X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid quality

Just completed a Ridgid survey on slogans and it got me thinking. Do you guys think that Ridgid's quality of their tools went down after they started being sold at Home Depot?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Ridgid quality

well since i know ridgid as professional plumbing tools, i would say that i can separate the real ridgid name from the import home line of tools.

a real trades person who purchases the homeowner line of tools/ drain cleaning equipment will be let down by the homeowner line, but should know that the pro line is the pro line.

homedepot just exposed the ridgid name to the general public. they might know any better, but a pro will.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would have to say "YES"
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        I would have to say "YES"
        but quality issues are universal. make it cheaper and increase the profit magin. maybe the poor schmuck that bought the 1st one will replace it with the next one, from the same company.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I have often heard Items sold at HD are made with cheaper parts so their prices can be lowered.IE: brand name nail gun at HD uses some internal plastic parts. $50 cheaper then other place but you will know the difference the first time you drop it.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            I have often heard Items sold at HD are made with cheaper parts so their prices can be lowered.IE: brand name nail gun at HD uses some internal plastic parts. $50 cheaper then other place but you will know the difference the first time you drop it.
            Just wondering where and how often you have heard this? I'm not saying it isn't so, just that maybe it isn't.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I know some of the plumbing fixtures will have the same name but different parts number than the ones I buy at wholesale houses. They are very similar in looks but may have a slightly different material for the handles and such.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just to make sure I understand; a Ridgid pipe wrench or other tool bought at HD is different than one I would buy at a supply house? That seems to be the general thought. I saw a brasscraft pipe wrench and it looked better made than the ridgid. How sad the mighty have fallen.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I'd like to add a few thoughts.

I think quality would be a dangerous element to use as a tool to differentiate between retail and supply house distribution. We make a lot of pipe wrenches every year and I can assure you they all come from the same place. While we are quite proud of the way the product line has evolved, to include technology-based products like pressing and locating, the company still takes a lot of stock in the products that started it all, such as threading machines and the pipe wrench. To hear that gear junkie thought a competitor's product better made is tough to swallow. I'd be curious to know the details there.

Plumber Rick, I very much enjoy reading your posts as I haven't seen a question you couldn't answer about any RIDGID product. It is interesting to see you still say one is the "real" RIDGID. Same name on everything, which is why we are very vigilant about the product testing and selection. Of course, we can always do better. Maybe we'll get the chance to talk about it on a golf course some day. Take care of Josh, he's a good kid.

As always, thanks to everyone for their comments and support.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                    Very interesting thread. I'd like to add a few thoughts.

I think quality would be a dangerous element to use as a tool to differentiate between retail and supply house distribution. We make a lot of pipe wrenches every year and I can assure you they all come from the same place. While we are quite proud of the way the product line has evolved, to include technology-based products like pressing and locating, the company still takes a lot of stock in the products that started it all, such as threading machines and the pipe wrench. To hear that gear junkie thought a competitor's product better made is tough to swallow. I'd be curious to know the details there.

Plumber Rick, I very much enjoy reading your posts as I haven't seen a question you couldn't answer about any RIDGID product. It is interesting to see you still say one is the "real" RIDGID. Same name on everything, which is why we are very vigilant about the product testing and selection. Of course, we can always do better. Maybe we'll get the chance to talk about it on a golf course some day. Take care of Josh, he's a good kid.

As always, thanks to everyone for their comments and support.
                    You and gear junkie might be mixing two issues here. The parts which are different at the wholesale house and Home Depot are faucets and such which are made by manufacturers other than Ridgid. The tools which Rick is differentiating between are the traditional industrial quality plumbing tools we have used forever and the new line of power tools which Ridgid sells through Home Depot.

While I have not used a lot of the new Ridgid power tools they do not appear to be the same quality of tools which I have been purchasing and using over the last 35 + years. Respectfully, I also feel tools like your closet augers, hand snakes and AutoSpin (Rick would add the K-40) are below the standards I would expect from Ridgid.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-07-2007, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Could it be that there's an evil based tool company making counterfeit RIDGID pipe wrenches and taking advantage of the liberal return policy of Home Depot?

Example: Evil buyer goes to HD and buys a few RIDGID brand pipe wrenches. He/she come back in a few days and returns most of them in new condition, but they are actually counterfeit junkers. They look brand new so the people at Home Depot return them to stock. A few days later in comes a serious plumber and buys one or two of them thinking he/she is getting a real thing RIDGID but ends up with the junker. Soon the word gets out that there is a quality problem. The Ridge Tool Co. catches hell for products that they didn't actually make. This has happened to other fine US and German tool companies over the years. Maybe this is the problem.

Is this quality issue with the common hand tools for plumbing, or is this for newer items sold only at The Home Depot? Are we talking the exact came catalog numbers as the tools at a good plumbing supply house. industrial supplier or tool dealership?

Comment

I just read through a Thread about problems with warranty repairs through Ridgid. The Thread seems to highlight some of what has been mentioned in this Thread. I can't remember ever having warranty issues with my Ridgid tools like people are complaining about with the new line of tools. I recently had a problem with a SeeSnake monitor and even with shipping both ways it may have taken a week and a half to get it back.

Mark

Comment

I"ve got to agree on the closet auger , they don't hold up. I have many specialty tools and hand tools from Ridgid but I don"t have any power tools yet. I had not had the exposure to them but I notice H.D. has started to push the Ridgid line a lot more. I'll try one the next power tool I get if the Forum thinks it's a equitable deal .[value for cost] .H.D. faucets are definetely built differently , and don't get me started on Glacier Bay

Comment

One of the things I find to be kinda funny is: as we know the cables for the K-7500 have gone down in quality. But they warranty em with out a problem so far.
                            Well to make a long story short I called Duracable to get my new 100` innercore cable and I asked em if they made any cables for Ridgid and they said "NO". I had a Ridgid rep call me 2 weeks a go and he told me they get their cables from Duracable....hummmmmmmm WTF

Then he told me that anything I buy off tool-up he would not warranty. I said "WHAT, Ridgid wont warranty their tools?" Then I pined him down and he then told me that Ridgid would but he wouldn't.
                            kinda funny the BS you get from different people
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              One of the things I find to be kinda funny is: as we know the cables for the K-7500 have gone down in quality. But they warranty em with out a problem so far.
                              Well to make a long story short I called Duracable to get my new 100` innercore cable and I asked em if they made any cables for Ridgid and they said "NO". I had a Ridgid rep call me 2 weeks a go and he told me they get their cables from Duracable....hummmmmmmm WTF

Then he told me that anything I buy off tool-up he would not warranty. I said "WHAT, Ridgid wont warranty their tools?" Then I pined him down and he then told me that Ridgid would but he wouldn't.
                              kinda funny the BS you get from different people
                              J.M.McKinney has no problem servicing the tools I buy from ToolUp.com

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X