X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm quote seems a bit high

Now I may not understand what all is involved in the installation of a hot water heater but I did mine for about 250 bucks all said and done. My mother it law was just quoted $2000 to install a new hot water heater. The plumber pushed her toward a tankless which may make some of the difference but good grief that seems high. I told her I will try to find some time to do the install for her.

Josh

Re: Hmmmm quote seems a bit high

We do 40gal hot water heater for around 600.00 for a good one not a HD brand
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Josh, 2,000 does not sound unreasonable for a tank-less water heater. For a 50 or 40 gallon tank its highway robbery. But for a tank-less it is actually on the low side for CA prices. If you can find out what brand it is I Will be able to tell you more about the plumbers cost and so forth.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

The price of a tankless is a bit more. Alot more if you need to vent to outside.
        Vent pipe very costly. The price of 2000 thousand dollars will seem cheap to you,if you get hurt in doing the work, for your mother-in law. Just tell Ridgid you twisted you back at work. Let worker comp pay

Comment

Yeah I read a bit more on it and it says its 2-4 times as much for installation. Thats pretty dange expensive for a hot water heater. I was making the comparison to 50 gallon tank I put in, probably much easier.

Josh

Comment

Keep in mind to the average life span of a tank-less. They last 2 to 3 times longer than a tank water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
              Keep in mind to the average life span of a tank-less. They last 2 to 3 times longer than a tank water heater.
              I would like to see a reciept with a date of purchase to show me a long lifeline.The first installed tankless I've seen was twelve years ago,three on the roof of a new church complex.I need to get over there and get the maintenance managers input on the tank tankless dispute.I know the posters on this forums views pro and con.Two plumbers I know personally love the money they make to install the tankless systems.I am just too much of a pessimist (sp?).I've seen some unhappy owners,sometimes gas supply inadiquate.I also know they have improved beyond barelly getting by.

Josh,
              Help your mom out,get the water heater into the garage,make some phone calls and find someone who is willing to hook it up for 200.00 cash plus material.Call the supply houses close to her and have them suggest a fare person.If the homeowner has gone to these efforts this is what I would do for him.
              All it takes a qualified plumber is an hour,I don't want to get into a pissing contest about particulars.1 hour with new ball valve,flexxes,strapped and t&p connected to existing plus 1 flu vent 90.This is once I get into the garage and there are no issues.
              Can you or someone else close to your mom provide disposal of the old w/h for the plumber.

Comment

josh, myself and my buddy steve (golf ace) are not fans of tankless. if the tank heater did a good job for your mother in law, stick with it.

$250 for a 50 gallon is not possible these days. probably $350 is close.

tankless are not maintenance free. they require de-liming to keep the warranty valid and heat exchanger clean. they require a larger gas line to supply approx. 190,000 btu's compared to approx. 40,000 btus with a 50 gal. they require a cat. #3 stainless venting if installed indoors. most require power to run. power goes out or a electrical glitch and it's a cold shower.

unless you need tons of hot water to fill a large tub, i would stick with the 40 or 50 gallon heater.

if you need help, i need another vacation. panama almost killed me with a street vendor hot dog i think i now know where dog is hiding. he's somewhere between my small intestine and the sewage treatment plant josh call me to discuss or help. remember you're 2 hours ahead

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Josh, we have Installed over 50 tank-less units in the last 12 months. They are great under the right circumstances large family, new construction, demand such as large whirl pool tub. But I will say if your mother is not going to own the home for around the next ten years its not worth it. Unless she is wealthy and does not mind the upfront cost to convert then I would also stay with the tank. If she does decide to go with a tank-less I would not worry about longevity as they have bean around for over thirty years in Europe and japan. Out of all the tank-less we have installed we received one call back. This was due to the electrician not running power correctly. I cannot speak for all the brands, but I can say Noritz systems are what I install and so far none of my customers have complained. The last unit I installed was last week for a 1200 to 1400 gallon baptismal font. Filled it in about 120 minutes with hot water to spare for kitchen and restrooms.
                  Last edited by Crappy days; 06-15-2007, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    We do 40gal hot water heater for around 600.00 for a good one not a HD brand
                    How much are you paying for the water heater that you can supply and install for about $600? If I can buy the water heater locally for $230 before tax, I could come up with a price of about $600. My local 40 gallon electrics are about $320, and my gas 40 gallons are more. This is something I have been curious about for a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X