X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust in new toilet

I picked up a new toilet about a year ago and i`m getting rust stains coming from around the bowl?

I dont live in the country so my water isnt hard and my pipes are all copper.Any idia what might be causing this?

The Mrs is stressing me out to get it off

Re: rust in new toilet

You don't need to live in the country to have hard water, but are you on well, if so do you have a water treatment system, or are you on public water?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

No we are on city water here.Water is pretty good here.

Comment

What does the tank look like? same stains? Do you have two toilets in the house? Both have the same problem?

Comment

I have the the one toilet and its the only one in our condo complex doing that.Checked the tank and nothing seems out of place??

Comment

Any possibility the tank bolts are steel instead of brass? Could a steel nut have fallen in the spud hole and is now rusting? Both are long shots but that's all I can think of.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Does the water in the bowl taste chaulky or is it bitter? This will help me immensely in diagnosing the problem.

Comment

Plumberscrack.I would say it tastes like your mothers cooking a little bitter.

Comment

Ouch! That stings a lil

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Ouch! That stings a lil

Geesh, I like this place, a message board where the members actually have a sense of humor!

Comment

Could someone have put a tank cleaner inside with a wire or something, then forgot about it and it broke apart and is now stuck in the rim of the toilet? long fetch, but without being there it is hard to tell. If the tank is clean as can be, the problem has to be in the bowl. If the problem was in the tank, you would see it, because the water sits in the tank the longest. Is it a two piece toilet or a 1 piece toilet?
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Yea its a 2 piece marina.

??

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post
                          Yea its a 2 piece marina.

??
                          Thanks for the info, I am still thinking about your situation, interesting situation. Nice bike by the way
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Without seeing photos it is tough to figure out what the rust may be from. However, as a Marina water closet is fairly cheap you may want to consider spending the $40 or so and buy a new bowl only. That being said rust comes from a source other than vitreous china. If the rust is bleeding down from under the rim it is possible a piece of metal fell into the bowl inlet and is rusting away inside of the rim. If that is the case you may be able to remove the bowl and try to wash out the rim outside on the driveway.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X