X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to use a blowbag?

I'm not the smartest nor dumbest plumber out there; I'm in the middle. But for the life of me I've never had luck using blowbags. Any tips on the right way to use them. Which ones are better? The rubber type or the canvas looking ones made by General?

Ben
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: how to use a blowbag?

I have used them from time to time with success. Usually on blockages further then my snake would reach or on really grease filled lines. The only ones I have used have been the cheap black rubber kind. I either go through the clean out past the combo or down the vent past the santee. Unless its the mainline. I always come back and hydro jet or snake the line afterwards as I do not think it properly cleans the line. But I think they are great if you are in a bind.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Canvas bag, I have pulled out many diy failed attempt's with rubber.

I wouldnt use one inside a building but.....the Idea is if you can get it into the pipe with no vents or branches for the pressure to escape to it is supposed to blow out the obstruction not clean the pipe.

Like Crappy said I have also used a large one in a sewer line with a heavy sludge blockage after using the cable with a large whip end and Im in the middle of BFE with no jetter.

Given a little time to work it can move a sludge plug after making it soft with a snake.

Comment

With some patience it can have a jetter effect . Start past the san tee or the base of the stack , let it rinse /pulse and after a minute or two or three , crimp your hose and advance a comfortable distance ,2' ,4' , 6' .Pressurize and repeat . You are limited by your hoses capabilities. I've always used the rubber type but only because I was too cheap to buy the canvas type . I have had a few rubber ones blow on me but they were always still attached to the hose . You acquire a feel for it like anything else .Outstanding for grease ,sludge , sand ..........it has saved my arse many times on a kit . sink blockage that a cable would slice right through but wouldn't move it to the bldg. drain. It works . a jetter is always better [ah, poetry]

Comment

this is better to let mrs. seat down answer

rick.

I'm not sure why I need to respond, but a blowbag is a "poor-man's jetter". It is always best to insert through a cleanout opening making sure that there are no other fixtures or vent pipes affected downstream. The principle behind it is that water is used to inflate a glorified expansion plug to seal against the walls of the pipe and provide a small amount of pulsating water downstream to blast open a minor stoppage. By using a small amount of water with a pulsation effect, it tends to limit the blow-back that a garden hose and rag stuffed over the opening would create. One precaution-make sure someone is monitoring the fixtures in the house to make sure all the "yuckies" are not coming up in a downstream fixture up into the house.

Joey

see i told you joey was qualified to answer this

she knows all you ever wanted to know about blowbags

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            this is better to let mrs. seat down answer

rick.

I'm not sure why I need to respond?

Joey
            Because you can spell, and use the big words Rick does not understand?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Because you can spell, and use the big words Rick does not understand?

Mark

i actually dictated it to joey. she just cleaned it up a little

i do use a blow bag a couple of times a year. you just have to know the tricks or else

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i actually dictated it to joey. she just cleaned it up a little

i do use a blow bag a couple of times a year. you just have to know the tricks or else

rick.
                sorry for the thread necromancy but..

thanks so much for this post! It made a huge difference and cleared my drain line completely when I attacked it for a second time with this advice.

Comment

In between root cutting on My old lateral , I used a $50.00 canvas blow bag. It worked great from the new clean out to blow by soft T.P. stoppages. This was before I purchased
                  Drain cleaning Equept. This is own home. Of course i repaired the problem, more or less.
                  It's spring , I can hear the ROOTS CREEPING IN AGAIN!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If i know the sewer , And know its going to be full of paper sludge, i will blow it out with the blowbag through the clean out.Then run my sewer machine through the line ,with a hose running to wash it out .
                    I just put the bag in a outside clean out push it down the line some and let it build presure, when you get that constant hum it should be open

Comment

Working...
                    X