Garden hose washers, with restrictor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden hose washers, with restrictor?

I have been looking for some garden hose washers that have a restrictor, (I have seen some in soaker hoses) but have never seen them offered separately,

the problems is I have freeze proof yard hydrants in the corrals near the stock tanks, (some tanks have built in floats that come up under in the center and are basically freeze proof) but on the summer tanks and temporary tanks I use a clamp on float, and the yard hydrant, and use a short garden hose to attach the float to the hydrant, the hydrants are protected by Rail road ties (used as posts) and then 2x6 lumber to cage them in,

but ever now and then a hose will burst or animals will chew it through, or start to scratch and rip the float off, the tank and some times the hose as well, the problem is you have a hydrant on full, and some times by the time one finds the problem it may have been running for hours and may even up to a day, depending on when the last time the tanks were visually checked,

the float has about 1/8 orifice in them, that is part of the valve system,

and if I could find a hose washer with a 1/8" hole in it to restrict the water to that flow verses full open,

(the hydrants are not that adjustable mostly either off in the flow back mode to drain or full open as if adjusted less the water will some times flow out the drain back in the hydrant), they do make a more expensive type that has more flow control but that is not what the dealer was selling the day I picked them up.
    the little hose end shut off valves seem to leak many times or after a few days of continuously use.

Has any one ever ran across such of a item, and if so source,

(at one time I saw one which was little brass disk with a washer molded around the edge),

I know I can probably make them but if any one has a source please post it,
    thank you,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Garden hose washers, with restrictor?

a faucet washer of the right size works great for this. sometimes i use that as a flow restrictor on a shower head.

also there are such items as an excess flow shut off. look at the "watts" brand of flex connectors, especially the washing machine hoses.

a little bit of tinkering and you're all set.

bhd, you're usually the one that comes up with the good ideas

i'm just a city slicker

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

They also make some inexpensive ball valves that hook to a garden hose. Have a little lever to turn them on and off. That way you could adjust the flow as you wanted.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I can go down to the shop and turn something out on the lathe or have some ideas such as a set of hose adaptors to pipe and a valve, but if it is some thing a cow tongue can reach around it could easily be turned,

but since many times the availability of things are so limited in rural areas,

I have asked a number of the "local suppliers" and they seemed to come up empty.

I was jsut wondering if some one has or had ran across some cheap and simple item I could order for a few dollars,

and the emergency excessive flow shut down valves I have seen on NH3 fertilizer tanks and propane tanks, but have never seen any thing for water.
        (by the way I hear it is kinda exciting to dump over 1000 gallon NH3 tank and rip the hoses off the tank, I have never ripped the hoses off but did have one flip on it side one time. that was enough excitement), similar to the one in the picture below,

also there are such items as an excess flow shut off. look at the "watts" brand of flex connectors, especially the washing machine hoses.
        those look like the ideal thing, I have never seen any place offer them before around here,
        now I will have to find a few, thank you,
        Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What if you took a hose washer with a built in filter (washing machine hose washer) and dropped a faucet flow restrictor inside of the screen portion? It would not be perfect but it would slow the flow.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

BHD

If you have a good hardware store (not HD or Lowes) go there and get a few fender washers for #8 machine screws. I bet you'll like them for this. You might grab some in other sizes while you're at it.

Comment

Working...
            X