X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrench

What do you call the wrench used on opening a cap in a tube ? In this case the cap is covering a Palmer back flow valve. I would think it would be T shaped on top and bottom to catch the two knobs sticking up on the cap. Thanks

Re: Wrench

I'm alil confused on how you explained it.

Some of the wrenches us plumbers use are....

Crescent Wrenches
    Pipe Wrenches
    Channel Locks

Try googling them and clicking images to see what they look like.

A picture of the nut you are trying to remove would also help.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

There are many things you can use, depending on how deep in the ground it is. A large basin wrench can work, or sometimes a meter key. I have a few tools on my truck I had made up for getting at hard to reach valves.

Comment

I forgot to say the cap is screwed on so it has to turn off. It isn't a basin wrench or meter key and I did try to google it but no luck so far.

Comment

Wizzy,

Are you asking about a vandal-proof cap made by the manufacturer?

If you are you can get them from the manufacturer or build one yourself. A lot of backflow work is about building your own tools and screw jacks.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Now that I re-read it I understand it alil better.

Is this water your looking for?

http://plumbing.gillroys.com/Water_M...Y-s402206.html

If not, try searching for water meter keys and theres a few different styles that might suit you better.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Just what is a Palmer backflow?

Comment

Mr. plumbercrack a Palmer valve is just a name for a check valve used to keep a main sewer line from backing up into a home or building. I find them in the newer homes with basements. Just where the 4" sewer line enters into the basement there will be a Palmer valve and to reach it from the basement floor there it a tube that extends down about 18" to the sewer line and that is where you will find the valve. Of course above the valve there has to be a cover to keep any back flow from reaching the basement floor. The cover has two knobs on top so if you had a T shaped wrench to put between the knobs and a T on top to turn the cap it would screw off. I just thought there might be such a wrench already but yes it would be easy enough to make one.

Comment

Wizzy,

That's a "Backwater Valve" not a Backflow Valve". I know the sound the same but there is a major difference.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i had a similar situation with a 3'' abs backwater valve. the top was round and had 4 little tabs made of abs to allow for removal. this being underground too.

well a piece of 3'' abs with a 1/2 coupling glued on.this allowed for an extra thick wall and fit like a glove. i then cut 4 grooves into the end of the tool to accept the tabs. drilled a hole through the above ground end to accept a 1.25'' copper handle. and voilĂ* worked like a charm.

i still have this tool and it only works on this size and brand of abs backwater valves.

like mark said, sometimes you have to make the tools that work for your application.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks ToUtahnow for the correct term "backwater valve". The tool Rick made would be close to what I would need and seeing there is no such tool I will be making my own. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

OOOHHHH for backwater valves a 2x4 works perfect on all the ones I come across. Fits right down inside the slots but yours may have a different top.

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
                          What do you call the wrench used on opening a cap in a tube ? In this case the cap is covering a Palmer back flow valve. I would think it would be T shaped on top and bottom to catch the two knobs sticking up on the cap. Thanks

Good luck, I haven't yet found a good way because of the size and because of the pit they are usually in, I go to the supply house, if I can find another lid, then great, if I cannot, I will explain to the customer and give them the price to install a telescoping backwater valve, which had a 6" diameter fip and r/h plug. put it in a pretty yard box and there you go. easy to find to .
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Plumberscrack it's funny you mention the 2x4 because it would have worked but was just a little short to catch the knobs. But after I made a hole in the plastic cap I could fit the 2x4 inside the hole and screw off the cap. Sure enough the valve had broken off and was causing a backup.

Comment

Working...
                            X