c-36 experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: c-36 experience

West coast, Also if you do not have it yet get your tax ID number from the board of equalization as you will need it to purchase from wholesalers. You may need to wait for your contractors number to be issued , its bean a while so I cant remember.
    Last edited by Crappy days; 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
      West coast, Also if you do not have it yet get your tax ID number from the board of equalization as you will need it to purchase from wholesalers. You may need to wait for your contractors number to be issued , its bean a while so I cant remember.

Yeah, takes 4-6 weeks for my license number, not a big deal, just greatful to have it!! My bookeeper is setting the tax id # and Federal EIN #. Thanks Crappy for the info
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        I have nothing useful to add; only that this is a great topic to be discussing. Just like westcoast said; we know plumbing, it's the other stuff that hurts the business. Maybe this topic should get its own forum?

I was not sure if this fit the forum, I am glad you made this point. Thanks Gear Junkie
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

westcoastplumber,
          check out thefatplumber.com. It's a site for pro plumbers and has a lot of flat rate guys. I am not one yet, but thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            westcoastplumber,
            check out thefatplumber.com. It's a site for pro plumbers and has a lot of flat rate guys. I am not one yet, but thinking.
            tried thefatplumber.com, unable to pull anything up??????
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Westcoast,

When I first started plumbing in the early 70’s I was leaving HVAC and was hired to run the Plumbing and HVAC division of a large Construction Company. This Company specialized in fire-restoration, apartment/condo projects and celebrity homes. We did not do any service work or regular new construction but the owner would ask me to take care of his friends on my own after hours.

At some point the boss decided it would be a good idea if all of the division heads had our own Contractor Licenses so he did not have to pay taxes and Worker’s Comp on us. I had already started the process of getting my C-36 so it was just a matter of time until I got a test date. I had also met the owner of a Property Management Company with 8,000 units who used me for all of his trouble calls and offered me more when I was ready.

As it turned out I was the only one to get my License and the first bill I gave to my former employer was my last. I guess he never figured I was going to add my business costs to my hourly rate (go figure). I did not want to do the fire-reconstruction has it involved too many kick-backs. I did one condo project but that was when the new wave of cheap labor had just moved in and there was no money to make in production work. My real passion was for the big million dollar ten and twelve bath homes but what do you do between projects?

What I decided to do was work the big celebrity homes when there was work and do service and repair work when there wasn’t. The great part about service and repair is I could always rely on it to keep us busy between the big custom homes. That worked out pretty well until the number of plumbers started increasing in our valley.

Because electronic leak detection was just taking off we became the only shop to do locating and a lot of the plumbers called us to locate for them. It was pretty much the same thing with sewer cameras and locating. Before long we were the only shop which was Certified in Backflow Testing so the other plumbers referred all their Backflow work to us. When other plumbers started testing Backflows I ended up the only shop to work on assemblies over 4” in size.

My point is my passion was always in doing the big million dollar homes but they could not pay the bills and keep my guys busy so I improvised. As we got more competition in service and repair work I looked for a niche that no one else was doing and got real good at it. To this day I try to keep up on the latest and the greatest and always keep my options open. You need to try and keep your business where you can move with the trends and keep your options open. The work that pays your bills today may not 10-years from now.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry, try this. www.FatPlumbers.com.

Comment

117 users and 218 post?

i wouldn't necessarily consider this a hot forum

i'll stick with ridgid

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    117 users and 218 post?

i wouldn't necessarily consider this a hot forum

i'll stick with ridgid

rick.

Yeah, I agree Rick, Bogart was just saying that fatplumber.com was flat rate plumbers mostly
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                    X