Plumbing certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing certification

In HVAC we have a NATE certification which is universally accepted in the industry as the benchmark certification. It is above being a "Master" tech. Does the plumbing industry have any type of certification like this?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Plumbing certification

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    In HVAC we have a NATE certification which is universally accepted in the industry as the benchmark certification. It is above being a "Master" tech. Does the plumbing industry have any type of certification like this?
    Probably journeyman plumber
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Guess I wasn't clear but what I'm looking for is a more stringent standard that would set a higher standard that is reconized by the industry. A master plumber can have other plumbers work under his liscence. A NATE certificate is only good for that individual but is reconized by the entire industry. The HVAC industry started I think around 3 yrs ago and it has increased the level of workmanship in the field. It would be good if PHCC or IAMPO had something like this.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Guess I wasn't clear but what I'm looking for is a more stringent standard that would set a higher standard that is reconized by the industry. A master plumber can have other plumbers work under his liscence. A NATE certificate is only good for that individual but is reconized by the entire industry. The HVAC industry started I think around 3 yrs ago and it has increased the level of workmanship in the field. It would be good if PHCC or IAMPO had something like this.
        c-36, contractors license, I can't think of anything else related to plumbing
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

A Contractors licenses means you passed the test but does not really show you can do much more than that. I would say a 4-year hands on training program with the Union or PHCC is a much better marker of knowledge. You could also take the Plumbing test for IAMPO and/or IPC to be certified as an Inspector but those are as easy as the Contractors Exams.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

years ago, 1990's there was the "p i p e" exam. as i remember it was a lot tougher to pass, but was never required. too bad.

unfortunately if the local inspectors don't enforce the codes and laws pertaining to licensed plumbers, we will never get rid of all the unlicensed "techs".

of the 15 years i did new construction plumbing, only once was i asked to show my city license. the real commercial plumbing inspectors know right from wrong the residential combination inspectors here in los angeles are clueless

if they ever knew right from wrong and enforced it, then maybe half of the riff-raff will disappear

nothing new, just repeating it until someone here listens.

i once did talk to the chief building inspector for the city of l.a. on a local radio show. of course it was cut short and said his office would contact me off air at a later date. 6 weeks later i heard from his assistant.

basically, it's the homeowners fault for hiring the unqualified contractor/ plumber. not the fault of the city or inspector for not enforcing the codes while on the job site

with answers like that, why even bother with inspectors

i wish we would have an enforcement task force. i guess we'll have to wait till the next earthquake and have the state contractors board do surprise inspections.

rick.

that's the short of it
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys, those were the answers I was expecting but didn't want to hear. Until we raise our standards in our industry, we won't get plumbing reconized as a "professional" trade.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I live in a town of about 45,000 and the city inspector is my best friend, I guess he is because he`s always around the corner making sure I`m not doing something I shouldn't be doing He`s not a bad guy but he pisses me off some times. I know he`s just doing his job but I don't need a baby sitter I tell em I feel safe knowing he`s always looking out for me I`m a member of the ICC and I have a master plumber that works with me but he still keeps an evil eye on me to make sure "I`m" not doing the work .Rick, I guess out where you live you guy`s need inspectors like we have.

Well, off to dig up a sewer and see if my buddy can find me in a back yard
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 06-04-2007, 12:48 PM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  unfortunately if the local inspectors don't enforce the codes and laws pertaining to licensed plumbers, we will never get rid of all the unlicensed "techs".

if they ever knew right from wrong and enforced it, then maybe half of the riff-raff will disappear

nothing new, just repeating it until someone here listens.

i wish we would have an enforcement task force. i guess we'll have to wait till the next earthquake and have the state contractors board do surprise inspections.

rick.

that's the short of it
                  Rick, I'm with you 100% on this one bro but where would the money come from to setup, train and manage this task force? Are you willing to pay for higher taxes or permit fees to pay for it?

Like All Clear says "I don't need a baby sitter"

I agree enforcement is very lax here as well. but a bigger Big Brother isn't the answer IMO.

~Bill

Comment

for the cost of a permit, the inspector should do his job.

there is no reason why i have to inspect clients home during a remodel or new construction.

remember this is residential 2 units and less, i'm referring to in the city of los angeles.

just looked at a major remodel (3400')in culver city this afternoon. the inspector threw the book at the owners son. he's an electrician by trade and trying to do the plumbing for his dads house. well i helped him today for 2 hours and tried to explain the code. biggest issue was flat vents and combies used instead of san tees. also lack of clean outs.

copper is way over sized. better install a circ. pump. inspector made him remove a fitting to show reaming.

gas piping he had used bushings.

too bad he waited till after inspection before calling for help.

lots of lost fittings and labor.

this inspector knew his job and trade

too bad he's not in los angeles.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I attend the annual ICC EDU-CODE class each year so I spend a week in a room full of Plumbing and Mechanical Inspectors going over both the Uniform and the International Codes. I am always surprised at how little some of the Inspectors know when you get beyond the basics.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                      X