150ft commode to septic run?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150ft commode to septic run?

Yes I got the OK from the township. We are out in the county, not in the city. Are you guys going to help me or not?

Comment

OK, yes go with the little giant if it will work (head flow etc.), you need to maintain a minimum velocity of 2 ft/sec to prevent stopages and keep the pipe clean. 150' of 2" pipe at say 6ft of dynamic head with a straight run requires a pump that will provide 30 GPM at 8ft TDH. If you pump will do this go ahead, you will have to check the pump curve. You grinder pump will have to fit the same criteria. Now, if it is in your budget you can install a septic tank before the pump station to seperate the solids and eliminate the grinder pump all together.

Your septic tank should be 1.5x your daily flow. In NY your daily flow would be 15 GPD per Customer and 35 GPM per employee. Say ther will be 2 employees and 15 customers your daily flow would be 295 GPD, 1.5 times that would be 442.5 so lets say 500 Gallons. Then you would need to make sure your septic system is big enough. Just because it has been idle isnt a big deal. Why was it abandoned anyway?

Like I said before In my proffessional opinion as an engineer, plumber and licensed Septic System Installer and designer, I would recomend you discharge your effleunt line into the distribution or junction box.

In my area this job would have to be done by a licensed installer. Before you go any further I would make sure that you have any and all permits in place and not require any special licenseing to protect yourself in the the long run. Should the septic leach out into your water supply or someone elses they can become very well and yes it is possible to prove where it came from the the fines are VERY heavy where I live. BTW I live in the country too. Any further questions feel free to post but I think I summed everything up fairly clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        OK, yes go with the little giant if it will work (head flow etc.), you need to maintain a minimum velocity of 2 ft/sec to prevent stopages and keep the pipe clean. 150' of 2" pipe at say 6ft of dynamic head with a straight run requires a pump that will provide 30 GPM at 8ft TDH. If you pump will do this go ahead, you will have to check the pump curve. You grinder pump will have to fit the same criteria. Now, if it is in your budget you can install a septic tank before the pump station to seperate the solids and eliminate the grinder pump all together.

Your septic tank should be 1.5x your daily flow. In NY your daily flow would be 15 GPD per Customer and 35 GPM per employee. Say ther will be 2 employees and 15 customers your daily flow would be 295 GPD, 1.5 times that would be 442.5 so lets say 500 Gallons. Then you would need to make sure your septic system is big enough. Just because it has been idle isnt a big deal. Why was it abandoned anyway?

Like I said before In my proffessional opinion as an engineer, plumber and licensed Septic System Installer and designer, I would recomend you discharge your effleunt line into the distribution or junction box.

In my area this job would have to be done by a licensed installer. Before you go any further I would make sure that you have any and all permits in place and not require any special licenseing to protect yourself in the the long run. Should the septic leach out into your water supply or someone elses they can become very well and yes it is possible to prove where it came from the the fines are VERY heavy where I live. BTW I live in the country too. Any further questions feel free to post but I think I summed everything up fairly clearly.
        Wrench Spinner I appreciate the help. Especially from a busy professional such as your self. The septic was with a mobile home on the property. It was pulled out and the septic was no longer needed.

The pump is 60 gpm at 10 ft of head. Thanks for calculating that.

In reality we found it takes 6 gallon max for us to wash somebody's hair. This may happen maybe 6 times a day on a busy day. Not every day is busy. 36 gallons a day max.

Thanks for the warnings, we are playing it safe and will keep an eye on things. This is only temporary. We have to start somewhere.

What is the big deal on the junction box?

One question, if I was going to pre run a grinder pump line the 140 ft, what size would it be? Most pumps I looked at where 1" to 1.25". Would 2 inch work? We will probably go with the tank before the pump station, but that is in the future. I just don't want to dig this up again, and it is easier to throw it in the hole now just in case.

Comment

Go with the 500 gallon septic tank, smallest you can get anyway. The reason I say after the septic tank IF you put one in befoer the pump pit is to minimze disruption in the septic tank. That is where the "work" gets done the bacteria break down the wastes and turn it into liquid, by mixing it up with a discharge line from a pump it hinders that bacterialogical breakdown. IF you put the septic tank in you DONT need the grinder pump. Your grinder pump would need the same specs as the regular effleunt pump you will put in. But your pump is a bit high on the spectrum. You will want to make sure you install a check valve and a ball valve to slow the flow down a bit to prevent eroding the pipe.

I would like to see you put in the septic tank, then after that the pump station in its own precast pit then run your 2" force main into the d or j box.

If you do not use a septic tank before the pump pit you have to pump into the septic tank. If you go with the grinder pump you can use the same line as you would for the effluent pump.
          Last edited by wrench spinner; 03-19-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X