Over-Charged?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-Charged?

I don't want to make this a flat-rate debate because I feel that debate has been done to death. These prices could have also been charged by a T&M plumber who was dishonest.

My son just called me to tell me his friend hired a plumbing company to come in to install a new 50-gallon water heater, 4" center set lav faucet and fix a leak at an upstairs shower. This was for a nice 20+ year old home which he had purchased for his parents in Woodland Hills.

The plumber said the marble shower pan was bad and gave them a number to call a guy to replace the pan. The leak remained the same after the pan replacement. As it turned out the problem was the marble penetration for the stems were not sealed and the water was leaking behind the escutcheons and down into the substrate. My son packed the penetrations with plumbers putty and what do you know the leak stopped.

They did a fine job of replacing the water heater but what else would you expect for a $1,800 50-gallon water heater replacement?

The lav faucet cost $800 to replace but the bulk of the cost was the $500 the plumber charged for the Price Pfister 4" Savannah center set.

I'm sorry but I don't care how you spin it this company might as well have worn a mask. That faucet probably cost the plumbing company around $100 and the plumber made a $400 profit which he gets 3% ($12) on. This type of thing is what gives some flat-rate plumbers a bad name.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Over-Charged?

Was he not given the price before the work was started? One company cost and profit is different than the next. If he not happy with the price he should shop around first.

Comment

I somewhat have to agree with freddy on this one, IF he knew what the cost was going to be upfront, then he does not have a lot of room to compain about the price.

However, I do feel that he got a big one up the caboose.

Regards,

Comment

This is not about whether it was legal or not it is more a question of whether he was taken advantage of. Besides I'm not sure being told the price means much when it's a lay person who does not know plumbing costs from animal husbandry. If my son was not asked to come by and see why the shower was still leaking after a several thousand dollar pan replacement his buddy would have never known the difference.

Mark

Comment

As I said, I feel he took a big on up the caboose,

I do believe he was taken advantage of.

Regards,

Comment

mark, you already know how i feel

just because the homeowner is not up to date on prices, is no reason to rip them off.

didn't the plumber do a shower pan test?

did they get an inspection on the new pan? on the new heater?

i would seriously think about taking them to small claims court if the company doesn't make good on the pan.

i would also go to home depot and get a realistic retail price on the faucet and 2 flex connectors.

where did your sons friend get this plumber from? let me guess, the yellow pages

mark, have your son remove the putty from the marble wall. the oil from the putty will stain the marble. try expanding foam or caulking.

how about this one. my buddy who has a local plumbing shop in los angeles, just got news that his 72 year old mother in law who lives in colorado. just had a 40 gallon water heater replaced. was charged $2000. for the job.

problem was that she didn't call her daughter or son in law first for a realistic price. the company is willing to give them a $300. refund

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
              Was he not given the price before the work was started? One company cost and profit is different than the next. If he not happy with the price he should shop around first.

so basically, if the consumer is trusting the plumber, the plumber can take him for all it's worth.

when a homeowner has a leaking water heater or another emergency they typically don't have an opportunity to shop around.

i sure hope that this is not your way of doing business.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The price is right out of the plumbers Price book, no ones's taking advantage of the customer, they can say yes go ahead and do the job, or no thank you I want to shop around.

Comment

Rick,

The guy found the plumber in the yellow pages and the shower is cultured marble so the putty is fine.

I'm not sure of the particulars of the shower test other that the owner said he looked at the staining downstairs and said it was a bad pan. The owner said it did not look bad (cracked) but had it changed on the advise of the plumber.

The owner was not upset with the prices as he trusted the plumber so I don't believe he would take it to Small Claims Court.

Mark

Comment

And yet many of you guys say the problem with the industry is in the handyman, doing work. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

After getting burnt by one of the "Pros's" what to you expect, the problem with the Industry is GREED by some.

