Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid quality

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Just completed a Ridgid survey on slogans and it got me thinking. Do you guys think that Ridgid's quality of their tools went down after they started being sold at Home Depot?
    no i dont think so..

Comment

ToUtahNow That rep wont get any of my money after the BS he was giving me. I was gonna buy a K-60 from em but I think I`ll get it from tool-up He told me he didnt even have a k-60 to show me then gave me all the BS about if I buy from some one else...lol
      Not a good way to get in my pocket
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        ToUtahNow That rep wont get any of my money after the BS he was giving me. I was gonna buy a K-60 from em but I think I`ll get it from tool-up He told me he didnt even have a k-60 to show me then gave me all the BS about if I buy from some one else...lol
        Not a good way to get in my pocket
        The guys are ToolUp are good guys whether you are at the counter or order by phone. Often I just order online even if I am going to be in the area because they ship so fast and it saves me a little time. Besides right now they have a 10% off Ridgid promotion so you save a few bucks.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

In addition to plumbing supply warehouses, Ridgid hand tools (pipe wrenches, cutters, pliers,) have been available to professional tradesman and DIY'ers for years through places like Ace Hardware, Hugh M Woods, and other select hardware stores. I bought my two pipe wrenches and pipe/tube cutters at an Ace Hardware store years ago. This was long before Home Depot even grew out of infancy to become the big box store they are now. Contrary to what some believe, Ridgid is not a home depot house brand. I hope it never becomes one either. In fact I wish Lowes would start to carry Ridgid hand tools.

Comment

In my opinion, Ridgid still makes the best plumbing hand tools (Rick will disagree with me on basin wrenches, but that's one of the eternal debates), but their cordless and woodworking tools suck. I can't speak for their locating drain cleaning equipment.
            the dog

Comment

i'm with the dog on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                In my opinion, Ridgid still makes the best plumbing hand tools (Rick will disagree with me on basin wrenches, but that's one of the eternal debates), but their cordless and woodworking tools suck. I can't speak for their locating drain cleaning equipment.
                Thats similar to my thoughts.
                I see Ridgid shop vac's, Ridgid sumps & sewage ejectors, Ridgid chopsaws, cordless tools...etc.
                Ridgid has attempted to crack a broader market, which is fine except that I personally think they aren't using the same determination with these new endeavors that they used with their original plumbing tools.
                Bar none there is NO tubing cutter batter than Ridgid (unless you're looking to randomly thread your copper), NO pipe wrenches that are better, NO soil pipe cutters, NO threaders either.
                I confess to using their pumps recently...ONLY because they offer a lifetime warranty.
                I hope they read these threads, plumbers in particular have come to trust Ridgids tools over the years, their name is practically synonymous with plumbing, I hope they can keep it that way in a pool of companies that have repeatedly been found to cut corners in the name of profit.

Comment

No love for the k-3800? We just bought another one. I think it's a better machine than the spartan 100. It's seems a little lighter and the motor is more powerfull. It's more awkward to carry up a ladder though, and Ridgid, would you please just bend up the two cord holders so I don't have to?

Comment

I've compared my relatively newer 14 inch and 10 inch Ridgid pipe wrenches with those same sized Ridgid pipe wrenches that my uncle has used in his lawn sprinkler business since the 1960's. Comparing my wrenches to his, I see no difference in feel or function. The only difference I see is the raised brand name "RIDGID" is actually a differnt text style, more elongated horizontally than the "RIDGID" brand name on my wrenches. The other difference is that his 14 inch wrench has a very apparent crack underneath the bottom jaw in the housing. Also of course his wrenches have a good amount of surface oxydation and lots of surface wear and tear. I told him due to that crack forming that Ridgid will replace that wrench for him under warranty. His reply "why bother, that wrench still works as good now (even with the crack) as it did the day he bought it"!!! I think he bought those two wrenches back in the late 1950's, before he even got into the sprinkler business.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tieger plumbing;90248]
                      Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                      Very interesting thread. I'd like to add a few thoughts.

