Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want your all's hardest criticism...(Pictures)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want your all's hardest criticism...(Pictures)

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    Mark, as you can see I had a 2" PVC 90*, with a 2"-1 1/2" bushing in it, with a 1 1/4 male trap adapter inside it.
    Try to stay away from flush bushings as they by design leave an area which is non-scouring.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i had the same question too. no vent and what did you use for a joint into the hub? it sort of looks like a hammer in rubber joint?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

"We abhor it here (nightmare scenatio under a finish KS...or bath lav with a newby apprentice)"

Why not teach your apprentice to work neatly and not make a mess? And give them the time (and instruction) to learn to do it right, not just fast. The speed will come naturally later once the proper technique is mastered.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Mark, I used a 2" soil pipe gasket, with a small amount of plumber grease on the inside so the pipe slide in nicely, and some silicone on the outside edge, which would be on the outside of the gasket to the inside of the pipe to make the fit a bit tighter and hopefully block out all the smell. I don't understand what your saying about the bushing, sorry, can you re phrase it?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Here's a larger picture guys.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Looks good overall. Couple of points to add. In VA, clear primer is not allowed. I have a dishpan made by rubbermaid that I use to prime and glue all my joints in. It keeps the mess down. Prime your joints.

Anytime I install a vanity, I use a pvc p-trap because it's more durable. If you must go with metal, get 17 gauge chrome brass. I don't give the customer an option if they want that escutheon plate. I install one no matter what. It's a cleaner look and only cost $3. It shows a higher sense of workmanship. Little things like that matter.

I did an ac service call yesterday for an elderly lady. She had no AC for 2 days. I fixed the problem and sprayed some freshener oil in her airhandler. The whole house smelled great. She got on the phone and told her friend about how good the house smelled, not the cool air. I got another referral. We are in the service business. Don't overlook the little things.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Aaron,

Picture in your head a horizontal pipe which has a 2" X 1 1/2" flush bushing installed in the direction of flow. As the water travels from the 1 1/2" pipe size to the 2" pipe size it does a little hydraulic leap and totally misses the bottom section of the 2" pipe. It's not a big area but it does happen and over time it can cause a stoppage. When and if you start doing camera work you will see what happens at flush bushings.

As far as the connection you made at the cast iron hub, they make a PVC hub adapter which would have prevent the PVC pipe from ever moving. It is possible over time that PVC may start wiggling loose. There also is a Code approved plastic lead which is available for leading in the joint. Sometime it seals rusty cast iron hubs a little better than a hammer in seal.

Mark

Comment

Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, I now understand what your saying.

.... But I don't see it being a problem on a vertical pipe, or am I missing something?
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    To be honest I am not familiar with the Codes in Mars but both the IPC and UPC require purple primer as well as the ASTM Standard for PVC.

Mark
                    Mass, I wouldn't lie to ya.
                    Had this "meaningful debate" with an old boss from Kansas who'd gotten his license here as well, he couldn't understand why we don't require it.
                    Same stuff, with purple color...I cringe at the thought of using it on a finish, the idea of making it visible for inspection makes sense, but I guarantee it's not required here.
                    Hundreds of inspections...never once heard it even mentioned.
                    You'd be VERY surprized at how different the codes are one state to the next...one example...you might know what a "frog eye" tee is...we never use them, nobody sells them here.
                    Mechanical vents also...one state up, NH, they're legal (studor vents)
                    Some states apparently allow indirect wastes into a floor drain on Kitchen sinks...we don't, just commercial DW.
                    Here's an inte3resting one...in some parts of FLA...copper is NOT allowed on water!
                    Due to mineral content.
                    So, for purple primer...thats just a small one...there's a pretty extensive list.
                    We have adapted the uniform gas code...not the plumbing here.

Comment

Duck, where do ya live seriously?
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I am originally from new england as well. Things are different there the people are a lot more (liberal) easy going with things. I have two cousins in the trades back there. They are always telling me things the inspectors let go due to common sense type stuff.

Just having a little fun with the word ( liberal ) play no reason to start any discussions over it.
                        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

what ever happened to using the cardboard box that came with the sink, trap, 2 part waste, or scrap to protect the cabinet. also cardboard makes for a good way to spot a leak.

since abs is used here and typically not pvc waste pipe. we don't use primer on abs but on sprinkler pipe we do

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

You'd be VERY surprized at how different the codes are one state to the next
                            Not really I am licensed there as well. Like I say I don't know where you are so I don't know your Codes. I do find it a little odd that they would not comply with the materials listing standards.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              Mass, I wouldn't lie to ya.
                              Really, I wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                what ever happened to using the cardboard box that came with the sink, trap, 2 part waste, or scrap to protect the cabinet. also cardboard makes for a good way to spot a leak.

since abs is used here and typically not pvc waste pipe. we don't use primer on abs but on sprinkler pipe we do

rick.
                                There's another one...ABS is in our code, but nobody uses it.
                                From what I know, it's advantage is that it doesn't expand/contract like PVC.
                                As for liberal...er...in Cambridge maybe.
                                I grew up where Whitey reigned...not very liberal there.

Comment

Working...
                                X