Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Emergency or Home Depot is a Joke!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Emergency or Home Depot is a Joke!

So I am out on the treadmill this morning and my wife comes in to asks me what I would think of a tank-less water heater. I explained to her I felt if she wanted more hot water it would be OK but that it was not necessarily a cost effective replacement. She then says something like “Oh well the garage floor is flooded because the other heater is leaking”.

So I go out and look at the heater and sure enough there is water leaking from the top of the heater. I cannot see where the water is coming from but it is coming up through the top of the heater. Just about then my daughter shows up with her family to pick up some binoculars on their way to vacation in Yellowstone. I asked my son-in-law to turn off the water, break the brass unions, and pull the brass nipples re-dope them and turn the water back on to make sure that is not the problem.

When I walk inside to my office there was a message from PlumberRick on my phone. I give Rick a call and he tells me how much he adores his lovely wife. I explained what was going on and Rick offers me a water heater. I explained I was hoping I would not need a heater but I would keep him in mind. As I am hanging up the phone one of my sons walks in to tell me the heater has a leak in the tank and it needs to be replaced. I told him it’s Sunday and I don’t want to mess with it today and asked him to help his sister get what they needed so they could leave for their trip.

When my daughter got everything together I helped her figure out what everything was and which items I was willing to take her life over (not really) and which items I didn’t care about. All of a sudden I hear a motorcycle pull in my driveway and it is one of my ex-plumbers. I said hello and asked what was up. He told me my son and called and they were going to change out my water heater (thank goodness I didn’t call the flat-rate company yet ).

My water heater is a little tight as I have a 60-gallon air compressor sitting in front of and to the side of my 50-gallon water heater. Since I no longer have a shop full of water heaters I was stuck with getting a GE water heater from Home Depot . When the guys got there they called and asked if I thought my wife would like a 60-gallon heater instead. I told them she would love it but it would not fit. However, when they gave me the measurements for the new heater it was shorter than my existing heater, it had the same size vent and it was only ½” wider. Well we couldn’t figure how they did it but knew they would look like heroes to my wife if she could fill her Jacuzzi more than once a night in scalding hot water.

So they bring the heater to the house and I already have the area ready for them. They lift the heater up on to the platform and voila it doesn’t fit! I look at the markings which are silk screened on the box and they clearly say the heater is 49 ½” high by 21 ¾” wide with a 3” vent. I get out my trusty tape and find regardless of what the box says the heater is really 58” high by 22 ½” and it requires a 4” vent.

Of course we could make it work but it pissed me off to have to make it work because the printing on the box was wrong. So while the guys installed the heater I went online to look at the GE Water Heater Web Site. What a totally worthless piece of garbage their Web Site is. It contains little to no information and keeps trying to get you to go to Home Depot (exclusive distributor) for your answers.

Finally I fell for their trick and I entered the automated phone system at Home Depot. After choosing several different selections I finally got a real person who said she would have to transfer me. After quite a while she finally figured out where I needed to be and sent me to a number which said it does not take incoming calls and hung up on me. Out of frustration I decided to let the guys tell the plumbing dept. at Home Depot when they went back for the 4” vent.

As it turned out the guy at the plumbing department had some stupid reply about no one else complains about the misinformation so he wasn’t concerned. At that point I made a friendly call to the store manager and suggested they call GE and X out the markings on the box until they start getting the correct boxes.

I guess now I understand a little better how a DIY feels when they are limited to Home Depot for help. I also understand how important it is to have your kids living close by and having plumbers who remember who taught them what they know and don’t mind offering to give a little back. Overall it really was a great day.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Sunday Emergency or Home Depot is a Joke!

