Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want your all's hardest criticism...(Pictures)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want your all's hardest criticism...(Pictures)

So, the guy next door has known me for years, and used to be a plumber himself, but what old timer hasn't? Anyway when he asked me to installed a pedestal sink at his house awhile ago, I jumped on it, I thought it was amazing that this guy, who could do it without a problem, let me come in and do it. I won over his trust when I completed that job.

He then had me come over to a house he owns, but rents out, since the renters where smelling sewer gases, you name it, I checked it. The renter then talked my neighbor into installing all sorts of fixtures, and re-piping the old 1-1/2 copper drain lines. Well that was music to my ears, since he let me have the work. At the start of this he was like I know a master plumber if we need to call one in. I wasn't about to let a master plumber step onto my ground and rape this people.

I installed the new vanity base, and vanity top with the facet already installed. The new vanity base was taller the the old one, so the drain didn't line up, so when I went to tie on to the 1 1/2 copper line, it moved, and not just alil bit.

I then walked around to the other side, since it was a wash room, hoping to discover no dry wall, but to my disappointment, it was dry walled. I then took some measurements, which were dead on. I then sent a small drill bit from the bathroom out, watching out for the water lines, drain lines, etc... I then cut out a 12"x12" hole, hoping to solve the problem easliy, such as a loose furn coe, but it wasn't and I made a few more clean cuts all the way down.

I then discovered a 2" cast iron line, and a 2" bell just above the poured concrete flour, which a poured lead joint, around the loose 1 1/2 copper drain pipe. I then made a phone call Gear Junkie, just to make sure I wasn't over looking anything. I then beat out the poured lead joint, and let the fun begin. I don't think I have to explain the rest, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

My only question to you guys is, if you were in my shoes(called to a house due to a sewer gas smell), and everything checked out ok, as did on my inspection, how would you come across this, which caused the smell?

Here's the 2" cast iron bell all cleaned up, and ready for the gasket.

Here's the old poured lead joint along with the old 1 1/2 copper drain pipe.

Here's a up close picture on the back side of my work.

The new vanity top and facut.

I also tried to host the pictures a different way this time, since last time some of you had a hard time viewing them...

So bring on the criticism....
    Last edited by Aaron91; 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: I want your all's hardest criticism...(Pictures)

Aaron, where's the primer? Can you show the setup under the sink?

Ben
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I personally never use primer inside a finished house, too big of a risk to make a mess, and yes I know they make clear primer.

And sure, here ya go.

The outside of the vanity doesn't have ripped drywall, that just happened removing the old vanity base. I didn't install the valves, hence why they're crooked. Also the homeowner specifically asked for the flood safe flexible supply lines, thats why I installed them installed of regular supply lines. I know there's no escutcheon either, but he wanted opted out for the Cadillac treatment.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

16!!!!

I'm a tad north of ya.
        Codes completely vary from state to state, but it looks like you nailed the problem..loose lead 'n oakum joint allowing sewer gas in.
        good call.
        In my state we can't use resilient gaskets above ground...would have had to pack/repour the joint...but again...you nailed the problem.
        Your cut was perfect...drywallers like that.
        I generally try to cut neatly but leave distance from the nearest studs so the drywaller can slip strapping in behind the drywall to secure the new piece back in, I can't tell, but I think you did that.
        Well done!

Comment

ONE question, after looking again, where's the vent?

Comment

My cuts are close to the studs, but could use a lil trimming up. Like I said, it's a rented house, and the owner is a bit cheap. But the renter that lives there, does dry wall work, go figure!

Good question. Roughly 12" below that 2" Cast Iron Bell, is the 4" main sewer line. Just a few feet away is the main stack/vent.

I didn't think I did too bad, considering for the past few months I've only been doing sewer and water lines.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

OK...lemme get this out...THAT might be the problem, without a vent there you have a "full S trap"
              I'd call the L-lord tomorrow and ask if the tennants were able to smell anything...If thats the case...look up local code for mechanical venting.
              If mechanical vents aren't perm,itted (they're not in my state)...you might have to have him get a plumbing outfit, gets more complicated than simple drain connection.
              Also...careful...I'm sure your neighbot is a good guy n all, but if anything were to go wrong...

Comment

Aaron,

Be creful of what you ask for!

Check your codes, the only approved PVC primer (which is required regardless of location) is purple in color. It looks like you did a fine job but I am assuming your jurisdiction does not require vents above the trap arm. It appears you did not use a hub adapter so the owner will likely experience the same problem again some day. What material did you use to lead your joint in(plastic lead)? I generally cut the drywall back to the middle of the studs with a paneling saw then screw the drywall back on when I am done.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Aaron,

What did you use to adapter the 2" PVC to connect the trap.

Mark

Comment

ToUtahNow, what do you mean by what material did I use to lead my joint?
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Check your codes, the only approved PVC primer (which is required regardless of location) is purple in color. Mark
                      Actually....no
                      I've worked with out-of-state plumbers...apparently the purple color is so inspectors can see it's been used and it IS required in SOME states.
                      Not here.
                      We abhor it here (nightmare scenatio under a finish KS...or bath lav with a newby apprentice)

Comment

Mark, as you can see I had a 2" PVC 90*, with a 2"-1 1/2" bushing in it, with a 1 1/4 male trap adapter inside it.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Yeah I mean I use it on new homes so I and the inspector both know whats completed and whats not. It doesn't matter if your new to the game or not, if you use purple primer under a kitchen sink or lavatory sink, it will catch up to you within time, and it's not like those few joints need primer, as long as the pipe and fittings are cleaned of burrs and any dirt/debris. Just my .02 cents though...
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Actually....no
                            I've worked with out-of-state plumbers...apparently the purple color is so inspectors can see it's been used and it IS required in SOME states.
                            Not here.
                            We abhor it here (nightmare scenatio under a finish KS...or bath lav with a newby apprentice)
                            To be honest I am not familiar with the Codes in Mars but both the IPC and UPC require purple primer as well as the ASTM Standard for PVC.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                              ToUtahNow, what do you mean by what material did I use to lead my joint?
                              I was wondering what you used instead of poured lead?

Comment

Working...
                              X