X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent for Kitchen Sink!

I have a question regarding the vent for my kitchen sink.

The kitchen sink is up against the exterior wall and I'm living in the north. I don't want the vent to go through the exterior wall because it may freeze.

The kitchen sink is around 18 feet from the main vent/waste 4" that goes through the roof.

What should I do for the vent???

Thanks a lot!

Re: Vent for Kitchen Sink!

Maybe you could install an automatic vent under the sink inside cabnet.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankPlumber View Post
      The kitchen sink is up against the exterior wall and I'm living in the north. I don't want the vent to go through the exterior wall because it may freeze.

There is no problem with the vent being in the exterior wall, we do it all the time here in Canada. Any portion of the drain, on the other hand, can not be in the exterior wall. Typically a k/s on an exterior wall is flat vented. (most k/s are under a window). The drain comes up through the floor, into the cabinet to pick up the k/s then the vent rises as high as possible before entering the outside wall and then, over, up and out. As well as providing a c/o for the drain, you must provide a c/o to access the flat portion of the vent.

k/s = kitchen sink
      c/o = clean out
      flat vent = the horizontal portion of a vent located below the flood level rim of the fixture(s) the vent serves.
      You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Is it gonna be a wet vent? If not it wont matter if the air in the vent freezes.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          Is it gonna be a wet vent?
          Our code specifies no drains in exterior walls, a wet vent is considered a drain. Not too many wet vented k/s these days.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
            Our code specifies no drains in exterior walls, a wet vent is considered a drain. Not too many wet vented k/s these days.

You know it gets cold when thats in yer code, ironically we don't allow wet vents on Kitchen sinks.

Comment

I don't understand,
              If the kitchen is on an exterior wall and it's waste stack or vent is serving no other fixture,What are we calling a wet vent

p.s.
              Aaron, glad to see you decided to hang in there and take another shot with your forum.With this kind of tenacity and commititment to wanting to do plumbing correctly I'm sure you will be a great plumber like many I respect here
              Last edited by drtyhands; 07-03-2007, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Here's my problem. Frankplumber is not a plumber, he is an engineer. If he wants advice, how about being honest and asking for it, then being a member of the forum and giving engineering advice to those who need it. Oh, that's different. He's here for free advice, then he moves on, because his advice is too valuable.
                I guarantee you once he gets the info he needs you will never hear from him again.
                the dog

Comment

RIGHT ON,
                  Dogs got the Fourth Of July off and going to spend the night on the prowl

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    RIGHT ON,
                    Dogs got the Fourth Of July off and going to spend the night on the prowl
                    The dog is always on the prowl. Sniffin' and snortin'. And......looking out for you less savvy guys (not you dyrty). I like plumbers and hate to see them get screwed because of their egos.
                    the dog

Comment

Frankplumber,
                      Looks like Hondahead got your issue covered,so you don't mind if we play with your thread a little do you

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                        The dog is always on the prowl. Sniffin' and snortin'. And......looking out for you less savvy guys (not you dyrty). I like plumbers and hate to see them get screwed because of their egos.

WOW, rick must put you in alot of pain dog (just playin rick, I couldn't resist)
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          WOW, rick must put you in alot of pain dog (just playin rick, I couldn't resist)
                          robert, i didn't respond to this one. i'm not up on the cold stuff

i feed the dog all my scraps

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                            Here's my problem. Frankplumber is not a plumber, he is an engineer. If he wants advice, how about being honest and asking for it, then being a member of the forum and giving engineering advice to those who need it. Oh, that's different. He's here for free advice, then he moves on, because his advice is too valuable.
                            I guarantee you once he gets the info he needs you will never hear from him again.
                            I think I'd wanna see some credentials from this guy before taking his engineering advice, on his word he's an engineer.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                              I think I'd wanna see some credentials from this guy before taking his engineering advice, on his word he's an engineer.
                              i've been trying to get it mandatory to list ones occupation and location. of course there is no way to verify if its true, but at least we can weed out the phonies.

location helps in determining code and jurisdiction. there are still some on this plumbing forum that are too shy or not proud enough to list anything.

josh, got your ears on dogs ears are always listening

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X