Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piping air line from basement into the garage - help needed

Hey guys,

After lots of reading I think I'm ready to plunge into the world of hard air lines.

As ill be running a small compressor (Ingersoll Rand 24gal 2HP 5.7@90psi) I need to limit the amount of air pressure loss within a large distance of pipe. It will be around 75ft from compressor to hose reel (which then has 50ft 3/8" hose), so in the end it will be around 125ft from compressor to air tool. I am running 3/8" couplers/fittings so that should hopefully limit the amount of loss.

I was looking at using 1/2" copper pipe as 3/4" is about double the cost, would the 1/2" perform equality to the 3/4"? Should it be type M or L?

I attached a picture of a mockup of my soon to be garage setup. You can see where the pipes start (drilled through concrete from basement), now the question is, should I do it with a gradual slope (green line) or with a more aggressive slope (pipe impage) to my regulator/filter?

One last question, should I put a 2nd filter inline in my basement aswell (somewhere in the middle of the run) or just have the one at the end of the line (in garage beside regulator)? It's rated at 20 micron, so I'm not sure if thats good or bad. I picked it up at Princess Auto (Canadian version of HF)

NOTE: The air lines will be against the wall so it wont be obstructing anything (allot of people didn't figure this out)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikeweb; 06-30-2007, 06:58 PM.

Re: Piping air line from basement into the garage - help needed

Your plan looks pretty sound to me. As far as pressure loss in the piping and hose, there shouldn't be any if your joints are properly soldered and you use quality ball valves on your drops. Actually, 125ft of tubing and hose will increase add some air storage in addition to the 24gal in the tank.

½" Type L would be my first choice of tubing but Type M will also work. I'd also only go with one filter.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Take a look at the thread titled "air compressor plumbing". I think you'll find the answer you're looking for.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

^^ I did, didn't really answer my questions though

Comment

Buddy, It looks like you have about +/- 35' of pipe there plus your hose reel. You didn't mention what you are running off of this system, which would be the most important part of sizing it, but assuming you are running homeowner power tools, I would say you are more than alright with 1/2".

If you want it accurately sized let us know what the largest demand you would using, the accurate linear feet of piping run, and if I'm in the mood I'll size it for you, or someone on this forum might do it for you as well.
          Last edited by plumbdog10; 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM.
          the dog

Comment

^ your right, the majority of it will be in the basement running from my furnace room to the front of the house (where it will enter into the garage)

Working on cars is a hobby for me, more mechanical work then body. The tools I use include: Impact gun, ratchet, air hammer, drill, cutoff wheel and die grinder. All these units are rated between 4-4.8cfm

I re-measured and I'm looking at 73ft +/- a few inches, plus a run of 50' hose

Thanks for the help
            Last edited by mikeweb; 06-30-2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

1/2" L copper is a good choice. If you could use long radius refrigeration fittings in place of regular 90° ELLs that would help with flow and pressure drop, along with planning your layout to avoid unnecessary turns and restrictions. Every fitting will cost you with regard to flow and pressure. Two 45s would be better than a 90 ELL as far as flow and pressure drop go. Just depends on how carried away you want to get with minimizing losses.

You'd need 5/8" size fittings to use on 1/2" hard drawn copper tube. HVAC copper and fittings are sized by the OD, not the nominal size.

I'd put a filter/moisture separator first thing off the compressor immediately after the main shutoff valve and before any other connection.

You're talking about taking warm inside air outside to a space that most likely will be cooler (even if heated in winter). That warmer air will have the capacity to carry moisture with it that will condense out in the cooler air and also as it impinges on the inside of the pipe at every turn, valve, reducer, etc (another reason to avoid extra turns or obstructions). Put a second moisture separator/PRV w/filter in the shop.

Since the compressor is going to be remote to the work space it will be easy to forget to drain the water from the tank. "I'll do it tomorrow" which turns into next week and pretty soon you have a quart of water sloshing around in the tank. So force yourself to drain the tank regularly.

I really don't understand why a time delay relay and solenoid is not included on at least the larger compressors (220V w/30 Gal tanks) to blow off for a couple seconds every time the compressor stops having reached the setpoint pressure. Very simple circuit that can be added to just about any compressor. It could also just as easily be set to blow off on start-up which might have an advantage in some situations.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the good info guys!

One thing that I'm a little confused about is to how you guys connected your hoses/fittings to the copper pipe. I take it you can purchase copper pipe fittings (adapters) with threads already cut into it? for example 1/2" NPT?

Example, I want to connect the inlet side of the filter (1/2" NPT) to the copper T fitting, how would this be accomplished?

All the fittings I got look like they are zinc coated, hopefully they are the correct stuff (see link)

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=628853

Sorry for all the questions as I know they are basic, but I got to learn eventually

Comment

Yes copper fittings are available which go from copper to male or female NPT.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

AWW Quit,Sorry,nothing doing,
                    Thats what we're here for.

Your looking for a copper X F.I.P. or M.I.P very available.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      AWW Quit,Sorry,nothing doing,
                      Thats what we're here for.

Your looking for a copper X F.I.P. or M.I.P very available.

Adam
                      You're are absolutely correct. I should have specified fittings are available in:

CXC
                      CXFTG
                      CXFIP
                      CXMIP
                      FTGXFIP
                      FTGXMIP

But I think he got my point.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

^ I have no idea what all those mean but thanks

Copper x FIP = Female Iron Pipe
                        Copper x MIP = Male Iron Pipe

I take it Home Depot will have all this stuff? I'll also be sure to bring in some K-Y as they are going to rape me when it comes to prices on pipe and fittings

Looks like this?

Last edited by mikeweb; 07-01-2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Yes,
                          There prices are going to be ok

Comment

So to seal it I just use teflon tape?

Comment

Working...
                            X