Hole in vent pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in vent pipe

I accidentally ran a #8 screw through the 1 1/2" PVC vent pipe in the bathroom wall. It's inside the stud at the cutaway. I have limited access to one side and can see the whole with a flashlight. I don't want to remove the drywall to replace the pipe.
    Can I plug it with silicone or something since it's a vent pipe?
    Thanks for the help.

Re: Hole in vent pipe

Is this on the first floor? Are there any fixtures above it? Would water ever run down this pipe for any reason?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by permapak View Post
      I accidentally ran a #8 screw through the 1 1/2" PVC vent pipe in the bathroom wall. It's inside the stud at the cutaway. I have limited access to one side and can see the whole with a flashlight. I don't want to remove the drywall to replace the pipe.
      Thanks for the help.

The best way would be to cut the wall and cut the section out. If you are completely against that idea, then silicone it. is the hole in the vent above the highest flood level rim of a fixture? if you have a stoppage, you will have waste in the vent, if it is below the flood level rim, you will spring a leak
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by permapak View Post
        Thanks for the help.
        i assume that being in spokane, washington you get lots of rain

since it's a vent pipe and is probably never exposed to waste, i wouldn't go too far overboard to properly repair the small hole.

a brass or stainless screw installed in the hole will probably be fine.

keep in mind that the vent extends to the roof and it is very possible that a small amount of rain water will work it's way down the pipe. so you do need to patch it. i just don't feel that you need to open the wall to repair it. since the screw hole is only 1 side, it should be simple.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You can probably just glue the hole several times. If the hole is small enough it should take.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Yes silicone would be a good choice to repair a small hole.

Comment

Working...
            X