Fine thread Hose Bibb???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine thread Hose Bibb???

I think you may be right based on the no-kink design. I'm pretty certain it is just an IPS but if I don't add the disclaimer I will catch heck.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I think you may be right based on the no-kink design. I'm pretty certain it is just an IPS but if I don't add the disclaimer I will catch heck.

Mark
      at least it's heck for you, i wouldn't hear the end of this if i told him it was simple and fool proof to unscrew from a brick wall.

i would catch s**t

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, that's your vacuum breaker but I don't understand our problem now, is it finding a new vacuum breaker?
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          Yes, that's your vacuum breaker but I don't understand our problem now, is it finding a new vacuum breaker?
          He damaged is vacuum breaker while trying to replace it. Becuae it is an Arrowhead brand it is not a standard vacuum breaker. Now his option are to either buy a new sill cock and strip the vacuum breaked off or replace the entire sill cock with the new one.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-06-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

When you replace it I would suggest using some pipe Dope on the threads of the pipe before you put the new one on, other wise you many end up with a small leak in the wall,
            The reason I did not suggest tape is It may be hard to put Teflon tape on the pipe in the wall. if you can get to it the tape will work also.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

So I chiseled away the mortar to see what I was working with today. I can see threads in between the sill and brick. I tried to turn it (gently) but the pipe is just twisting with it. To me it just looks like a copper pipe w/ threads. I dont even know if they make anything like that. So is this piece of pipe supposed to come out with it? What do I need to do if I cant get it to turn at the sill without that pipe moving with it?

Comment

Is this a frost-proof hydrant? Can you see what it looks like from the inside of the wall like from the basement or crawl space? You say threaded copper pipe I am thinking this might be brass (looks like copper as it is very close in color) pipe and part of a frost-proof wall hydrant as opposed to a hose bibb. There is probably some confusion here in terminology. Some areas of the country will refer to what I call a frost-proof hydrant as a hose bibb. To me a hose bibb is an angled globe valve with a hose thread on the spout and a flanged 3/4 or 1/2" FM pipe connection on the back.

I don't know whose web page this is but I just happened upon it first thing when I went searching just now. It just happens to show a hose bibb (first photo) and a hydrant (second photo).
                http://home.flash.net/~carlton2/construc.htm

Notice the brass pipe used in the hydrant? Is this what you are saying is turning (or looks like it will turn) when you try to remove the valve?
                Last edited by Bob D.; 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I believe it is a arrowhead sillcock from the pictures online and guys in this post telling me. The pipe Im talking about is the one right behind the flange. I have posted a pic earlier in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRado03 View Post
                    I believe it is a arrowhead sillcock from the pictures online and guys in this post telling me. The pipe Im talking about is the one right behind the flange. I have posted a pic earlier in the post.
                    It sounds like there might be a brass nipple attaching the sill cock to the piping in the wall. It would not be uncommon for the nipple to unscrew instead of the sill cock. If the plumber installed the pipes in the wall correctly the nipple should be able to be removed with the sill cock without the pipes in the wall moving.

Once you get the nipple with sill cock removed as a single piece you can unscrew the nipple from the sill cock and re use it with the new sill cock.

Mark

Disclaimer: If it is not really a nipple but a CXMIP adapter you might have to open the wall to make the repair.

Comment

Working...
                    X