Utah,

I'll be honest, I got through roughly half of your story and it was going nowhere. You are a consultant, use your expertise to figure it out, or get to the point.
    the dog

Comment

Were there to many words, not enough pictures? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
      Last edited by gear junkie; 07-01-2007, 10:20 PM. Reason: fgdw
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Should of read it all the way... quite interesting and the man makes valid points.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          Utah,

I'll be honest, I got through roughly half of your story and it was going nowhere. You are a consultant, use your expertise to figure it out, or get to the point.
          LOL-Sorry dog here is the Reader's Digest version of my post:

Home Depot stinks, family and friends do not, life is good.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

GE water heaters suck, sorry, I have pulled so many out, some as new as 6 months old, second, I have been running into alot of water heaters leaking from the top, more then normal, what kind was your old one? (I tried re-installing the nipples, with dope, didn't work)

3rd, I believe if you called the flat rate company, yes, you would have paid a bit more, but you would have sat on your couch the whole time, enjoyed your day off and wouldn't have had to deal with all that drama.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              LOL-Sorry dog here is the Reader's Digest version of my post:

Home Depot stinks, family and friends do not, life is good.

Mark
              Utah,

You understand I was just doing some traditional plumber's ribbing, but I'll be nailed for this. It's just that you are the code expert on this forum, I don't need you to tell me Home Depot blows. On the other hand, there are some who don't understand it, so your post was probably a good idea. I should have stayed out of it, but like you I'm standing back and watching with laughter. Have a good 4th of July.
              the dog

Comment

mark, this was the same heater that i had my brother purchase when american home shield cashed him out a couple of months ago.

it was actually a better price at h.d than my supply house. it's a rheem heater with a g.e. tag.

i told you i have a heater for you. even had a new 50 already in the truck for monday morning.

so instead of calling me to help you out you let me take joey shopping to costco and spend $1200. on a 42'' flat screen

i thought we were friends. it would have been cheaper to deliver, install, and give you the heater, than to go shopping with joey

next time please take me up on my offer

actually, you made a good choice on that heater as it's a 12 year warranty and i would have done the same tankless is still at my shop waiting for a sucker

plus joey likes to use the impact gun to install the e.q. straps.

it would have been real impressive if your son picked me up in the copter and we loaded the heater. my neighbors would have even more respect for me.

rick and joey.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  Hi Mark,

GE water heaters suck, sorry, I have pulled so many out, some as new as 6 months old, second, I have been running into alot of water heaters leaking from the top, more then normal, what kind was your old one? (I tried re-installing the nipples, with dope, didn't work)

3rd, I believe if you called the flat rate company, yes, you would have paid a bit more, but you would have sat on your couch the whole time, enjoyed your day off and wouldn't have had to deal with all that drama.
                  I thought it was an older American Appliance but as it turned out is was a 6 1/2-year old American.

I was of course teasing about calling a flat-rate company. Because I have to be in San Diego tomorrow morning I was going to have my old shop do it. I nstead I got to visit with a plumber I have known since he was a little guy. We talked a lot about what equipment he is using and what I thought he might want to consider.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    Utah,

You understand I was just doing some traditional plumber's ribbing, but I'll be nailed for this. It's just that you are the code expert on this forum, I don't need you to tell me Home Depot blows. On the other hand, there are some who don't understand it, so your post was probably a good idea. I should have stayed out of it, but like you I'm standing back and watching with laughter. Have a good 4th of July.
                    Thanks I took it as good hearted ribbing. Anyone who dicounts your contribution here or to the Trade is making a big mistake.

Mark

Comment

Rick,

It just was one of those days when every time I turned around some one else was here to visit. The son who ended up doing the heater has been working double 10-hour shifts because of the terrorist stuff in Scotland. He had planned to come up here to get some rest and instead went into over time. We really did have a lot of fun though.

Mark

Comment

I enjoy a good trip to home depot.
                        I like to listen in on the tutorials the "plumbing guy" gives Harry the happy homeowner on how to replace his water heaters T&P (did he say 30 psi? or 150?).
                        Then there's the "pro" desk...you can call in your order for pick-up...just hope he knows what an end cleanout is and the difference between a tee-wye and a garbage disposal.
                        The cashiers are cute too.

Comment

Working...
                        X