Regulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator

With the price of copper and brass continuing to climb. Has any of you started to rebuild regulators rather then replace them. I have rebuilt many large regulators 2 inch and up but usually just replace anything smaller.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Re: Regulator

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
    With the price of copper and brass continuing to climb. Has any of you started to rebuild regulators rather then replace them. I have rebuilt many large regulators 2 inch and up but usually just replace anything smaller.
    Same thing here crappy,unless the customer wants to pay all that money or if the regulator is in too bad condition and i won't be giving the customers a good service
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

i was blown away at the cost of a 1'' champion sprinkler valve. all i needed was the stem. i had plenty of complete automatic valves and bodies, but no manual valves with stems. my plumbing supply house wanted $52 for it and the irrigation supply wanted $34 for it. i guess it's been a long time since i need to buy them.

i'm sitting on 2-2.5'' and 2-3'' wilkins regulators, big money now.

most supply houses don't stock the rebuild kits. and honeywell brauckman
      d-05/d-06 are tuff to get apart without destroying the plastic housing.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I haven't priced out rebuild parts for PRV's, but the one time I did for a 2" RPBA the parts were more than the whole assembly. But, that was 5 years ago.
        Brent

Comment

For what it's worth I use to by Wilkins products form Mark Gerson Plumbing Supply in North Hollywood for 25% less than either Famillian (Fergeaon) or Todds (Hughes) could sell them for. I never really bought anything else from them but I went through cases of regulators. It just goes to show you it doesn't hurt to shop prices against your supplier every once in a while.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I would say about 80 percent of the regulators in San Diego are Wilkinson. It is also what I install. But am open to any suggestions.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              For what it's worth I use to by Wilkins products form Mark Gerson Plumbing Supply in North Hollywood for 25% less than either Famillian (Fergeaon) or Todds (Hughes) could sell them for. I never really bought anything else from them but I went through cases of regulators. It just goes to show you it doesn't hurt to shop prices against your supplier every once in a while.

Mark
              many years back, mark gersons dad also had a small supply house on venice blvd. it was nice as they only had 2 price tiers. not like today the supply houses have 6 pricing matrix's.

i too bought my champion products and repair parts from them.

i almost bought his whole business, but by the time it was offered to me, half the inventory was gone. too bad as the property has probably gone up 10x in the 10+ years he's been out. i know mark from my buddies local hardware store.

small world we live in mark

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                I would say about 80 percent of the regulators in San Diego are Wilkinson. It is also what I install. But am open to any suggestions.

i like the honeywell brauckman regulator as it will accept a second union nut and will fit in the same space as a wilkins 600. it also uses the same half union as the wilkins so you can add the union it comes with and have a direct replacement for the 600. they also handle up to 400# and are adjustable over a larger range.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X