I do not think any one is in disagreement for paying a FAIR PRICE work well done, (and I think historically they are expecting a premium price on the work),
                    But when they are openly ripped off, there is a problem, and at times the work is substandard. (as stated by not finding and fixing the shower leak).
                    Just because it is legal does not make it right, and jsut because some one else is doing it does not make it right,

WHEN GREED is the major game in town, THAT is what is giving the plumbing Industry a BLACK EYE.

The thinking is:
                    IF I am going to get screwed, why pay thousands for it, if you can hire an Handyman off the street and probably will cost me a fraction of the cost of the pro.
                    That way it may only cost me in the hundreds instead thousands.

Believe it or not most can read price tags, on items in hardware stores.
                    and like the old saying goes "a few bad apples spoil the batch."
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      They did a fine job of replacing the water heater but what else would you expect for a $1,800 50-gallon water heater replacement?
                      $1,800 for a 50 gallon gas power vent is not outrageous but if it was an electric with a 6 year tank warranty that's just highway robbery.

And how can someone just look up at a stain on the drywall cieling and diagnose a shower pan leaking?

Mark...WTF is animal husbandry?

Cultured marble shower walls?...never seen that befor
                      Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-01-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

the simple definition of animal husbandry, is the aspect of farming/ranching with the raising of animals, in an agriculture setting.
                        http://www.answers.com/topic/animal-husbandry
                        animal husbandry
                        n.
                        The branch of agriculture concerned with the care and breeding of domestic animals such as cattle, hogs, sheep, and horses.

animal husbandry

Controlled cultivation, management, and production of domestic animals, including improvement of the qualities considered desirable by humans by means of breeding. Animals are bred and raised for utility (e.g., food, fur), sport, pleasure, and research.
                        Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          $1,800 for a 50 gallon gas power vent is not outrageous but if it was an electric with a 6 year tank warranty that's just highway robbery.

The water heater was a standard 6-year 50-gallon gas A.O. Smith.

And how can someone just look up at a stain on the drywall cieling and diagnose a shower pan leaking?

They can't

Mark...WTF is animal husbandry?

LOL-You must be a City boy. It has to do with breeding and raising livestock.

Cultured marble shower walls?...never seen that befor
                          It is a mixture of resins and plaster. If there is a lot of resin it is considered cultured Onyx. If there is a little resin in is cultured marble.

Comment

Was there any vasiline used during this procedure?

Was the heater instaled to code?

This is the kind of stuff that gets me angry because it effects all of us in the long run.

Always check the face plate, escutheon's, caulk, etc. first. Most leaks I go to are because of the small things.

Work harder and care more so some handy clown can give you a bad name, or even a licensed plumber!

Poeple are usually willing to pay a high price for something they want not something they need. But they will pay for quality work.

And there are people who dont know any better who get taken from a smooth talking salesman who is not a plumber, maybe a bob villa type who uses scare tactics to sell a product or additional work.

$2600.00 for that is just nuts. I understand the prices are probably almost double there compared to where I am but wow. I just did a small repipe for less than that. Here we are not the cheap guy, and dont want to cut the corners to be the cheap guy. But we are also not the most expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              It is a mixture of resins and plaster. If there is a lot of resin it is considered cultured Onyx. If there is a little resin in is cultured marble.
                              What other things were done to the water heater? was it a straight change out? in and out, 2 water flex and a heater? did it have code violations? watts 210 installed? water heater inside? 2 man installation?? smitty pan?? expansion tank? drip leg on the gas? new B vent?? new shed? all things to take into consideration. everyone is aware water heaters are going up another $150.00 in cost because of the new regs on lo-nox, supposedly this water heater will hook up to a phone line so it can be diagnosed county of los angeles is the only place in the country requiring them...feed back??? if the plumbers keep getting raped by the city, county, state, material cost, outrageous insurance {because of so many jacka## lawsuits}, our labor needs to take it in the shorts??
                              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 06-01-2007, 10:07 PM.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X