Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Self employed plumber here,
    Just registered in hopes that this forum is ok with licensed pro's to exchange idea's and not cater to DIY freebies (geesh it's Ridgid afterall).
    Made the mistake of joining another forum and was all of ostricized for suggesting folks hire a plumber when they ask questions about installing/modifying gas fixtures or large jobs that need experience.
    I 'm a sole proprietor, so it's a small chunk of sanity to be able to "talk shop", but there are only so many trips I can make to the local supplier.
    (feel free to rag on my choice of names...I have a sense of humor
    s 'why I chose it...for those who know)

Re: New here

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Self employed plumber here,
    Just registered in hopes that this forum is ok with licensed pro's to exchange idea's and not cater to DIY freebies (geesh it's Ridgid afterall).
    Made the mistake of joining another forum and was all of ostricized for suggesting folks hire a plumber when they ask questions about installing/modifying gas fixtures or large jobs that need experience.
    I 'm a sole proprietor, so it's a small chunk of sanity to be able to "talk shop", but there are only so many trips I can make to the local supplier.
    (feel free to rag on my choice of names...I have a sense of humor
    s 'why I chose it...for those who know)
    Welcome to the forum. I too am a licensed plumber and a sole proprietor, many of us are in here, we welcome you .
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Welcome aboard hang on for the ride hope your not offended to easy

Comment

Good having you here. I'm sure you'll make a welcome addition. Mars?? Is that East or West Coast?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
          Welcome aboard hang on for the ride hope your not offended to easy
          I'm ugly, smell like a toilet, garlic breath and I mumble to myself in basements...whats to insult?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Good having you here. I'm sure you'll make a welcome addition. Mars?? Is that East or West Coast?
            My wife says it...I'm actually on the east coast...north east

Comment

Hey D/B,

Welcome,and no you won't be looked upon ina negative light.We here like to suggest the DIY'S hire a qualified entity before changing their shorts,as it could be a hazard

Hope you enjoy it here as much as our regulars.Sir Dog shall be along shortly for a groin check,how are you with the canines?

Adam

Comment

Box o' milk-bones under the front seat

Comment

Duckbutter, welcome to the forum. As stated earlier hope you don't become offended easily. There are allot of us who are self employed with different views and thoughts on just about everything. We help one another more then we bicker , so thats the important thing. So do you flat rate or charge time and material ...........Oh on second thought you might not want to answer that . Once again welcome.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Box o' milk-bones under the front seat
                    Perfect,
                    We freaked an apprentice out while working out of town years ago.He made the mistake of passing out while we continued to consume alchohol.Well when he woke up,did you know duck butter isn't water solluable.I swore he was walking strange the next day.NO IT WASN'T WHAT YOU THINK

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                      Duckbutter, welcome to the forum. As stated earlier hope you don't become offended easily. There are allot of us who are self employed with different views and thoughts on just about everything. We help one another more then we bicker , so thats the important thing. So do you flat rate or charge time and material ...........Oh on second thought you might not want to answer that . Once again welcome.

I'd leave dissapointed if everyone agreed...the idea is to debate and learn.
                      I usually do flat rates on things that are common...on the unpredictable "There's a leak and I dunno where it's coming from" type jobs I go the hourly route of course.
                      Had a customer call me tonight and ask "How much to install a double basin with dispoasl, dishwasher and gas stove?"
                      I gave her a price, then she asks "How much just for the stove".
                      I gave the same price.

Comment

DB, I also flat rate to some degree. That was a loaded question, as there are many members who do not care for us flat raters..............So I would ask all the other members to beat me up for this just for tonight. Since DB didn't know how hot this subject is............Sorry I just couldn't resist stirring the pot.
                        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Perfect,
                          We freaked an apprentice out while working out of town years ago.He made the mistake of passing out while we continued to consume alchohol.Well when he woke up,did you know duck butter isn't water solluable.I swore he was walking strange the next day.NO IT WASN'T WHAT YOU THINK

YEah, but at least he had BOTH eyebrows

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                            DB, I also flat rate to some degree. That was a loaded question, as there are many members who do not care for us flat raters..............So I would ask all the other members to beat me up for this just for tonight. Since DB didn't know how hot this subject is............Sorry I just couldn't resist stirring the pot.
                            Works out good...customers are happy to at least know in advance what they'll get hit with, and if you know your pricing, you make out better than hourly. So many jobs are the same thing over and over it's almost an imposition to keep track of how long you're there, just quote a flat rate that you know covers the usual time/stock, make sure you let them know it doesn't include extra's...problems with existing plumbing etc.

Comment

Works out good...customers are happy to at least know in advance what they'll get hit with, and if you know your pricing, you make out better than hourly. So many jobs are the same thing over and over it's almost an imposition to keep track of how long you're there, just quote a flat rate that you know covers the usual time/stock, make sure you let them know it doesn't include extra's...problems with existing plumbing etc.

OH MAN, I THINK THIS IS THE START OF ANOTHER FLAT RATE
                              DISCUSSION THE SH** IS ABOUT TO HIT THE FAN
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X