the pvc, sdr35 pipe i use for area drains.

i know that "barnett brass" a large supplier that has a catalog with both abs and pvc was less expensive on pvc. now this was a number of years ago that i last looked. i would think that you can look this up on line

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X