I think quality would be a dangerous element to use as a tool to differentiate between retail and supply house distribution. We make a lot of pipe wrenches every year and I can assure you they all come from the same place. While we are quite proud of the way the product line has evolved, to include technology-based products like pressing and locating, the company still takes a lot of stock in the products that started it all, such as threading machines and the pipe wrench. To hear that gear junkie thought a competitor's product better made is tough to swallow. I'd be curious to know the details there.

IMHO

I happen to agree that Rigid has taken a hit as far as great quality has gone.
                      2 of my 4 Jetter are Rigid and only because they paid for themselves the very first day I used them, that was the selling point.

The new H 30 cart is NOT as heavy duty as my older one

The Rigid auto spin should NEVER have been put on the market with the Rigid name

The only reason I bought two Auto spin is I work in many buildings over 130 years old and the lead piping is under marble floors so the flexibility and the lack of torque of these toy machines is good for 11/4 and 11/2 " lines for hair and nothing else.

Because I charge over $100+ more then these machines cost I figured it is a throw away tool after 4 uses BUT so far I managed to use it TWICE and it failed and has been back for repairs because the first time nothing was done and one so called Rigid authorized repair place in Hunts point section of the Bronx told me they no longer wish to deal with Rigid repairs under warrantee

This toy does NOT feed properly forward or reverse and it just stops working when under any type of tension.

The K 38 cant even come close to the General Super V hand held as far as long lasting quality or longevity

The K -375 I only use under duress as the cable can shoot out of the drum and twist up unless you really know how to use a drain cleaner without the automatic feed feature and no one can give me a straight answer if I can put an automatic feeder on the model I have.

The General mini rooter XP using 3/8" or 1/2" cables puts the K-375 to shame and can really get through some really tough stoppages which it is not designed to do.

The Mustang Jetter pulsating action does a better job then the KJ 1350 BUT the rigid is a lot easier to maintain.

The KJ 2200 is a great machine for the price and also pays for itself with in one day a of use.

The Rigid 750 is a good machine BUT does not have the versatility of the General super 90 (we wont even compare the Rigid /Kollman to Spartan)

My 700 and the 300's so far have given me over 30 years of amazing service and threading 6" pipe with the 700 in an easy one man job a lot safer then the universal we used to use.

As far as receipting saws (Sawzall) Milwaukee rules with Lenox blades

Wet Dry Vacuums SEARS puts out an amazing 5.0 HP for $99 with more then enough attachments and the 21/2" hose removes rocks from main sewers with out any problems and is also great for other stoppages like basin and sinks and floor drains where mud is encountered.

The mandatory (OSHA) foot pedal for the 300 is GREAT if your shoe size is 5 A work boot or size 11 boot will not fit in this mouse trap .

Respectfully, Sylvan Tieger,LMP.
                      I don't understand your post. I see you list your occupation as L........, what does that mean?

You seem to indicate that "we make a lot of pipe wrenches..." are you saying you work for a manufacturer? Or, is this a grammatical error in which you are referring to a quote by Ridgid? Please clarify.
                      the dog

Comment

Dog.. I think Tiegers quote is actually a requote of 2 other posts. So part of his thread was a post from ProBrand... then the remaining is his opinion. It just didnt dispaly the right way for a quote.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          Dog.. I think Tiegers quote is actually a requote of 2 other posts. So part of his thread was a post from ProBrand... then the remaining is his opinion. It just didnt dispaly the right way for a quote.

Josh
                          Well, that's why I asked Josh. It was a little confusing on his point. I'm sure he will clarify his point when he has time.

Good to here from you Josh.
                          the dog

Comment

Dog, I believe LMP/LMFSPC is Licensed Master Plumber/Licensed Master Fire Supression Piping Contractor.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              Dog, I believe LMP/LMFSPC is Licensed Master Plumber/Licensed Master Fire Supression Piping Contractor.
                              Bob,

That makes sense. I thought maybe it was some kind of military classification for plumbing. I'm not used to the term "master plumber", out here we only have licensed journeymen (through the Union, county, or City of Los Angeles), and licensed contractors.
                              the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

At last something plumbdog and i can agree on about ridgid tools,
                                my wife got tired of useing my old basin wrench, so i brought her very own new one, one year for her b-day,

jerrymac masterplumber

JERRYMAC
                                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                                X