Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c-36 experience

Hey guys,

I'm Robert's wife.He had his c-36 test this am.He just called me and told me he passed law and the trade.He will tell you how it was when he gets home.Rick and all other who gave him advice for his first original post about c-36 thank you.He absorbs all the tips and knowledge that is offered/given to him
    thanks one more time
    sigpic

Robert

Re: c-36 experience

Congratulation Robert and welcome to our secret society.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Congratulation on your testing!
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Good for you . Congratulations
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Congratulations , I know it's a load off your mind

Comment

Good job bro.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Thanks again guy's Now, the test was the easy part, the hard part is to start and run a successful business Glad the test part is over, I hate testing, I was shaking the whole way through This afternoon I went to my insurance company to get some quotes on my insurance, and then to my accountant afterwards, question rick, mark and crappy days, all the taxes and workers comp stuff, did you understand it all right away?? I understand a large part of it, but still am worried I will do something wrong!! Don't want Uncle Sam knocking on my door with the repo truck..............hahahaha any good books or advice from the pro's?? I can be a great tradesman, but if business is my weak point, I will never succeed.
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 06-07-2007, 09:46 PM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert,

The day (27 years ago) I got the letter saying I had passed my test I owned two plumbing trucks full of tools & materials and I had $10,000 in the bank. The next day after I paid all of my fees and got some insurance I was wondering if I would have groceries for my family for the next week. You seem like a smart guy and I am sure you will make it if you understand and control your costs.

It is very astute of you realizing being a good tradesman does not always equate to being a good businessman. There are a lot of owners who are great business men and lousy tradesman as there are great plumbers who are lousy businessman.

Try to make some association with other owners through groups like PHCC and put together a 5-year plan before you do anything. Many times a new owner will make more money than they have ever seen before and not put any away for the long haul. Your business plan needs to include the bad times as well as the good times.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Robert,

The day (27 years ago) I got the letter saying I had passed my test I owned two plumbing trucks full of tools & materials and I had $10,000 in the bank. The next day after I paid all of my fees and got some insurance I was wondering if I would have groceries for my family for the next week. You seem like a smart guy and I am sure you will make it if you understand and control your costs.

It is very astute of you realizing being a good tradesman does not always equate to being a good businessman. There are a lot of owners who are great business men and lousy tradesman as there are great plumbers who are lousy businessman.

Try to make some association with other owners through groups like PHCC and put together a 5-year plan before you do anything. Many times a new owner will make more money than they have ever seen before and not put any away for the long haul. Your business plan needs to include the bad times as well as the good times.

Mark
                  Thank You Mark, for the advice and your story. I have started on a business plan, it is a work in process, but I understand that when completed, it will keep me on track to reach my goal. The plumbing business is feast or famine, you are very right when you point out cost control. Thanks again for the info, I look forward to exchanging thoughts for a very long time to come
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Congradulations Robert,I wish you well on a very common venture us tradesmen take.
                    As I am sure you and the others know not everyone has a good time with running their own buisiness.

It appears to me to this point that you do care about integrety(sp),this quality is getting harder to find in companies.

I would like to see you succeed and enjoy the rewards of your efforts.

Don't let mold get you,C.Y.A.
                    OOPS,I mean "Organic Growth"

ADAM

Comment

robert, now that you are legal you can join us for golf and be able to write off the green fees and lunch

not sure if josh will be in town too soon, but i'm sure adam and i and hopefully mark can get a chance to play with you

i think the saying is more big deals are signed on a golf course than anywhere else

you have nothing to worry about. if you can play mini golf, you can hang with us josh plays big boy golf

i would be curious if the crash study course was a big help?

shop around for insurance and ask questions. a policy can be difficult to interpret and the policy might not cover the operations you plan on doing. especially if it's condo association work.

please track us down if you make the show. josh knows how to find us.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Congratulations again , I would ask some of the other plumbers in your area who you respect what insurance firms they are using. Set up a business account as soon as you can. Take a course for Quick books or what ever accounting software you will be using. Admit to yourself right away where your strong and where you are weak I do not care for paper work. I found a local independent book keeper to handle and train me in how to keep proper books. If you have a good accountant he should be able to help you with how much to put aside for uncle sam. My first year I did not pay quarterlies, I saved about 20 percent off the top for taxes. Depending on your right offs this will very. The most important thing, in your first year is to just get out of bed each day and work a full day even if you do not have jobs. Talk with people, find accounts, just do something at least five days a week pertaining to your business. If you do this you will be fine.
                        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          robert, now that you are legal you can join us for golf and be able to write off the green fees and lunch

not sure if josh will be in town too soon, but i'm sure adam and i and hopefully mark can get a chance to play with you

i think the saying is more big deals are signed on a golf course than anywhere else

you have nothing to worry about. if you can play mini golf, you can hang with us josh plays big boy golf

i would be curious if the crash study course was a big help?

shop around for insurance and ask questions. a policy can be difficult to interpret and the policy might not cover the operations you plan on doing. especially if it's condo association work.

please track us down if you make the show. josh knows how to find us.

rick.
                          hmmmmm, me and golf, never played before this should be interesting I will be at the show tomarrow in long beach..........I will email josh tonight. Thanks for making me feel like part of the team. Crash course......it was ok, it mentally prepared me, but none of the questions matched well, maybe 3 at the most! It's ok, I studied alot, both law and trade, crash course helped me become mentally aware of the questions the state will ask. I hope to meet up with you all.....Thanks Again......Robert
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                            Congratulations again , I would ask some of the other plumbers in your area who you respect what insurance firms they are using. Set up a business account as soon as you can. Take a course for Quick books or what ever accounting software you will be using. Admit to yourself right away where your strong and where you are weak I do not care for paper work. I found a local independent book keeper to handle and train me in how to keep proper books. If you have a good accountant he should be able to help you with how much to put aside for uncle sam. My first year I did not pay quarterlies, I saved about 20 percent off the top for taxes. Depending on your right offs this will very. The most important thing, in your first year is to just get out of bed each day and work a full day even if you do not have jobs. Talk with people, find accounts, just do something at least five days a week pertaining to your business. If you do this you will be fine.
                            Crappy Days, I feel good about your message. I have Quickbooks Pro Contractor 2007,a bookkeeper that is training me, plus, answering all my questions and tending to my worries Really only have you guy's to talk to in regards to running a plumbing company, I kinda left everyone else behind, I feel I am in good hands though... I have the business account and business license, just waiting on my quotes for workers comp and general liability. I just need to make the transition from employee to employer build a strong foundation Thanks for your post and advice, very much appreciated
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have nothing useful to add; only that this is a great topic to be discussing. Just like westcoast said; we know plumbing, it's the other stuff that hurts the business. Maybe this topic should get its own forum?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X